Need Help, brandnew mobo, constant beeping on shutdown or reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help, brandnew mobo, constant beeping on shutdown or reset

That's just it, crucial website comes up with this RAM when you put in the motherboard make and model, they say it works and been tested for x79, and 16gb will run ay the stock xmp profile and voltage on a review I was reading, which it does run fine, but the damn latency as changed and its slower, just don't get it. I shouldn't have to tweak to get the stock xmp and latency, its wrong.
    A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING WORKS PROPERLY

Comment

Crucial doesn't sell 16GB kits at 1866Mhz, so tweaking will/may be required for XMP to even attempt to work as the XMP is for a 8GB kit. *Edit* Sorry, I see they do have one single 16GB 1866 kit now now @ 2x8GB, is this the 16GB set you have? If not, then previous comment applies.

Boot order IS in the BIOS, at the very top and middle of the integrated peripherals page. I know you are frustrated, and I'm sorry to say this and I don't mean it negatively at all, but I think you need to calm down for a minute and not let the board upset you so much. Then while you are calming down and easing up on the frustration, read through the manual (Bi-Directional ProcHOT is there too in the advanced CPU page where your per core settings are located)

SMART issue is due to Intel, not Gigabyte, all X79 users are affected by this. If you need this information for something important on a regular basis, you will have to use MSAHCI driver only (IE Clean install, do not install Intel drivers) Until Intel corrects this, and they are supposed to be working on it. Option ROM works fine, you need to be in RAID mode to enter it, and you must have two disks connected to the Intel controller

Ram bandwidth is MUCH better on X79, probably latency too but we wont know until there's programs that can properly measure it.

Here's a few Proper bandwidth comparisons that are going into my review, not many other benchmarks properly show threaded bandwidth aside from these and Geekbench. AIDA64 does, to an extent for X58 anyway, but cannot for X79 at all and I've personally checked with the author on that and he says updated threaded version will be coming soon.

X58 Triple = 31.85GB/s

X79 Quad = 46.5Gb/s

X79 Triple, just so you can see direct vs X58 = 39GB/s

You are right though on latency, but that is likely due to there not being any programs that can properly read either boards threaded memory benchmarks, especially not the quad 256-bit X79 controller.

Plus X79 can run ram WAY faster than X58 anyway, don't mind my speeds in the above images, they are like that for a reason and if you want to see faster speeds by me you'll need to wait until I publish my review, but I'm sure by now you've seen others at 2400-2600Mhz

The wifi issues, I'm sure it's probably driver related, you just have to calm down some and figure it out. BIOS temp bug, that may be as it's happened plenty in the past, I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually. AIDA64 should give you proper temps, and HWinfo, HWMonitor, Easytune, ect. I did see what you mean about Xeon in the drivers while I reinstalled INF drivers tonight, that's just Intel's way of naming drivers I guess, same as versions which install that never match the actual version you are installing. Any/all X79 users with any CPU is going to get those same drivers installed, it's not just your 3820 being a fake or less-than Xeon, and actually Xeon's are better anyway - wish my 3820 was a Xeon!
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-28-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I tried to do a clean install with raid, 2disks, Intel option rom loaded once when I first built it, got to the part where it detects your hdds and cd drives in windows 7 installation, I got a message saying one of your cd/dvd drives doesn't have a driver and to install one, I put gigabyte cd in even though it shouldnt need it and it shouldn't be asking for cd/dvd drivers, and went to browse, nothing was there except for boot X,no hdds,no cd/dvd drives, no matter what i tried,this keeos happening,so iset it ahci and it worked, it was 2 indentical wd 1tb drives, prochot isn't listed where it should be, its not anywhere in the bios at all, I've checked over and over, option rom boot order isn't listed either, I can live without them but why should i, prochot is in the manual so it should be there but it isnt, option Rom boot order comes in handy sometimes but that aint there either,my RAM is stable I ran diagnostic and Intel burn test, iread a review where the guy bought 2 kits of 1866mhz crucial tactical tracer,4gb x2 and tested them on x79 board,totally stable at xmp timings and voltage,I have no overclocks, i running stock all rhe way, but because the board can't read the memory information,ie,spd, the damn thing beeps on. restarting only,i can shutdown,I can boot fine,just can't restart with the OS or rhe BIOS without the beeps .

