Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79-UD3 and VT-x that does not work

Hi
    I already posted about it in beta BIOS-thread, but with release F14 BIOS nothing has changed
    I will remind
    This is my BIOS settings

And this is my CPU-Z screenshot with this BIOS settings

Certainly, programs it is required to which VT-x don't work

My CPU support VT-x ark.intel.com
    And this is screenshot which it proves from internet

Last BOIS which was working well VT-x is F11 or earlier, but with it i have regular freezes

Re: X79-UD3 and VT-x that does not work

I can confirm that VT-d causes random freeze on Gigabyte X79-UP4 with BIOS F2, F3p, F3t.

CPU i7-3930K S-Spec: SR0KY Stepping C2

I didn't update to Beta BIOS F3u yet. I don't know if Gigabyte did anything to fix it or not.

Anyway VT-d is not working at all. Since February 2013 that I got the board from Amazon UK I kept having random freezes every 4 to 6 hours with BIOS F2 under Windows7 x64 SP1, every 9-12 hours with BIOS F3p and F3t on average.

It was a real pain and I lost data multiple times due to the freezing bug.

Gigabyte GGTS support replied me that they never experienced the bug and it was my fault.

I am going to report to Intel telling them that Gigabyte as an OEM for Intel fails at giving its customers the needed Intel updates to fix such a critical bug.

I disabled VT-d and Intel Acceleration Technology in BIOS. This way it's stable and doesn't freeze anymore.

Comment

Sardelkin,

I've also updated to F14, and VT-x is still working here. It's very strange... Apart from Windows, could you test VT-x functionality with something else? Perhaps installing an ESXi 5.1, just for testing. Also, did you try a complete Clear CMOS? Maybe removing the battery for a few minutes and configure everything again.

Zerowing,

I've read problems with VT-d (which is not the same as VT-x) with other manufactures. In my case, it's fully functional (USB2, USB3, HD7950 connected to a Virtual Machine with Pass-through on ESXi 5.1) . Anyway, I don't get why you need VT-d on a Windows 7 x64 installation. Does Windows 7 even support it? I don't really know much about Hyper-V, that's why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Andres Gonzalez Biront View Post
        Sardelkin,I've also updated to F14, and VT-x is still working here. It's very strange...
        With same CPU and BIOS setting?
        Apart from Windows, could you test VT-x functionality with something else? Perhaps installing an ESXi 5.1, just for testing.
        Yes
        this is virtualbox error when all virtualization options are enabled

and this screnenshot when enabled only Intel Virtualization Technology

Comment

Sardelkin,

VirtualBox is a Type 2 Hypervisor, it relies on the Host Operating System (Windows, Linux), so it's running in a software layer. If the Host OS is having issues with the VT-x, or for some reason doesn't pass the VT-x instructions, VirtualBox will fail. I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it will help to narrow down the issue. You could download a copy of ESXi 5.1, and try to install it. If ESXi can't see the VT-x instructions it won't install, and that would lead to a BIOS problem, 'cause the BIOS is in charge of showing or masking the flags that tells the Hypervisor (or OS) the available instructions.

With VirtualBox you have another layer... (I guess Windows in your case), and it will more difficult to know who's fault it is.

Edit:
          I've just checked. I disabled VT-x and VT-d in the BIOS and started a new installation of ESXi 5.1
          After selecting the hard disk where I wanted to install a warning appeared saying the CPU or the BIOS didn't support Hardware Virtualization. It prompts to cancel or continue (I thought you couldn't continue, VT-x is a must have).

Anyway, if you see that same warning with VT-x enabled, then there is something broken on your BIOS or your CPU. If you don't see that warning, there is something wrong with your current Host/Hypervisor configuration.
          Last edited by Andres Gonzalez Biront; 07-31-2013, 01:59 AM.

Comment

I can't install ESXi 5.1 because

And i don't think that the problem is OS. I can downgrade BIOS to earlier version and VT-x will work well, but with random freeze

Comment

Working...
            X