Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ***Official***Z77X-D3H UD3H UD5H Discussion\Owners Club***

Hi guys,

I just finished my first build in like 15 or 20 years. I got a GA-Z77X-UD5H rev 1.1 with F14 and I'm finding a couple of little quirks with my USB ports.

Sorry if this is the wrong place or it's been covered, but I've been searching and cannot find anything in this thread or site about this, although I've seen other posts about earlier Gigabyte boards and bioses having issues with USB ports.

Is anyone else experiencing USB finicky-ness?

And how about the Boot Order for USB sticks? I'm thinking I must be missing a setting somewhere, but all my USB settings, including the legacy USB 2 settings are enabled.

This is my first experience with a graphical bios and it's impressive, indeed. But I'm surprised that even old, old bioses that I've seen easily support the boot from USB device setting, whereas this one (F14) doesn't seem to list this basic option. I can see it when I boot from USB 'manually' using the Boot Menu with stick inserted, but otherwise it's doesn't seem to be an option.

Thanks, Bill~

Comment

You should be able to set the boot order in the BIOS with the USB sticks same as for the HDD/SSD's.
      Since I have all the USB 2.0 ports tied up I use the front USB 3.0 for USB sticks and they always show up in the boot order. Been a long time since I used a 2.0 port on boot though.....
      Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
      Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
      PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
      Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
      Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
      HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
      SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

What would be the optimal setup for the dual LAN on the UD5H? Are there any real benefits to using both adapters?
        I know that Intel LAN supports teaming, but not sure exactly how to optimally configure the Intel to work with the Atheros.

I do not have a super fast connection, I'm on your basic 3 megabit DSL. So if there was even a small boost in throughput it would be great. Possible?
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

I guess my first response didn't arrive for some reason...

Thanks for the reply boondocks.

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
          You should be able to set the boot order in the BIOS with the USB sticks same as for the HDD/SSD's. ...
          I tend to agree, however I don't get a choice for USB devices in my boot order. I can only see that option under the quick Boot Menu with F12.

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
          ... Since I have all the USB 2.0 ports tied up I use the front USB 3.0 for USB sticks and they always show up in the boot order. Been a long time since I used a 2.0 port on boot though.....
          I believe I only have USB 3.0 ports active on this case, although I have not paid very close attention to whether the issue has to do with USB 2 vs. 3, I have a hard time believing that this might be the issue.

If I do boot with a stick (via F12), USB does show up as an option in the Boot Order, but it shows the Volume label of that stick, so I suspected it would not stay set. And sure enough, when I boot normally, it reverts back to not looking for an USB device, and is absent from the Boot Order the next time I go in there.

Not a huge deal to me, just unexpected behavior and thought I'd check the forums to see if this is normal or not, or the setting is buried somewhere I'm not seeing it.

Comment

From #1114

anyone got luck upgrading the F15r mod4 bios for UD5H? I tried and failed miserably, file will not open.

Comment

GA-Z77X-UD5H has divided boot order settings,

1 setting you select what HDD is the one thats used in boot selections
              2 setting for selecting optical to used @ boot menu
              3 setting to select usb/flash drive to boot

4 (boot selection)this has the top priority selections (only first of each above) from the above , pick the order to boot

So this islittlebit more complicated that most are used to, but you should be able to boot from (make default) usb , if you can see it in the quick menu.

Comment

Thanks hms, I remember reading about this in the manual. However I am still not seeing the USB option unless the usb drive is inserted during the boot up process. Once it's removed, and booted once, it's no longer available to boot from in the Boot Order or HDD.

I have some screen shots showing that the USB shows up under the following conditions:

1) When USB inserted and calling up the Boot Menu
                2) If USB inserted and calling up Boot Menu but you choose to go into Setup Bios rather than booting. Then when you to into HD BBS Priorities, you have the option of the recognized USB drive. It doesn't seem to be a generic USB boot Order choice however, since it lists the brand of the USB drive detected, which makes me think it's not really going to set the boot order to USB first.

Even if I go ahead and set the USB as the first Boot Priority, as soon as I pull the USB stick and boot normally, the computer is back to not listing it in the boot order, and not showing the USB in the HD BBS Priority list at all.