Comment

I don't know why Gigabyte hid Prochot. But believe me, it's not in my Z68 or my Z77 BIOS but it's in both manuals!
          Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
          Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
          PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
          Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
          Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
          HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
          SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

My cpu is sandybridge-ep, with c2 stepping , I thought thought it supposed to be m1 and sandybridge-e, i know there the same but c2 is what the 3930k reports, am I missing something here, how many versions of a 3820 are there? Also my turbo won't stay enabled, it has a top speed of 3.6, cpu turbo won't kick in, but windows system in control panel says core i7 3820 @ 3.6ghz. 5.9ghz, I cant even get above 3.6ghz at stock, but when turbo is workin it only goes to 3.8ghz anyway, so is this another bug?and the dodgy turbo another bug also?. My board as filled my room with like a cigarette smell and i can taste it also.Can you tell me if the OC button on the back as a preset OC or do I switch it on, set the OC and then switch between them, cause it doesn't say in the manual, just pressing it , and turning it on as no effect, the button lights up but don't do anything, the manual is useless.
            Last edited by boe323; 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Hey boe323, sorry I'm very busy right now or I'd stop in and further help you with your wifi driver issues, but I can't get into that right now so hopefully someone else will help you sort that out soon.

Can you please post an image of CPU-z, using the latest version posted here, thanks!

As for Prochot, you are right, it used to be in there, sorry about that. They've removed it, so it's likely set to auto/enabled anyway, if you need to disable it you can request a custom BIOS if it's that important to you and they'll likely make it for you if you explain the need for it.

Here's some images showing you were boot order is and how to use it, it's all there just looks and works different than the old Award BIOS style

As for the CD driver issue, not sure, did you maybe have the drive on a Marvell port? You should have your main OS drive on first Intel port SATA3_0, and any other hard drives following that, and then your CD/DVD drive on one of the the last Intel ports SATA2_4/5, preferably the very last one SATA2_5. The only time I've seen windows 7 install ask for drivers is if you are using a non Intel CD port, or if you possibly are installing via USB and have the USB Stick on a USB3 port (Which is not going to work).

Do NOT use the CD that came with your board for any drivers, download all latest versions directly from Gigabyte for your board, the ones on CD will be out-dated
              GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011 - G1.Assassin 2 (rev. 1.0)

Are you on the latest BIOS, and did you start by loading optimized defaults then rebooting to the BIOS to make your desired changes? If not, start over with that, latest BIOS is linked below, or latest beta (Suggested) linked here in the forum
              GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011 - G1.Assassin 2 (rev. 1.0)

Turbo is fine as well as far as I know, do you have turbo enabled in the BIOS and each core set to auto or manual? What happens to the cores under full load, and what happens at idle? 3.6Ghz is the default stock value, and then max under default no user set turbo is 3.8Ghz

If you are wanting more than that you have to manually adjust things to what you want. There is a per core menu that will allow you to set each core to what you want, or set them all to the same value, ect. As for the ciggarette smell, not sure on that, maybe you have a short somewhere? I'd get the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray and run it on a wooden table or cardboard box for a day or two to see if the smell remains. If so, you may have something wrong on the board and should RMA. If the smell goes away then verify that you only have the exact amount of motherboard stand-offs in your case that you have holes in the board, if there is extra remove them. Then carefully put it all back together making sure to watch for pinched wires, or anything you see that might cause a short or loose connection.

For the OC button, you need to load optimized defaults in the BIOS and save apply and reboot back to the BIOS. Then set your SATA settings again and boot to windows, then shut down. Once powered down, press the OC button in and boot, it should then overclock the board, as for what that OC is I'm not sure you'll need to read Sin0822's guided review, or PM him for further info on it.

