Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z77-DS3H Can't access BIOS, no OS, but Spalsh screen is there

[EDIT: SOLVED! Please see next page for details.]

<figure class="usrProfile"><figcaption class="line infosHold"> </figcaption> </figure>
    I am copying my post from the Tom's Hardware forums, in hopes of getting more answers. Original thread here.

Last night, I put together my new system, and everything went well. I didn't try to access the BIOS, but when I put in a flash drive with the Unibeast Installer, it went to the Language Selection page without any problems. At that point, I needed to leave to work, so I decided to power down the computer, in case anything happened while I was gone.

When I got home, I restarted the computer, and I couldn't get the installer to get to the Language screen again. I tried re-laoding the installer onto the flash drive, but it wouldn't work. So I tried resetting the BIOS (probably not the smartest thing I did yesterday).

Now, I can't access the flash drive, and I can't access the BIOS to change the settings. When I boot the computer, I get the splash screen for 1/4 - 1/2 seconds, but I can't get anything beyond that except a single "-" that flashes once, then goes away.

If I hit the reset button instead of powering off and on, I only get the "-". I get the same result if I mash the "Delete" key from power up. I have tried this on a USB and a PS/2 keyboard. I have tried unplugging the USB mouse, and disconnecting my SSD from SATA.

I have tried pressing F9, F12, END, DELETE, ALT+F2, and F1. I can't get it to work.

It is possible that there is a POST screen that would give me more information, but since I'm using a CRT, it takes a bit to warm up enough to show anything.

The splash screen seems to be at 1024x768, but my monitor looks like it's only getting 800x600 or so of it.

If I hold down CTRL or ALT during power-up, it will freeze at the Splash Screen until I release the button, or press another button. This works with either PS/2 or USB keyboards. I just tried resetting the BIOS again using the technique listed here http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/solved-bios-... . The results were exactly the same as before.

System:

Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
    Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor

RAM
    Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules)

Case
    Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower ATX Gaming Case

Hard Drive:
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

SSD
    SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5"

Wifi
    TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express

PSU
    Corsair HX Series HX750 750 Watt ATX 12V Modular Power Supply

Monitor
    Old Dell VGA CRT 1024x768 (exact model unknown)
    Last edited by Tirnion; 03-17-2013, 01:09 AM. Reason: Problem Solved.

Re: GA-Z77-DS3H Can't access BIOS, no OS, but Spalsh screen is there

Just leave cpu & ram , unplug drives etc. and make sure your keyboard is at one of the USB2 ports and keep hitting the [DEL] button after you power on, also you might press the clear cmos button or remove battery for few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by hms View Post
      Just leave cpu & ram , unplug drives etc. and make sure your keyboard is at one of the USB2 ports and keep hitting the [DEL] button after you power on, also you might press the clear cmos button or remove battery for few minutes.

I'm down to a VGA monitor, a PS/2 keyboard, the motherboard, the processor, the CPU fan, 1 stick of RAM, and 1 system fan. I'm not sure I can unplug anything else. I'm still getting the same symptoms. I've been resetting the CMOS with no luck, either by pulling the battery or by connecting the "reset CMOS" pins.

Comment

Pull the power plug, then pull off cmos battery. Then put jumper to cmos clear pins, or short them with screwdriver or some other conductor. remove jumper/short , insert battery , replug the powercord , press start and immediatly keep janking the del button (dont just keep it pressed ).

Comment

Originally posted by hms View Post
          Pull the power plug, then pull off cmos battery. Then put jumper to cmos clear pins, or short them with screwdriver or some other conductor. remove jumper/short , insert battery , replug the powercord , press start and immediatly keep janking the del button (dont just keep it pressed ).
          Originally posted by Tirnion View Post
          <figure class="usrProfile"><figcaption class="line infosHold"> </figcaption> </figure> When I boot the computer, I get the splash screen for 1/4 - 1/2 seconds, but I can't get anything beyond that except a single "-" that flashes once, then goes away.

If I hit the reset button instead of powering off and on, I only get the "-". I get the same result if I mash the "Delete" key from power up.

If I hold down CTRL or ALT during power-up, it will freeze at the Splash Screen until I release the button, or press another button. This works with either PS/2 or USB keyboards. I just tried resetting the BIOS again using the technique listed here http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/solved-bios-... . The results were exactly the same as before.
          I have reset the CMOS by removing the battery; removing the battery and touching the pins; keeping the battery in and touching the pins; removing the battery 20 minutes, touching the pins, and pressing the power button repeatedly; removing the battery overnight, and touching the pins; and probably a few other methods I've forgotten.

Comment

Ok, then power off and remove all ram, then power back on, maybe it resets the mem settings and returns to default settings. Then power down and insert ram back and try booting and getting back to BiOS. If you can't get it back to safe settings, maybe it's time to replace the board rma or seller. Also you could try with another ram stick / keyboard if available.

Comment

I just tried your suggestion. I ended up with exactly the same results as before.

Comment

Have you tried usb keyboard or usb adapter with current ps/2 one? Maybe your ps2 port is gone fubarred. Mostly seems like something is corrupted in BiOS , id get it replaced.

Comment

I've tried it with 2 different USB keyboards. No difference between the two or between them and the PS/2.

Comment

If it doesn't respond to keyboard and can't reset BiOs, only option is to make a bootable media ( cd or usb) that does bios flashing , and try auto flash to latest bios, shouldn't be that much of hassle if it was working properly, just replace the board.

Comment

Check your mobo with another memory modules.
                      Sorry for my English, its not my native language.

Comment

I'm trying to make a bootable USB drive, but it looks like I will have to change BIOS settings to let it boot. :/

I don't have any more desktop memory, at least no DDR3. I have a couple sticks of 512MB DDR2, and some stuff from 1993, but that's not going to help. :)

Comment

Problem solved. My monitor was not displaying the BIOS screen, even though it was there. Swapping the monitor fixed the problem. I still don't understand why, but unless I find an afternoon to test and troubleshoot that, I'm considering this issue closed.

--Tirnion

Comment

I had exact the same problem but switching the monitor didn 't work for me. Have you found an afternoon to find out the real cause , cause i am still stuck . Booting from any disk shows a blank screen. Windows however starts up without problems....

Comment

Working...
                            X