Here is the regular Boot Order screen which lists my 1st HDD choice.
                1_BootOption1.jpg

This shows the 3 HDD's available on my system.
                2_BootOpt1.JPG

This is the Hard Drive BBS Priorities selection.
                3_HD_BBS.JPG

And the same 3 HDD choices are listed under this menu item.
                4_HD_BBS_only3.JPG

Here is the regular Boot Menu F12 showing the 3 HDD's and the DVD drive.
                5_F12noUSB.JPG

Here is the same Boot Menu when the USB drive is inserted.
                6_F12withUSB.JPG

And finally, if I enter Setup after using the F12 Boot Menu, and go into the HD BBS Priorities menu item, I can select the USB as first Option.
                7_BootOrderWithUSB.JPG

But it does not stay listed there.

Maybe it does have something to do with the USB 2 vs. 3 or some other Legacy setting.

Comment

Yes you have to have it plugged, that's prolly only option, I think I had nforce2 mobo that had the "usb" option so it could stick @ top choice even after replugs, like if stick in boot linux and without to win from hdd and you didn't have to mess with settings.

Comment

I have a problem with my UD5H board. It has been upgraded to the latest BIOS version. I have a dual boot Win 7 64 bit and Win 8 64 bit. I have a problem with the USB 3.0 ports and both OS do the same thing.

I have a Sabrent USB 3.0 external hard drive interface, that works OK on a different PC. On the UD5H, if I plug into one of my front panel ports, It comes up as 3.0 but Windows will display the contents of the drive and then flip over and give me a message about the drive needing formatting, then back to the contents, etc. If I plug into the other front panel port I get a message about the device could perform better if it was plugged into a high speed USB port (suggesting its only working at 2.0 speed). I've tried two different front panel assemblies - the built in front panel USB 3.0 ports on my Coolermaster HAF case and the Gigabyte USB 3.0 interface unit that comes with the motherboard and both do the same thing.

I can RMA the board (a major hassle) but only if I have to or want to. Not having 3.0 isn't a major problem right now, and I could live without it.

The BIOS is at default settings. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS that would cause this problem. I've updated the Intel chipset and 3.0 drivers but that didn't help either. Back to a hardware problem, as I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by fireberd View Post
                      I have a problem with my UD5H board. It has been upgraded to the latest BIOS version. I have a dual boot Win 7 64 bit and Win 8 64 bit. I have a problem with the USB 3.0 ports and both OS do the same thing.

I have a Sabrent USB 3.0 external hard drive interface, that works OK on a different PC. On the UD5H, if I plug into one of my front panel ports, It comes up as 3.0 but Windows will display the contents of the drive and then flip over and give me a message about the drive needing formatting, then back to the contents, etc. If I plug into the other front panel port I get a message about the device could perform better if it was plugged into a high speed USB port (suggesting its only working at 2.0 speed). I've tried two different front panel assemblies - the built in front panel USB 3.0 ports on my Coolermaster HAF case and the Gigabyte USB 3.0 interface unit that comes with the motherboard and both do the same thing.

I can RMA the board (a major hassle) but only if I have to or want to. Not having 3.0 isn't a major problem right now, and I could live without it.

The BIOS is at default settings. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS that would cause this problem. I've updated the Intel chipset and 3.0 drivers but that didn't help either. Back to a hardware problem, as I see it.
                      Which port on the board is your front panel USB 3.0 cable plugged into? Generally the the (Intel) one nearest the 24 pin works good. F_USB30_1

Comment

The connector near the 24 pin power connector is the one I'm using. That's the only one I have (that I know of).

Comment

Originally posted by fireberd View Post
                          The connector near the 24 pin power connector is the one I'm using. That's the only one I have (that I know of).
                          The UD5H has 3x USB 3.0/2.0 headers. The other two are at the end of the board. Look in the manual on page 7.

Comment

I missed those. I'll give them a try and see what happens. Tnx

Comment

USB port 3 worked. Port 2 only one port works. Port 1 (nearest the 24 pin), port 1 is flakey and port 2 comes up as non USB 3.0.

Thanks for pointing me to the other two that I had forgot about.

Comment

One out of three. Well that's something I guess. Glad you got it working.

Comment

Working...
                                X