New to overclocking... assistance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to overclocking... assistance needed

Im NOT a gamer... tho I DO enjoy having all the best subcomponents for my machine.

Below is a breakdown of my setup:

My current System consists of the following:
    PC Case: Lian-LI PC-A7110 Black Full Tower Case with 7 Bay HDD Hot-Swap Tower, 1x 3.25” External Bay, 5x 5.25” External Expansion Bays, 6x USB 2.0 Ports, 2x USB 3.0 Ports
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
    • Hyper Transport Bus: 5200 MT/s
    • 6x SATA2 3.0GB/s Ports
    • 2x SATA3 6.0GB/s Ports
    • 4x USB 2.0 Ports / 2x USB 3.0 Ports / 1x eSATA Port / 1x ieee 1394 (FireWire) Port
    Expansion Slots:
    • 2x PCI-Express x16
    • 2x PCI-Express x1
    • 3x PCI

3. CPU Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 Black Edition / 6-Core 1075T
    • L2 Cache: 6x 512K
    • L3 Cache: 6MB
    • Hyper Transport Support: Yes
    • CPU Cooling: Heatsink & Fan - Zalman™ CNPS9900ALED 120mm Ball Bearing Fan

4. High End Premium Sound Card:
    • HT Omega Claro + (Gold Plated) Premium Sound Card
    • Digital 7.1 Surround / DTS / Dolby / Pro-Logic / Etc Audio Output
    • Fiber Optic Digital and Coaxial Digital Cable Outputs to TV or A/V Receiver.

5. Optical Drives:
    • LG BluRay ROM / DVD-Combo Drive
    • Pioneer DVD Multi-Drive
    • Lian-Li 3.25” Multi-SD/MMS/FD Internal Card Reader

6. DDR3 RAM (1600Mhz):
    • 4x 4GB (16GB Total) 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM + 1GB Onboard DDR3 RAM
    7. Hard Drives:
    • 2x 74.6GB Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptor HDD's configured in RAID '0' to run OS (System recognizes these as a single 20,000 150GB RPM HDD (UNBELIEVEABLY FAST compared to your average 7200RPM hard drive speeds and single SATA cable transfer rates and procesing speeds) By running the OS and ONLY the OS from this RAID 0 Drive... I increase the Hard drive reaction speed and data transfer rates by nearly 500% increase.
    • 3x 750GB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDDs (Media Storage Only)
    • 3x 1.5TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs (Media Storage Only)
    • 1x 2.5TB Western Digital 7200RPM HDD (Media Storage Only)

**Note** As you can see, I’m pretty serious when it comes to my machine… and do NOT do any gaming at ALL… I just enjoy having the best subcomponents in my computer.

You may by now have noticed that I haven't mentioned any Graphics / Videoredering software (which is required in order to get a picture up on your monitor.)
    My Gigabyte Motherboard comes out of the box with an ATI RADEON 4250 on board Graphics card.... which is absolutely great if all you're doing is watching Movies, BluRays, and SOME low to medium Graphics demanding games (I can play any of the Need for Speed games, but getting into first person shooters and the graphics cannot handle it)

Below are Photos of my system:

My ACTUAL Lian Li™ Case

Case includes a 7 Drive HotSwap RAID Toware with 2x 120mm fans on either side to keep it cool, and 3 more 120mm fans throughout the case to prevent overheating.

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Motherboard

Phenom II Black Edition: 6 Core 1075T Processor

ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm Ball Bearing CPU Fan & Heatsink

ZALMAN CPU fan to prevent CPU overheating if/when I decideto overclock

DDR3 Corsair 1600 MHz Ram (4x 4GB: 16GB Total)

HT Omega Claro + Premium Sound Card w/ 7.1 Surround Sound capability and full DTS/Dolby/ProLogic/etc Integration
    MY system the day the case came in (Before I had my Zalman CPU Fan/Heatsink) while I Ziptied and Cable-Tied all the cables and wires to the supports… out of the way.

I really enjoy my superior quality Sound, 2 optical digital outputs for premium sound quality

My Computer Monitor (55" Sony Bravia™ LCD HDTV)

Ok, here's where you guys come in....
    Im new to overclocking, and HERE is what my overclocking options menu looks like.