Comment

Thanks for info, I got a workaround for the beep issue,I just shutdown instead of restarting, cant stop it in BIOS though cause you can't shut down, I've got RAM from old setup that stops the beeps at restart so it is the ram regarding beeps, but im not dripping to 6gb and o want quad channel so I'm still using new ram, as for beta BIOS, I flashed that to start with but when I checked the version number in windows it was all foreign letters like loads of y with dots above it, if that's right then ill flash it again, didn't seem right to me, switched on this morning and OC button isnt glowing so that's disabled itself also, as well as turbo being enabled and each core set at auto 37 37 38 38 , it just isnt working, 3.6ghz on load, eist works, I also don't know what the cmos battery voltage is as there isn't any monitor in bios or windows ,it won't show it, isn't working ,or doesn't have a monitor?,let me know what the version says with @BIOS for f11b,don't worry I'm not using @BIOS, just want to see what you get for f11b if you have this board of course, I'm thinking its a used recalled mobo as on the box its got a yellow sticker saying it comes with f7 or later BIOS and my holes on the board around the cpu didn't have that kind of paper that you punch out.I also can't monitor hdd temps, there always 25degrees, which I know is wrong, and no 3.3v monitor, all the basic stuff that us needed for monitoring isn't in the board or isn't working for me, you know, this is the first build i ever needed help with, and the first build that I've had issues, its got me stumped, I know its new tech, but really, it isn't that much different so my knowledge should be able to make it work properly, stuff I can't get my head around, like the beeps, no spd, no turbo, windows reporting 5.9ghz, WiFi cards won't detect the drivers, I've got loud popping from the sound chip at startup and shutdown, sound freezes if I use generic windows driver, which is the one I want to use, to many startup services for creative suite, generic drivers are the right balance off bass, treble, and loudness, creative is just to much, can't get treble or bass right,sounds amazing with the generic, but just keeps freezing with them, no cmos battery monitor which is a needed in my opinion,as far as I know ,the battery might be nacked,its just an all-round terrible board, I should of read some bad reviews and watched some bad videos, then made my mind up, but I didn't,I just seen the good reviews, its no good for overclocking, I mean, only 8 phases, cpu is capable of more than 32gb, its capable of more SATA ports, I don't get what they were thinking when designing this board, I should of kept my x58 and purchased a sound card lol, cheaper, and no problems,.Also just found that trusted platform tom isn't in BIOS f10, switched to backup f8 and tpm is there, I noticed straight away cause I never seen it before in f10, its messed up , crazy ****e. Turbo also works in f8, wow, I got so many issues lol, way to soon to release this board, that what happens when trying to get ahead of competition, oh why didn't I get the bigbang,.
                Last edited by boe323; 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I think i know why latency measured in nano seconds is really slow, there's no asynchronous support.My cpu as decided it is now a sandybridge-e not an ep, and found the turbo issue, when I go into power options where pwm phase is etc, even just clicking on them without changing anything and rebooting seems to make the cpu run at stock 3.6ghz, and makes windows report an overclock to 5.9ghz, which you can't reach because of the restrictions they put in BIOS , until there lifted you'll be lucky to even get 5ghz,anyway, if anyone is using a f11b assassin 2 and your turbo is reporting stock 3.6ghz, you need to load optimized defaults and don't go in power management where pwm phases are.I flashed a modded f11b for new Intel Rom, my OS us much more responsive, RAM latency as dropped from 56ns, to 54ns, which is a slight but good improvement, beating 3960x in RAM test on aida 64, but under a 2600k which is at stock lol, I think if I had asynchronous support I would see better latencys, just have to wait I suppose.
                  Last edited by boe323; 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I was going to buy the new gtx 680 until I looked on intels website at the cpu specs, sandy bridge-e doesn't have pci-e 3.0 , haha, I dont think its a typo either, its on 3820 and 3930 , I didn't realize,shows what lack of research does to you, pci gen 3 ready,meaning ivy bridge next year,by then the boards will be discontinued or a rev 2 will be out, con artist wan--ers.

Comment

Sandy Bridge-E is i7-3820, same thing. And it does have PCIE 3.0, works just fine for ATI as seen below.

Click for full screen image

PCIE 3.0 may or may not show on Intel's processor specifciation pages, not sure if they've added it in now or not, but it initially was not there at launch due to no PCIE 3.0 cards being available for testing so they were not 100% sure it worked.

Here's more info from Anand about it
                      AnandTech - Sandy Bridge E & X79 PCIe 3.0: It Works

There has been some issues with 680 cards though, you need to use special drivers, or registry hacks, this is due to Nvidia's drivers - nothing to do with Intel or Gigabyte boards. You will have to google around about PCIE 3.0 and 680 on X79, you'll find the fix you need.

Comment

Thanks for info, I've stopped that beeping I was getting, I purchased same ram speed same make and manufacturer, minus the leds, but no difference in bandwidth or latency,still slow, Sandra lite reports 24ns but aida64 extreme engineer reports 54 with a turbo of 4.1ghz,which one is right though?, bandwidth falls under a 2600 cpu and that is only dual channel, don't make sense. I have no cmos battery monitor, does it have one? that a bios update could enable?seems very daft to leave out cmos battery and 3.3v monitoring,such basic stuff.
                        Last edited by boe323; 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X