Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-990FXA-UD3 powers off then on on cold boot, powers off then on some resets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-990FXA-UD3 powers off then on on cold boot, powers off then on some resets.

I recently put together a system with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and AMD FX-6300. When the power button is pressed from a cold boot, the system acts as if it will power up for a second, powers down then powers up again and runs fine, with no abnormal beeps or errors. Similarly, sometimes when I restart the PC from Windows, the PC will often power off then on again. Again, it boots up normally afterwards.

The chip is OC'd to 4.7GHZ and the OC was stable in Prime95 for about 16 hours. There is no evidence of any system instability. The power issue doesn't happen when the is no OC. Actually, that is not quite true, if I "load optimized defaults" the problem goes away, but if I manually set everything to stock in the BIOS, the problem persists. I even tried underclocking my RAM, which are Patriot Viper 3 1866 to around 1300 at loose timings of 10-11-10-27 (its rated for 9-10-9-27) and this didn't help. I also increase the memory voltage from 1.5V to 1.6V. Similarly manually setting the CPU to stock did not help.

Any idea if this is anything to worry about and why this behaviour keeps happening? Anyway to fix it?

I have the latest FB Bios and version 3.0 of the board.
    Last edited by robertsmith; 02-13-2013, 06:14 AM.

Re: GA-990FXA-UD3 powers off then on on cold boot, powers off then on some resets.

I went through all my BIOS features one at a time to try and find the cause. It seems that changing the CPU multiplier to anything but AUTO causes the power down issue. My stock multiplier is 17.5 and even if I manually set it to 17.5 this issue occurs. If I put it back to AUTO then it powers up fine. I don't suppose there is any possible workaround for this.

Comment

Re: GA-990FXA-UD3 powers off then on on cold boot, powers off then on some resets.

I think its normal,it boots up checks settings then reboots and applies them,or its to do with the dual bios

you might have to wait for updated bios to fix it,but its pretty normal esp from cold
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok thanks mate.

Comment

Originally posted by robertsmith View Post
          I went through all my BIOS features one at a time to try and find the cause. It seems that changing the CPU multiplier to anything but AUTO causes the power down issue. My stock multiplier is 17.5 and even if I manually set it to 17.5 this issue occurs. If I put it back to AUTO then it powers up fine. I don't suppose there is any possible workaround for this.
          I have the same issue except my clock multiplier is at auto. I am using the core unlocker. I have the latest bios.Same mobo... sempron single core unlocked to a dual core.

Comment

I figured out somewhat of a solution. So the "Core Performance Boost" setting in the BIOS seems to be the issue. I disabled this because I was overclocking. When its disabled, however, is when the problem occurs. Any manual settings on the multiplier then causes the power issue. I set Core Performance Boost back to AUTO and the boot problem went away. My OC on my FX-6300 is x22.5, so I now set multiplier on the Core Performance Boost to the same. Everything seems to works fine now.

I don't quite understand why this setting should cause this problem though. Can you see if yours is enabled and if the problem goes away?

Comment

Originally posted by robertsmith View Post
              I figured out somewhat of a solution. So the "Core Performance Boost" setting in the BIOS seems to be the issue. I disabled this because I was overclocking. When its disabled, however, is when the problem occurs. Any manual settings on the multiplier then causes the power issue. I set Core Performance Boost back to AUTO and the boot problem went away. My OC on my FX-6300 is x22.5, so I now set multiplier on the Core Performance Boost to the same. Everything seems to works fine now.

I don't quite understand why this setting should cause this problem though. Can you see if yours is enabled and if the problem goes away?
              I do not have this feature as I am using an AM3 cpu not an AM3+ cpu.
              Mine is a Sempron 140.

I do not have access to the computer anymore as I gave it away.

What i noticed was when i set everything to optimized defaults the problem did not exist.
              But when i set it to enable disabled cores then the problem existed.

But it was an issue of yes I do need DUAL CORE!!! not just a single core.
              So the people who i gave the computer to get a dual core not a single core. And they are living with the issue.

Comment

Oh well then. If it helps anyone else, Gigabyte responded with:

"That “on off loop” you had mentioned is normal. System is unable to boot up normally, watch dog will be activated when AM3r2 CPU set disable and CPU ratio is set manually." I'm assuming "CPU set disable" means disabling "Core Performance Boost."

Comment

Hi, I have the same problem with a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (Rev3.0 bios FC) and FX-8350. The problem occurs when the cpu multiplier is set manually and the "Core Performance Boost" is disabled.
                  If the multiplier is set manually and the "Core Performance Boost" is enabled, the system boots normally.
                  If the multiplier is set to "auto" and the "Core Performance Boost" is disabled, the system boots normally.
                  I understand that it is a normal thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X