The song remains the same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The song remains the same

Celron300 oc 500.that was personal involment progress,much better than buying pentium 90'and running them at 100 :)

For bespoke systems:

rather than rant on
    My 3 systems mentioned below:

There isnt a whole lot to choose between them when you factor in overclocking and thats over a timespan of 7 years.

Dont get me wrong.
    pc's prior to this did have things that cant be compensated for now.
    isa ,ega ,cga,agp,pci,eide, and so on.
    In 7 years tho the only real breakthru ive noticed is ssd for practical purposes.
    sata3,meh,usb 3 meh,pcie 3 :)

Having bought a new 520w psu for my middle system and tuned it like it was the max cpu and mbrd combo available,there isnt a whole lot of diff compared to a very mild tune on my p67.

The IB stuff,even tho there is a performance difference at the same clock speeds,cant apparently take the same overclocks as sb processors.
    Something to do with thermal paste instead of solder on the cpu caps apparently..dunno.
    Even x58 systems they were going back to dual channel as not being a lot different to triple channel.
    quad channel..what will the usage be.

Point is there is no real advancement that I can detect in 6 or 7 years ,if you have the ability to overclock.
    Its like the sellers have built in the overclock factor as a markrting tool,there is no longer an "undiscovered country"

My 3 systems..running all of them on win 7 with a single 460gtx gx card ,I think I could could tune them like 75%/90%/100% with the best components I have in each .
    (Nothing in any of them has failed , even with clocking and they arent really all that different once you get past the marketing biumpf.
    Course sellers dont want to know about older tech still being relevant.
    p4 or e pentiums I dont mention at all,even tho they were in between the d and core 2 processors.

Its more the interfaces.eisa and alland gx..(my original 386 sx system wouldnt stand up too well for example :) )..
    Maybe 2011 architecture will render older stuff obsolete quickly,doesnt seem likely unless software takes off.
    nb amd/ami I havent really considered as I never had much joy with those.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Re: The song remains the same

Ah , 386SX. Not the first computer I used, but the first one I bought. I started out on IBM 8086-88 dual floppy machines w/no HDD and a Stride and I don't miss them a bit. DOS was fun to program for, just to try and push what you could accomplish with limited RAM.
    Having said all that I love new tech. Just can't afford as much as I'd like. I'm at the point finally where my oldest rig is P67 w/i3 and it still runs fine for what it's used for.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Working...
    X