Z77X-UD5H : System fan headers - curious behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Z77X-UD5H : System fan headers - curious behavior

What cable did you use to hook up your two PWM fans? I've seen some that will control off the board but get power directly from the PSU which would probably help with any board limitations on current draw and the like.

Originally posted by Ken429 View Post
    For what it's worth, I have two Blade Master 120 PWM fans running in a Push/Pull configuration connected to the CPU Fan Header and everything works as it should. I have the H60 pump connected to the Case Fan 4 Header. I have tried other case fan headers for the Pump and do not see a difference, the pump runs at full speed?! I also tried using the BIOS to control the Case Fan Headers and do not get much action - speed variation that is. Although, the CPU header set to PWM, Manual and a slope of 2.00 does the job nicely. In fact, I went and bought two Cougar Vortex PWM fans to see if they run quieter when the system is under 100% load.

Also, I am using the latest and greatest BIOS, Drivers, Utilities, etc. posted on the Gigabyte site.

Comment

I am using just a plan on PWM Y-Cable off the Amazon site. I had to cut the yellow wire myself on the first ones. The last two I bought on Amazon had the Yellow wire connected to only one fan connector. The supplier is getting smarter!

Comment

Well i tried again, verified the latest usb drivers off the gigabyte site, checked the Y cable connections and also found a DRAM module not quite pushed in all the way. Working great in voltage control mode now without any usb errors after several hours and some overclocking torture testing, thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
          Before I went to water cooling I was running the Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler (2 fans) off the cpu header with no problems.

I don't think the USB issues are related to this as these issues have been widespread with earlier USB drivers. Gigabyte recently updated the USB 3.0 driver on their download page to 1.0.4.225. Early on I had a few warnings from Windows about the USB but since updating drivers weeks ago no problems at all. I'm using the front panel USB 3.0 header that came with the board plugged into the 1st Intel header and it works fine in and out of the BIOS.

Hi I am also currently running a Noctua Nh d14 on a Gigabyte Z77 UD3H. How can you change the voltage rpm slope? When I switch to voltage fan control, the rpm is way to slow to sufficiently cool my i7 3770k. In idle its at around 700, but under full load it does not exceed 1000. Atm I use pwm and the cooler runs constantly at around 1300 rpm. Its not optimal, but at least its cooling the cpu nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchup View Post
            Hi I am also currently running a Noctua Nh d14 on a Gigabyte Z77 UD3H. How can you change the voltage rpm slope? When I switch to voltage fan control, the rpm is way to slow to sufficiently cool my i7 3770k. In idle its at around 700, but under full load it does not exceed 1000. Atm I use pwm and the cooler runs constantly at around 1300 rpm. Its not optimal, but at least its cooling the cpu nicely.
            I think I was running mine on PWM control, highest setting. Was a while back but I think at idle the fans were in the 900 rpm range, which is pretty quiet. Under load they seemed to ramp up pretty quick, but I always used to set all fans to "disabled" in the BIOS when doing Prime 95 runs so they would just all run wide open. The NH D14 was still quieter than the case fans I had at the time. This was on a UD5H board.
            Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
            Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
            PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
            Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
            Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
            HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
            SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Are your fans hooked into your CPU header with the 4 pin Y splitter? I believe this is the only header the properly controls in PWM on the board, the others only hit 50 and or 100% depending. VCM works for me on a 3 pin config which can be adjusted in the bios setup, i have mine set to 2 for a water cooled system to balance heat control and noise.

Comment

Which fans? I don't run the Noctua anymore and all my case/radiator fans run off Scythe Pro controller. These boards don't have enough fan control to suit me and I don't have anything plugged into any fan headers, since the controller will read the rpm from the fan.
                PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

As it stands now, I don't even have the option to use pwm for fan control. Have the 3er pin plugged in the 4er pin on the motherboard. I did not get delivered an adapter or 3:4er pin or anything. My request at Noctua directly resulted in them telling me, that pwm is not supported by this fan at all.

Comment

You have to either get the fans separately or get the 2011 kit. If you don't have a 2011 board, Noctua will send you a mounting kit for 1155 or whatever free if you fill out the form on the website, or you can get the kit off Amazon.
                    I bought the 2011 kit with the pwm fans and Noctua sent me the mount for 1155.

Comment

Sounds like you'll need to use a 3pin y-splitter(i assumed yours had this), costs about 2 bucks at your local computer store(got mine at microcenter) but you can buy online. Put both fans on the splitter connected to your cpu header and use voltage control mode, you can use a fan monitoring, cpu stress/temperature utilities, ears and vary your VCM settings to your liking. I did the same thing on a H60 when i replaced the stock fan with a more capable push pull 3pin fans...Good luck!

Originally posted by Sketchup View Post
                      As it stands now, I don't even have the option to use pwm for fan control. Have the 3er pin plugged in the 4er pin on the motherboard. I did not get delivered an adapter or 3:4er pin or anything. My request at Noctua directly resulted in them telling me, that pwm is not supported by this fan at all.

Comment

I do have my fans connected to the fan header with such a 3er y splitter. After browsing and trying around a lot in bios and various tools, I found a setup that seems to work for me. Changed in bios to voltage mode and I was able to change the rpm/temp curve in Easy Tune. The cpu fan took the changes and runs now at the levels that I wanted him to :) At first I thought these settings would only apply in pwm mode, but as it seems they also work with voltage fan control.

Thx 4 the all the help :)

Comment

I was using speedfan and comparing charts: pwm on fan1, is linked to system temp1, fan2 and fan are linked to system temp2 and fan 4 is always at full speed. So none of the 4 headers is linked to cpu temp. All are linked to system temp, which, in my system, depends mostly on roomtemp. And speed of fans are almost constant around 500rpm. Going up to 550rpm whene system temp raises by 5 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                          X