I was able to configure the DDR3 RAM settings to accomidate the 1600MHz DDR3 RAM I Installed... but now I would liketo know:
    a.) How high can I safely overclock my CPU without risking damage to the CPU itself? this threshold SHOULD be somewhat higher with the Zalman CPU fan installed.

b.) Secondly, How do I go about Configuring the bios to overclock the CPU? How many of the settings need to be changed?
    I've already realized that by changing the 'CPU Host Clock Control' from auto to manual and then adjusting the CPU frequency... the CPU changes from its standard 2800Mhz to 4,000Mhz by adjusting the clock control to 300 from 200.

At what point does the increased CPU Mhz become dangerous to the CPU?

I would like to find the threshold at which it becomes dangerous...and then adjust it down one setting for safety.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Mr.Walnuts; 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM.
    Chris
    US Army Aviation Retired (E-7)

Case:
    Lian-Li PC-A7110 (By far, I couldn't make a better case if I could design it myself Hot-Swap RAID Tower (7 locking Bays with 2 120mm fans on each side of the RAID Tower) 2x PSU Mounting bays, and expansion for an additional 3 HDDs if necessaryMotherboard: Gigabyte GA-880A-UD3H
    CPU: Phenom II 1075T x6 Six Core Thuban Overclocked to 3.8Ghz (Thank You Artdriver for calling and walking me thru the process)
    RAM: 1600MHz Corsair Vengence 4x 4GB (16GB Total)
    Graphics: EVGA - GeForce GT 520 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card (Not the best, but good enough for what I need... Im not a gamer)Sound Card: HT Omega Claro + (Best sounds card I've EVER SEEN)
    Optical Drives: LG DVD-Multi Drive, Pioneer BluRay ROM, Sony DVD-Combo/RAM
    OS Hard Drives: 2x WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 100GB in RAID-0 (Recognized by system as 200GB 20,000RPM Single Drive)
    Storage Drives: 8x 1.5TB 7200 RPM HDDs

Re: New to overclocking... assistance needed

Clock/frequency won't harm the CPU, high votage/temeratures may.

So basically that's it, you change the host clock.
    You may want to overclock both CPU memory north-bridge and HT, either one or all together.
    Higher clock may require higher voltages, for each component idividually.
    Note that there is a north-bridge and CPU north-bridge, the first cnnects to the CPU via the HT, and to the PCIe slots and southbridge, the second is buil-in the CPU and basically the IMC(Integrated Memory Controller)

Your CPU is unlocked and let you increase CPU Ratio without chamgimg the host clock, you can begin there, this will increase computing power but memory/ performance will stay the same.

Keep temperatures and votage within safe limits and there is very little danger to damage anything.

EDIT: don't leave voltages on auto when overclocking, withe set them to normal or desired value.
    Last edited by Chike; 04-12-2012, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post

You may want to overclock both CPU memory north-bridge and HT, either one or all together.
      Whats HT?
      Chris

Case:
      Lian-Li PC-A7110 (By far, I couldn't make a better case if I could design it myself Hot-Swap RAID Tower (7 locking Bays with 2 120mm fans on each side of the RAID Tower) 2x PSU Mounting bays, and expansion for an additional 3 HDDs if necessaryMotherboard: Gigabyte GA-880A-UD3H
      CPU: Phenom II 1075T x6 Six Core Thuban Overclocked to 3.8Ghz (Thank You Artdriver for calling and walking me thru the process)
      Graphics: EVGA - GeForce GT 520 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card (Not the best, but good enough for what I need... Im not a gamer)Sound Card: HT Omega Claro + (Best sounds card I've EVER SEEN)
      OS Hard Drives: 2x WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 100GB in RAID-0 (Recognized by system as 200GB 20,000RPM Single Drive)

Comment

Since this board was released around the time DDR3 SODIMM memory came out... the supported ram speed for this board is 1033MHz... I had to overclock the memory in BIOS just to get my corsair 1600MHz DDR3 RAMM to work; increasing it further would likely to be to my memory's detriment.

Luckily (as seen in my photos) my Zalman CPU cooling Heatsink/Fan is blowing DIRECTLY on the RAm modules... but do you think its safe to further overclock these module past 1600MHz?
        Chris

Case:

Comment

I highlighted my areas of interest in your reply in red.

