Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte motherboard chipset driver installation (INF) What are you using thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte motherboard chipset driver installation (INF) What are you using thread

Hi Guys I am starting a thread about the Intel chipset drivers. I hope the gigabyte members will share what version they are running and share the technique they used to install the driver (before installation of OS, after installation of OS or updated later to a new version) Also they could state what code was used and if any other hardware was used ie USB CD or floppy.

I have had a time reading about this process and see the need to create a sharing resource for the Gigabyte readers. I did a search but did not see too much information available on this site, but I may have missed something.

I am going to share my dilema regarding this process first. Five months ago I installed my OS (win XP SP3) with what I thought was an up to date Intel chipset device software. Later, I was checking driver versions with various programs and found that I was not running an up to date driver.

UPDATE: The chipset entry is no longer listed at the intel website, and the user must choose "Software Products" in the #1 selection box The #2 Selection box should have "Chipset Software" entry chosen The #3 selection box should have "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" selection chosen. The User then selects the find button to see the next page where the user selects the operating system in use. Then the next selection would be "Drivers" and then you will see the results displayed. If you click on the intel Inf update Utility you will see the available downloads. Now back to the story LOL

I went to the Intel support website for downloads located here-->> Intel Download Center I clicked on the "Chipset" entry in the select a product family box, then select "Chipset Software" then "Intel Chipset Identification Utility" I then selected my operating system from the list (Win XP) I chose the Utilities Tools and Examples entry to get to the Software that will identify my chipset. I ran the program to determine the Intel chipset family that is running on my system. This software (3.24 version), stated I am running a P43/P45 chipset family. I clicked on the link for the P43/P45 family and I got a Page not found webpage.

So I returned to the Download center to see if I could find it manually. Intel Download Center
    I selected "Chipsets" in the first box then "chipset software" in the next, then Intel "chipset software installation Utility" in next box. I selected my operating system next then "Utilities Tools and Examples" in the last box. I selected the Utilities Tools and Examples entry which got me to a results page with an Update Utility primarily for the Intel 5, 4, 3, and 900 series chipsets. I click on the link and it has the 9.1.1.1025 version listed only.

I decided to try the support page that is found here --> Support for Chipsets I then selected the Intel 4 Series Chipset link under desktop chipsets. I clicked on the automatically detect and update drivers and software link next. Click on the Check your system for the latest updates link then let it run. Click on the Expand all button for the results and find the Intel CSI Utility to see that I am running the Intel@ 6,5,4,3,900 series chipsets and the installed version is the 9.1.2.1007 version. It stated that this version is valid. At this time I thought well what about the updated version? I clicked on the link for the chipset which is highlighted in blue to get to this page-->> Chipset Support — Hardware support I then click on the Intel CSI Utility link and I get to a page right here that says it has a 9.2.0.1030 version available for me and my Intel 6,5,4,3,900 series chipset format. Wait a minute that is not the same as the other file I was offered?

This gets a little confusing as I go to the gigabyte support site and find a different version listed there (9.1.2.1007). I go to the tweaktown forum and find yet another three versions listed there (9.3.0.1020,21 and 9.2.3.1025) Is there some plausible explanation for all the different versions?

I did attempt to use the have disk method to update my chipset, but I was not sure that I got all parts updated that needed to be updated. So I then refered to the readme that Intel gave with the software (its a separate download most times :) ) It states that we need to put the extracted files on a disk attached to the system and use the code something like this d:\infinst_autol -A (to extract the files only) then use d:\infinst_autol -overall to update all of the hardware Note this may not be the correct command for extrction and updates but I am sure I will find the exact command or someone will correct me :) Time to take a break lol

Note some parts are not totally accurate as I am trying to reconstruct the maze that I went through that day. I hope some can realize that Intel needs to be a little clearer as to what is the latest software available for our chipsets.
    UPDATE TO THREAD ON AUGUST 18 AT 1200 PM PST
    Safe Intel Chipset Drivers will be the ones at Gigabyte's support webpage (located here for US peeps GIGABYTE - Motherboard, Graphics Card, Notebook, Slate, Server, PC Peripherals and more ) for your particular motherboard.

Updated Chipset Drivers will be located at Intel's website located here Ultrabook, SmartPhone, Laptop, Desktop, Server, & Embedded? Intel

Updated Chipset drivers that are even more up to date are located here http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html

Did anyone get a good laugh out of this post? Please reply if you did and note what you found so funny :)

Thanks for sharing MadMax2911
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM. Reason: adding info & spelling
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Re: Gigabyte motherboard chipset driver installation (INF) What are you using thread

here are the very latest inf chipset drivers

have you tried those? they will only update the out of date drivers if needed
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Gigabyte motherboard chipset driver installation (INF) What are you using thread

Hi Wazza, I am working on a new install and I will give it try. As far as I know chipsets work best on clean installs otherwise I would need to run the -overall flag or switch (this updates all hardware if needed). Still reading the readmes they are very informative and list the chipsets that are being updated with the new release. Will be changing the post so its not so negative and more people pleasing.

