More problems with GA Z77X-UD5H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More problems with GA Z77X-UD5H

System is now a dual boot and it worked ok ( used F12 key to select Ubuntu boot ) . It boots into Windows just as quick and is stable but I cannot get into the BIOS. Delete key just cause the UEFI screen start to come up but it locks with just a mouse cursor . Same things happen if I hit the F12 key ... it locks

Debug LED codes show this message "D5" which is "no space for legacy Option Rom initialization"

I have overclocked the CPU using easy tunes and its stable when gaming or anything else related to windows 7 ... just cant get into the BIOS or bring up boot options ( F12 )

Re: More problems with GA Z77X-UD5H

Can you get to BiOS if you unplug everything exept keyboard? Connected usb hubs are known to cause havok. If removing extra usb periphals won't help you need to reset(clear) CMOS to get back to factory settings.

Comment

have it back to stock and in to it last night but today similar problem

and yes, USB seems to be the culprit yet again as I had the steering wheel plugged in but slightly different problem ...this time it brought the f12 screen up with all the options but its locked and same error message " d5"

yes, I can fix and work around this but they are annoying the hell out of me, what is it with Gigabyte and USB ?

dont they test their mobos with USb's ????

and does anuone know ehat the D5 message means "no space for legacy Option Rom initialization"

Comment

Your BIOS has surely been corrupted while tryings OC, so you have to swith on the B Bios, and flash B Bios to main Bios with Alt + F10 or this method.
        You don't give any info about your BIOS version, last betas was F15r mod4 and F16c mod2.
        It is really useful to complete and keep your PC Specs or Signature up to date in Settings /My Profile (motherboard, CPU, BIOS version modified or not ...) - Thank you all .
        Main rig : Z77X-UD5H BIOS F16 mod11 - Core i7 3770K @4.5GHz 1.30V - Noctua NH-D14 - GSkill TridentX 2x8GB @1200MHz CAS10 - Club3D HD5750 noiseless @800/1300 - Silverstone FT02S - Seasonic X-series 650W
        2x Intel 510 128GB RAID0 - 2x Samsung F3 500GB RAID0 + Samsung F3 1TB - Dell U2713H - Logitech Illuminated & G500 - Focal XS Book - Windows 8 Pro 64bits UEFI
        2nd rig : Z77X-UD3H BIOS F20e mod - Core i5 3470 @4.0GHz - Noctua NH-D14 -
        Crucial BT 2x4GB @933MHz CAS9 - Club3D HD7750 noiseless @stock - Lian-Li PC-A05FN - Seasonic M12II 520W
        Crucial M4 128GB - 2x WD10EALX RAID1 - Dell 2408WFP - Logitech Illuminated & G5
        - Bose Companion 20 - Windows 8 Pro 64bits Legacy
        HTPC : EG45M-UD2H BIOS F5a mod - Core2Quad Q8200 @2.8GHz undervolted to 1.10V - Noctua NH-C4 passive - OCZ 4x1GB @500MHz CAS5 - AMD HD6450 passive - Antek NSK2480 - Antec Earthwatts 380W
        Intel SSD 330 60GB - 2x WD WD30EZRX 3TB RAID0 - Logitech K820 - Windows 8 Pro 64bits + XBMC12
        Gigabyte Modified BIOS & About ME firmware

Comment

Not sure if I want to muck around with BIOS anymore, originally had problems like reboot cycle that I fixed through the BIOS and dont want to put back a fresh BIOS that may still have those settings. Not on the PC in question atm so not sure what BIOS I have ( but its not a beta ) ....... I guess if it boots into windows mode and it gives no problems I should leave well alone.
          Anyway just googling for D5 error and found one from these forums in May last year and he found the solution was http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-freezing.html
          "It appears the problem was an old USB joystick. I unplugged it and the problem seems to have gone away."
          and another was Gigabyte G1. Sniper 5/5M/3/M3 Owners Thread/Club
          I am having a slight problem with my new G1 Sniper 3 board.... I can't go into the bios without it failing on me. Boot up is fine but going into the bios causes a freeze (error code d5). d5 according to the manual is: No Space for Legacy Option ROM initialization.

Anyone have a clue? Where can I find the latest BIOS for the board... maybe updating it will fix me... of course I can't use Q-Flash since it won't load.

