Who would go Gigabyte again ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who would go Gigabyte again ?

Gigabyte said themselves "updates were suspended for bios' whilst z87 was in development' or words to that effect.

That right there is why a lot of people are going to be leaving Gigabyte.
    You don't leave people blowing in the wind with a current generation board to go work on your next money maker.
    Shows where their focus is - and it's not on current loyal customers.

Best thing Gigabyte can do now is roll out continuous, frequent, up-to-date (Raid, microcode , ROMs) and bug free BIOS updates for existing boards back at least to the Z68's - and then, just maybe, Gigabyte wont see such a huge drove of enthusiasts leaving their brand for other companies that at least provide up to date bug free BIOS'.

Comment

I used Gigabyte for the past 3 years across 4 different boards. When my z77x-ud5h started to die I decided to just upgrade to Haswell, along with moving to a z87-pro.

So far my experience has been great. The Asus BIOS is by far so much better than any Gigabyte I have used previously.

Comment

My comments are neither for or against Gigabyte, or a commentary on the other posts in this thread. They are simply observations.

The last Gigabyte board I had (have) is a socket 775 board that still works fine and is used in a working PC in my household.

I have seen a significant amount of posts on this and other forums regarding the strange BIOS behavior of some newer Gigabyte boards.

OTOH, some of the longest threads in this forum are those dedicated to Gigabyte board usage, and they aren't complaint threads. Some very experienced PC enthusiasts post in those threads about their Gigabyte boards. They don't seem to be fighting with problems using those boards.

So who knows?

Comment

Apparently those people are not using Z77 boards. I never had a problem until now, really.

Comment

yes...was very comfortable with Gigabyte in the past but the last 3 mobos have giving me probs. One so bad( new ) I sold it and brough a later model that I also had probs with. Now I am having probs with my older 55 series mobo . Something wrong as it takes ages to load the ahci bios...

I think in these times its a case of getting them out there asap and let the customers do the testing. With desktops dropping in popularity for home users I guess its not the cash cow they once were and the first thing to suffer is reliability.

One more little note , I have no idea how reliable the other brands are but whatever I get next it will be a case of REVISION 2 .... they should actually call rev 1 mobos beta

I just want the boxes clearly labelled rev2
            Asus Strix X99 Intel 6800K Corsair Dominator 4x8gm 2666 DDR4b Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Corsair HX1000iPSU Corsair 780T Corsair H115i CPU Cooler Samsung 950 M.2

Comment

Originally posted by will_s View Post
              yes...was very comfortable with Gigabyte in the past but the last 3 mobos have giving me probs. One so bad( new ) I sold it and brough a later model that I also had probs with. Now I am having probs with my older 55 series mobo . Something wrong as it takes ages to load the ahci bios...

I think in these times its a case of getting them out there asap and let the customers do the testing. With desktops dropping in popularity for home users I guess its not the cash cow they once were and the first thing to suffer is reliability.

One more little note , I have no idea how reliable the other brands are but whatever I get next it will be a case of REVISION 2 .... they should actually call rev 1 mobos beta

I just want the boxes clearly labelled rev2
              Speaking of Revisions, who else besides Gigabyte does that? Or to the extent that Gigabyte does? That is, many of their boards have revisions, some up to three or four.

Or is Gigabyte being honest, and labeling changes in the board with a revision number, while other manufactures never list revisions?

Comment

Some GB mobo revisions appeared to be merely cosmetic changes, such as a change in the mobo's heatsinks. Doing a binary compare of some of the bios versions for different revisions might show that different revisions sometimes or often share identical bioses. Some hardware changes might be due to fixing hardware bugs or problems that can't be solved with a bios fix.

I recently discovered that at least one of their EP35 motherboard models had a GA-EP35-xxxx model number sticker on top of the GA-P35-xxxx printed on the motherboard's surface. I don't want to be too cynical, but with a popular motherboard that is in demand for a long time, it wouldn't surprise me if the marketing department "ordered" newer revisions to mis-lead customers into believing that the newest revs were the latest and greatest models. On their web page for each model, they include links to all the other revisions with the same model name, sometimes up to four motherboard revision numbers. Anyone care to see if they can find five or more revisions for any of the models?

I doubt that I'll live long enough to ever see any motherboard manufacturer provide a reasonably comprehensive list of hardware changes, fixes and known issues for motherboards and/or bios releases.
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I sent a ticket to Gigabyte's (completely useless, as it turns out every single time I need something from them) support asking what the difference between Z77X-UD3H rev1 and 1.1 was, and they couldn't even give me meaningful answer.

I don't think revisions bring any drastic changes though, not when just the lesser number differs at least. But noone knows what's under the hood, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Octopuss View Post
                    I sent a ticket to Gigabyte's (completely useless, as it turns out every single time I need something from them) support asking what the difference between Z77X-UD3H rev1 and 1.1 was, and they couldn't even give me meaningful answer.

I don't think revisions bring any drastic changes though, not when just the lesser number differs at least. But noone knows what's under the hood, so...
                    I spent over a month sending them info and replying to them while testing X79-UP4 BIOS F2 to F3p to F3t to get the critical random freezing bug solved.
                    They first asked me to try the beta releases, then when I reported them that the bug was not fixed and if they could assemble a new beta with all the latest Intel updates (microcode,management engine firmware,Intel lan rom,Intel iRST rom) they refused and negated the issue. Really rude and unprofessional.
                    Just a few years ago when one of their motherboards didn't have support for a new Intel CPU I asked them to please add support for it and they did.
                    Gigabyte is going downhill pretty fast these days.

Comment

They took an year to update the bios of Z77-D3H to support my ddr3 2000Mhz at this speed, but at least they did

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                        Some GB mobo revisions appeared to be merely cosmetic changes, such as a change in the mobo's heatsinks. Doing a binary compare of some of the bios versions for different revisions might show that different revisions sometimes or often share identical bioses. Some hardware changes might be due to fixing hardware bugs or problems that can't be solved with a bios fix.

I recently discovered that at least one of their EP35 motherboard models had a GA-EP35-xxxx model number sticker on top of the GA-P35-xxxx printed on the motherboard's surface. I don't want to be too cynical, but with a popular motherboard that is in demand for a long time, it wouldn't surprise me if the marketing department "ordered" newer revisions to mis-lead customers into believing that the newest revs were the latest and greatest models. On their web page for each model, they include links to all the other revisions with the same model name, sometimes up to four motherboard revision numbers. Anyone care to see if they can find five or more revisions for any of the models?

I doubt that I'll live long enough to ever see any motherboard manufacturer provide a reasonably comprehensive list of hardware changes, fixes and known issues for motherboards and/or bios releases.
                        This is all so true!

I wonder why they bother with all these revisions, and the multiple links and overhead for the revisions of a particular board model. But as you said, the BIOS, driver, etc, files are probably all the same. I can imagine the owners trying to figure out what revision they have, and all the added support grief they must have answering questions about it. Sure, it's probably displayed in the BIOS, and the board is labeled, but that is not obvious to some people.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Fun enough, apparently GB did release a new BIOS for GA-X79-UD3 F14 which is not even a Beta one just a couple days ago (2013/07/23).
                            I wonder if they actually noticed this forum or some of support requests.

I wonder if there is any chance that they will also release a new BIOS for GA-X79-UD5 since while the most recent F13p solves a few issues, especially with Windows 8, it's still a beta one and as I was able to find out with my X58 MB, meaning of word "reliable" applied to Beta versions of BIOS is a bit weird when used by Gigabyte.
                            Would also like to see fresh microcode update.
                            Last edited by Nelrum; 07-25-2013, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X