Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build "cycling" problem

Hello everyone,
    I've just built a new computer (spec in signature) and i've noticed that if i reset the computer and when turning it on from a cold start it cycles a few times (Power comes on, fans speed up for about 1 second then the computer kind of restarts immediately and does the same again a few times over) before it posts and then boots up. I've no idea what is causing this as everything on the computer is brand new. This is an intermitant problem. It will also freeze during the post screen and while loading windows occasionaly as well, i don't know if this is linked to the same problem or not. Can any one suggest a solution or even a cause for this?
    Cheers,
    Ryan S
    Processor - Ivy Bridge i7 3770K OC @ 4.7GHz
    MOBO - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    BIOS - F7
    Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500Gb
    SSD - Crucial M4 128Gb (Boot Drive)
    GPU - 2 x Sapphire Radion HD 6950 in Crossfirex config
    RAM - Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb @ 1866MHz
    PSU - XFX 850w core bronze cert
    Case - Bitfenix Raider
    Mouse - Logitech G9x

Re: New build "cycling" problem

Hey Ryan,

Gigabyte boards have had some problems with DDR3-1600. It seemed to be isolated to x58 boards, but I would try updating your BIOS firmware if you haven't already.

Try running your system on just one ram chip. We might find that one of the chips is bad.

There are some setting in the BIOS that could be causing this. Have you overclocked your system or changed the memory timings on your RAM?

The freezing during POST tells me something is wrong with your BIOS.

Lastly, are you able to read anything off of the debug LED located in the upper right corner of your motherboard?

Edit: If you upgrade the BIOS or have made changes to it, I suggest removing the CMOS battery and using the jumper or button the reset to factory settings, rather than the option in the BIOS.
    Last edited by CheckPleaseTY; 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Since posting this I have read the Ivybridge overclocking guide on here and overclocked the computer to 4.5GHz and manually set the ram to 1600mhz as it was set to 1333MHZ for some reason and it seems to be running a lot smoother. I've not changed any ram timings or flashed the BIOS but if the problem continues ill check the ram and update the BIOS. Thank you for your quick response mate.
      BIOS - F7
      Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
      Case - Bitfenix Raider
      Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

What is your current BIOS number? F7 is latest, you can flash to that on one BIOS and leave the other as is if you feel you need to switch back via the manual switch on mobo.
        You have your BIOS version listed as v1 in your specs, Did you mean that as your motherboard revision number? You pretty much have to be on BIOS version F4 or later. Just a heads up.
        Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
        Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
        Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
        HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
        SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

what is your BIOS version? how about if running in stock BIOS settings?

Comment

Originally posted by P23UNK View Post
            Since posting this I have read the Ivybridge overclocking guide on here and overclocked the computer to 4.5GHz and manually set the ram to 1600mhz as it was set to 1333MHZ for some reason and it seems to be running a lot smoother. I've not changed any ram timings or flashed the BIOS but if the problem continues ill check the ram and update the BIOS. Thank you for your quick response mate.
            No problem my friend! If your RAM was not identified correctly that could have been the issue. Let me know if the issue returns!

Comment

I was using stock bios settings when the problem w:as present. I'll check my bios today, I probably have put the mobo revision in my signature by accident. I think the computer was crying out to be overclocked, that's all. It's happy as Larry now. LOL.
              BIOS - F7
              Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
              Case - Bitfenix Raider
              Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

I've just checked my BIOS and it is version F4 so i might look into flashing it and see if that will fix it. I noticed the computer was "cycling" again this morning so it's not fixed after all. Is it relatively easy to flash with this Motherboard? I haven't done a BIOS flash before and i don't want to brick my new beast!
                BIOS - F7
                Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                Case - Bitfenix Raider
                Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

Ok, i've just successfully flashed my BIOS to v.F7 using Gigabyte's @BIOS feature, The Gigabyte servers only have v.F5 so i downloaded F7 from their website and used that instead. Hell, i'm getting not bad at this computer geeking malarky! And for my next trick i will overclock my vengeance ram to 1800MHz. lol.
                  BIOS - F7
                  Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                  Case - Bitfenix Raider
                  Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

RAM modules checked with memtest86+. I let it run for one full pass and no errors. It must have been a compatibillity issue with the older BIOS then?
                    BIOS - F7
                    Heatsink - Noctia NH-D14
                    Case - Bitfenix Raider
                    Mouse - Logitech G9x

Comment

Originally posted by P23UNK View Post
                      RAM modules checked with memtest86+. I let it run for one full pass and no errors. It must have been a compatibillity issue with the older BIOS then?
                      F4 was the shipping BIOS, and like many early BIOS not very "mature". BIOS development is ongoing, if you look at the posts at top of forum you will see yet another beta BIOS released. But if F7 works for you no need to flash again.
                      BTW it's generally standard to use the built in Qflash program to flash BIOS, @BIOS used to be sort of flakey although it appears to be better than it used to be.
                      Glad it's going good for you.
                      Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
                      Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
                      PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                      Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
                      Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
                      HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
                      SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

I have the same problem, it started about a week back. I am on BIOS F9

I will try the new F11b to see if that helps, its only when its a cold start.
                        Intel i7 2700K (@4.6Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB
                        Gigabyte GTX680 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

Comment

I did notice some people having problems with F11b so I updated to F10. My KB still doesn't work G510 have to use and old KB with the front USB ports. I will post in the next day or so with and update.
                          Intel i7 2700K (@4.6Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB

Comment

Just and update that after changing my ram setting to 13 I've had no cycle problem for the last 3-4 days.

Comment

@RicoFrost,
                              Have you done any stress testing using the latest versions of Prime95, LinX, and/or IBT (IntelBurnTest)? If yes, which tests and for how long?

With new hardware, I run several full passes with Memtest v4.x and 10 passes of test #5 before booting into windows.
                              Memtest is not a full blown stress test, but it will generate errors if there is a hardware problem or if your bios settings aren't reasonably close to being stable.

You risk corrupting your boot drive in windows and possibly other partitions if your system isn't stable.
                              If you have a saved disk image of your drive(s), it only takes several minutes to restore your drive if the system is corrupted and windows can't fix the problem by doing a windows repair. Macrium Reflect freeware Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download is often suggested for backing up your boot drive and other disk partitions.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                              X