Edit: Go figure, I had to remove my Joystick from the USB port and my problems went away... so weird.

and from wikipedia found this
          An Option ROM typically consists of firmware that is called by the system BIOS. For example, an adapter card that controls a boot device might contain firmware that is used to connect the device to the system once the Option ROM is loaded.
          You know what would be great , if some brilliant person from this group would post a list of what these debug codes actually do or mean . shouldnt take no more then a year or so :-)
          Asus Strix X99 Intel 6800K Corsair Dominator 4x8gm 2666 DDR4b Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Corsair HX1000iPSU Corsair 780T Corsair H115i CPU Cooler Samsung 950 M.2

Comment

Pages 117 - 120 in the mobo user manual list the debug codes.
            RTFM

Some codes are informational, i.e. a process has started and some are error codes.
            An individual error code can have more that one cause.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

RTFT :-)

I have read the manual and the question is what does it mean ie. what does " No space for legacy Option ROM initialization mean" ?

"Legacy ROM" refers to the format of the OPROM on the storage controller. There are two firmware standards for PCs, the legacy BIOS standard and the new EFI/UEFI standard. These are standards which specify behaviour, not implementations which must be handled by the manufacturer. Since firmware is minimalistic by design, the motherboard firmware only contains code to initialize the devices on the motherboard. Both standards specify a method of loading a BIOS/EFI compatible OPROM (Option ROM) from an external device such as a VGA adapter, dedicated RAID controller, or add-in storage controller.

Since the specification for BIOS and EFI are different it would be possible to mismatch a BIOS OPROM with an EFI firmware. EFI contains the ability to load and execute BIOS compatible devices, but BIOS does not contain the ability to load EFI devices. Thus, many device manufacturers ship devices with two OPROMs, one which is BIOS compatible and called the "Legacy ROM" and one that is EFI compatible. If the OPROM format is set to "Legacy ROM" it will always use the legacy OM on the device, if it is set to "EFI Compatible" it will use the newer EFI ROM if one is present and the Legacy ROM if one is not.

EFI ROMs are necessary for some of the new firmware level security features as well as for proper EFI boot sequences. For example, installing Windows from an optical disk which is attached to a non-EFI compatible storage controller can cause problems if it is installed to a storage controller which has an EFI compatible ROM.
              Last edited by will_s; 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM.
              Asus Strix X99 Intel 6800K Corsair Dominator 4x8gm 2666 DDR4b Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Corsair HX1000iPSU Corsair 780T Corsair H115i CPU Cooler Samsung 950 M.2

Comment

Legacy BIOS Option ROM Allocation Considerations
                In Legacy BIOS boot mode, PC architecture constraints are placed on Legacy Option ROM allocation. These constraints are not placed on UEFI Option ROMs, which are commonly referred to as UEFI drivers.

The system BIOS allocates 128 Kbytes of address space for Option ROMs. This address space is shared between on-board devices and PCIe plug-in cards. This fixed address space limitation is imposed by the PC architecture and not by the BIOS itself. You can to exhaust the available address space when installing PCIe plug-in cards. When the address space is exhausted, the BIOS displays an Option ROM Space Exhausted message, which means that one or more devices cannot load Option ROMs.

For example, if you install a SCSI PCIe card, you might encounter the following message in Oracle ILOM event log:

Option ROM Space Exhausted - Device XXX Disabled

By default, all on-board Options ROMs are enabled in the BIOS. However, you can disable most of these Option ROMs, unless they are required to support booting from the associated device or to provide some other boot-time function. For example, it is not necessary to load the Option ROM for the on-board network ports unless you mean to boot from one or more network ports (even then, you can disable the Options ROMs for the remaining ports).

To minimize server boot time and reduce the likelihood of exhausting the available Option ROM address space, disable the Option ROMs for all devices that you do not intend to boot from. Enable Option ROMs only for those devices from which you intend to boot.

If you encounter the Option ROM space exhausted condition even after disabling all devices you do not intend to boot from, then disable additional Option ROMs. Under some circumstances it might be necessary to disable Option ROMs for all devices except for the primary boot device.

Related Information

Setting Up the Server With BIOS Setup Utility

Configuring Option ROM Settings

Modify Device Configuration
                after a lot of googling I found the above and its interesting that it says that these constraints are not part of uefi

Comment

Working...
                X