Also wish there was some informative post on the ACHI installs and the resulting incompatibility with SATA DVD drives :( I just wasted two hours researching and gathering floppys and drives to install to read about the incompatibility problem
      But I will try it on my EP45-DS3R rig however, using a DVD drive that will work on my secondary port (non intel)

I will keep you updated.
      Max
      Last edited by MadMax2911; 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM. Reason: add info-correct mistake
      BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

I just installed Windows 7 on my monster Gaming PC and am attempting to share my results.

After installation of the OS I checked the Tweakguide for advice on the installation procedure (page 134). Service Pack 1 was already installed on my version of Windows 7. I updated DirectX 11 (default installation is 11) and then procceded to windows update (For Security patches) as advised by the Tweakguide, which I downloaded from TweakGuides.com
        While downloading updates I did install some low priority updates by mistake, but that seems to not be a problem as yet. One thing does merit attention, is the way drivers are automatically updated by windows update. This is not good as we usually have more up to date drivers ready to install.
        Finally we get to the installation of the Chipset drivers(9.3.0.1026) as advised by intel.com and tweaktown IMO. I transferred the driver files to CD and then used the instruction in the readme provided with the download(the zip version I believe, otherwize its a seperate download). Here is part of the readme that i followed.....

* 9F. INSTALLING THE Windows 7* INF FILES AFTER
        * OS INSTALLATION
        Some Intel(R) chipset platforms already are supported by
        Windows 7* so it may not be necessary to use the INF
        files provided by this software to update Windows 7*.

The following steps describe the installation process of
        the Windows 7* INF files. You may need to repeat these
        steps to update all Intel(R) chipset devices not supported
        by Windows 7*.

1. Copy the contents of the
        <INF Extract Directory>\XXXX\Win7
        directory to the root directory A removable media,
        such as a USB flash drive (UFD) or floppy disk (A:\).

NOTE:
        XXXX is the directory name for the chipset
        of interest. Refer to Section 8 for more details.

2. Close all programs currently running on the system.
        3. Click on Start.
        4. Select Settings.
        5. Select the Control Panel.
        6. Double-click on the System icon.
        7. Click on the Hardware tab.

8. Click on the Device Manager button.
        9. Select "Devices by connection" under the View menu.
        10. Click on MPS Uniprocessor PC -OR- MPS
        Multiprocessor PC.

NOTE:
        Only one of the above items will be
        displayed for a given system.

11. Click on PCI bus.
        12. Right-click on the line containing the description
        PCI standard host CPU bridge
        -or-
        PCI standard ISA bridge
        -or-
        PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
        -or-
        PCI System Management Bus
        -or-
        Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
        -or-
        Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
        (This line will be selected.)
        13. Select Properties from the pull-down menu.
        14. Click on the Driver tab.
        15. Click on the Update Driver button.
        16. Windows 7* will launch the Upgrade Device .
        Driver Wizard. Select Browse my computer for the driver software.
        17. Enter "A:\" in the Combo Box.
        18. Ensure that the Include Subfolders checkbox is checked.
        19. Select Next.
        20. The window Will Display the Device that was installed.
        21. Select Close.
        22. Reboot the system if prompted to do so.

Now when I ran this update it told me that the drivers were OK and did not need updating.
        I did try the setup.exe file that updates all drivers one time only. The next time setup.exe is tried with the same system it will see the installation files already present and most likely will not run(win xp days lol, I think its the same with win 7). To be clear once the setup.exe file is run the next way to update is with the method above or by using the command D:/infinst_autol/setup.exe -overall with D being the USB,CD or floppy and infinst_autol being the folder containing setup. Also it is best to run this update after a fresh install of windows and before any other drivers are installed (according to some on the internet). Here is the flag description in the readme..
        -OVERALL
        Updates ALL INF drivers on all available devices
        even if third party drivers are currently installed.
        This flag works in Interactive Mode only.

I double checked the drivers by updating each one. I did find one entry(device SMBus controller) that was not updated by anything i did previously. Maybe, others can share their experience on updating as well. I hope that just updating the entries in the PCI section is adequate for this method of updating
        Just a side note on the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, which I am installing. I did a little research and found that I can install it on this board and with windows 7 as well. There are some requirements however like .NET 3.0 3.5 or 4.0 be installed prior to installation of the IRST Driver. I did follow another post in order to install the driver and it helped ease the worry LOL. It involved editing three registry values which I will elaborate on later. But my system boots quicker now thanks to the update.

Goodnight Everyone.......
        Last edited by MadMax2911; 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM. Reason: add info correct mistakes

Comment

Can you guys reply to the post with any success stories I really wouls like to see if I am helping at all...

Comment

Working...
          X