Z77X-UD3H Freezing at and in bios.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77X-UD3H Freezing at and in bios.

Hi, someone recommended this forum as the most helpful and smartest regarding Gigabyte issues and that I should see if anyone could help me out =)

The problem: My new build freezes at the bios screen and in the bios, it also stops responding at the options screen after resetting the bios. Rarely (1 in 50 ties) it will make it past the bios and start to boot windows where it will freeze as well.

The system ran fine the first few boots, updating windows, installing drivers etc, I updated the bios to F11 from F8 and set boot drive, fan speeds, but it didn't seem to save the boot drive info when I restarted. I restarted and set the drive again and restarted but I froze on the POST screen. I reset the bios using the button on the mobo and it restarted but it seemed to get stuck in a cycle of powering on and off while the LEDS indication Main and Backup bios alternately flashed. After about 5 minutes of that I decided it must be stuck and powered off the system, turned it back on and it froze at the POST screen again. It keeps freezing no matter what I seem to do, once I made it past the bios but it froze at the start of OS boot.

The system gives the single beep that it has started and the debug LEDs read up and usually freeze around A2 - A7 (drive related), sometimes AE (boot to os), and sometimes AB (wait for user input). I can't Q-Flash to a different bios because it freezes too quickly, even though sometimes I can navigate the bios for 20 seconds it's not long enough to flash the bios.

i7 3770k
    Antec 620w psu
    G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL10Q DDR3 8GB sticks

So far I have tried:
    Resetting the bios (jumper and button).
    Switching to the backup bios using the switch (made no difference).
    Removing the bios battery for a few hours.
    Different sticks of ram in different slots (I only have one brand/model but I have 4 sticks).
    Totally removing the mobo from the case and setting it up ala test board.
    A different PSU.
    Two GPUs and Onboard gfx.
    Forcing bios to reload via holding power button+pressing rear power.

I don't have another CPU or another brand/model of ram to test with unfortunately.
    Last edited by TedC; 08-18-2012, 11:18 PM.
    i7 3770K on Z77X UD3H powered by Antec HCG 620W

Re: Z77X-UD3H Freezing at and in bios.

you said you tried with just one ram stick installed? left out mb battery for 30mins and tried?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have been having the same symptoms!

I have a VTX3D HD6950 Videocard with 3 x Dell P2210's connected in Eyefinity. 2 connected via DVI and 1 via Displayport

When I have all 3 monitors connected BEFOREstartup, the system will go into a boot loop, switching between Main and Backup BIOS, but failing to POST, sometimes showing a partial BIOS Entry Screen.

If I disconnect the monitor that is on the Displayport connector of my Videocard, (It's not enough to leave it connected and just have the monitor turned off), the system will boot to Windows fine.

Once booted to Windows, I can reconnect the Displayport connector for the 3rd monitor and use Windows/Applications/Games with eyefinity, no problem.

However if I leave the Displayport monitor connected to my Videocard, and shutdown the PC, the Motherboard will FAIL to even POWER On.

I then have to disconnect the Power Supply to the Motherboard, (to reset?) and disconnect the Displayport Cable from the Videocard to the 3rd monitor, and then the system will boot to Windows.

I have F11 BIOS. The problem was also there with F9 which was on the Motherboard from new.

Why would having a monitor connected to the displayport on my discrete video card, cause my motherboard to FAIL to POST on the Main and Backup BIOS?

Please help! At least I know I'm not the only one with this mysterious problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        you said you tried with just one ram stick installed? left out mb battery for 30mins and tried?
        Yes.

Originally posted by c4rLo5 View Post
        I have been having the same symptoms!

I have a VTX3D HD6950 Videocard with 3 x Dell P2210's connected in Eyefinity. 2 connected via DVI and 1 via Displayport

When I have all 3 monitors connected BEFOREstartup, the system will go into a boot loop, switching between Main and Backup BIOS, but failing to POST, sometimes showing a partial BIOS Entry Screen.

If I disconnect the monitor that is on the Displayport connector of my Videocard, (It's not enough to leave it connected and just have the monitor turned off), the system will boot to Windows fine.

Once booted to Windows, I can reconnect the Displayport connector for the 3rd monitor and use Windows/Applications/Games with eyefinity, no problem.

However if I leave the Displayport monitor connected to my Videocard, and shutdown the PC, the Motherboard will FAIL to even POWER On.

I then have to disconnect the Power Supply to the Motherboard, (to reset?) and disconnect the Displayport Cable from the Videocard to the 3rd monitor, and then the system will boot to Windows.

I have F11 BIOS. The problem was also there with F9 which was on the Motherboard from new.

Why would having a monitor connected to the displayport on my discrete video card, cause my motherboard to FAIL to POST on the Main and Backup BIOS?

Please help! At least I know I'm not the only one with this mysterious problem.

Strong hijack lol, but it's cool, free bump. That is a weird issue you would have to test with a different GPU, PSU, cables, etc.
        i7 3770K on Z77X UD3H powered by Antec HCG 620W

Comment

Probably current bios doesn't support 3 monitor resolution? That's why its fine once past bios screens
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X