How can/do I know my voltage temperatures once the system is running? Is there an application that monitors the voltage temps, so that I can verify the temps aren't spiking and/or growing to levels becoming dangerously high?

Note that there is a north-bridge and CPU north-bridge, the first cnnects to the CPU via the HT, and to the PCIe slots and southbridge, the second is buil-in the CPU and basically the IMC(Integrated Memory Controller)

Your CPU is unlocked and let you increase CPU Ratio without chamgimg the host clock, you can begin there, this will increase computing power but memory/ performance will stay the same.

Keep temperatures and votage within safe limits and there is very little danger to damage anything.

EDIT: don't leave voltages on auto when overclocking, withe set them to normal or desired value.
          Chris

Case:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Walnuts View Post
            Since this board was released around the time DDR3 SODIMM memory came out... the supported ram speed for this board is 1033MHz... I had to overclock the memory in BIOS just to get my corsair 1600MHz DDR3 RAMM to work; increasing it further would likely to be to my memory's detriment.
            That's normal even with newer boards. No modules I've seen has the JEDEC programmed with 1600MHz only XMP for compatibility reasons, so you still need to set it manually.

Originally posted by Mr.Walnuts
            Luckily (as seen in my photos) my Zalman CPU cooling Heatsink/Fan is blowing DIRECTLY on the RAm modules... but do you think its safe to further overclock these module past 1600MHz?
            I would think it should blow toword the other direction (the exhust fan) for better airflow inside the case.
            I don't think heat is an issue with your memory so just try overclocking is at default voltage or 1-2 ticks up. There modules tha OC quite well and others that don't

Comment

I highlighted my areas of interest in your reply in red.

How can/do I know my voltage temperatures once the system is running? Is there an application that monitors the voltage temps, so that I can verify the temps aren't spiking and/or growing to levels becoming dangerously high?
              I really don't know much about AMD CPUs, try searching the web for OC guide for your CPU or CPU class.

Comment

That's normal even with newer boards. No modules I've seen has the JEDEC programmed with 1600MHz only XMP for compatibility reasons, so you still need to set it manually.

I would think it should blow toword the other direction (the exhust fan) for better airflow inside the case.
                Regardless of airflow direction... it should benefit the memory modules. whether its cool air blowing AT the modules cooling them off... or or airflow blwing AWAY from the modules... drawing heat accumulated on the modules.

Still not sure how to overclock without overheating the voltage

I attached a photo of my bios to help understand the setup of my BIOS, any clue how i should do this?
                Chris

Case:

Comment

If it blow towards the ram it simply circulation hot air inside the case, the exhust fan pull it to the back and the CPU cooler blows it back. you can find a better solution to cool the memory if it does heat up.

You will need to increase voltage at some point. Search the net for safe voltage./temperature limits.
                  Set System Voltage Control to manual, and all boltages to normal, increase CPU Ratio gradually untill you fail stress tests (Prime95, IBT(Intel Burn Test)/LynX)) then start increasing CPU Voltage above normal.

Comment

One more thing, turn turbo off when overclocking.

Comment

Send a private message (PM) to artdrivers who is our Resident AMD Guru.
                      Include a link to this thread and ask him for overclocking suggestions.
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

One more thing, turn turbo off when overclocking.
                        Turn WHAT Turbo off? the Zalman fan>?
                        Chris

Case:

Comment

Turn WHAT Turbo off? the Zalman fan>?
                          Sorry, disable Core Performance Boost.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                            Send a private message (PM) to artdrivers who is our Resident AMD Guru.
                            Include a link to this thread and ask him for overclocking suggestions.

I sent a PM to the above named member... I dont know if the PM even went thru...
                            I wrote out this long PM explaining my issue and hit 'Send'... but NOW the 'Sent Messages' box is still empty.

I really jut need a list of settings/readings that I need to adjust and/or monitor once I adjust the core clock freq. to 250... changing the CPU core ration to 4000 from 2800.

I just need to know what else needs to be adjusted and monitored to keep things stable
                            Chris

Case:

Comment

Sorry, disable Core Performance Boost.
                              I know those BIOS backward and forward.... and I''ve never seen a core performance boost function...much lessa toggle to turn it on/off

could it have a different nomenclature?
                              Chris

Case:

Comment

Working...
                              X