Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I run 2 hard drives one a standard hard drive and a ssd both with windows 7 ultimate GA-X58A-UD7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I run 2 hard drives one a standard hard drive and a ssd both with windows 7 ultimate GA-X58A-UD7

I have the GA-X58A-UD7 rev. 2.0 and I have been running a standard wd640gb hard drive for a while and recently picked up a Corsair Force GT 240gb ssd. I installed the ssd and put windows 7 ultimate on it just like on the wd640gb and have put all the updated drivers in the ssd. This is my work computer and I would like to be able to switch back and forth between the two hard drives if need. I use the computer for drafting and I still have some programs on the wd640gb hard drive I can not transfer to the new drive due to having some older drafting programs (third party add on to older version of autocad) on it that are no longer supported. So I need to know how I can boot to each drive when I want to and the best way to set up the bios so I can take full advantage of the ssd sata III 6gb (ahci) and still be able to boot it up and run the wd640gb in ide.

I tried to set things what I thought was right in the bios (ahci on the sata 6 and 7 ports which the ssd is pluged into and left the rest to ide) pluged both drives in and nothing poped up to which drive to boot from and got a starting windows screen then a blue screen really quick then it shut down. I then unpluged the ssd changed the bios back to ide on all the ports since I have work to do and figured I would mess with it later after I ask for advice.

Re: How do I run 2 hard drives one a standard hard drive and a ssd both with windows 7 ultimate GA-X58A-UD7

you will get a blue screen for the drive that you originally isntalled windows on in ide mode if you swicthed to ahci,you need to google enable ahci win7,and do a simple reg tweak then you can run that drive in ahci mode same as your ssd,then at gigabyte splash screen press f12 and choose which hdd/ssd and which operating system to boot up into
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: How do I run 2 hard drives one a standard hard drive and a ssd both with windows 7 ultimate GA-X58A-UD7

Thanks for the response I will try it in a but and will post back if I have any problems.

Comment

Just wanted to reply and say it worked and pushing f12 to get to the boot screen is working good also.

Comment

I would strongly suggest you follow wazza300's advice on switching you hard drive to AHCI, not just for better compatibility with your SSD, but AHCI can speed up your hard drive by a noticeable amount.

Her's the Microsoft way to do it:
          Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Just click the "Fix It" button for a one-click solution. or go to the "Let me fix it myself" section and follow the steps there. Make sure you're still in IDE mode.

Also, switch your SSD to the SATA_0 port. SSDs like port zero best, plus it's on the I ntel controller (Which get 25% better performance then when it was on my Marvell controller) Move your hard drive to ports 1-3 and your optical drive on port 4-5 (Ports 4 & 5 are designed specifically by Intel for optical/external drives(eSATA))

Disable the marvel controller as it sahouldn't be used. It's OK to leave it on, it just uses up extra resources.

Once you convert the hard drive to AHCI and move the SSD to the Intel controller you'll be run the most optimally you can get.

BTW, your SSD will only run at SATA II (3Gb/s)speeds. Your board does support the SATA II (6Gbps) controller.

You can add a SATA III controller later if you want full speed.

all you'll need is set the drive you boot the most as primary and continue the F12 methon to switch boot drives as I do.

Good luck
          -=Mark=-
          ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

Working...
          X