Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X79-UD3 Various Issue Discussion

Originally posted by Peakr View Post
    Thx, liking the blue. @Stasio, I was curious as to why no Intel Lan or Fesco usb 3.0 drivers in the list? Also, any heads up on new RSTe drivers? Raid performance on x79-UD3 is atrocious. Thx.
    Thanks man, glad you like it! I could do other colors too if you wanted, just did blue on that one because that's how I like it! As for RAID @ X79-UD3, what benchmark are you using, and drives? Post up some scores somewhere, or PM me, I want to see what you mean as I haven't tried RAID on the RSTe drivers yet on this board. You can use the non-enterprise drivers if you want, if you need a link to these modified for X79 let me know!

Stasio, will he be posting a neutral normal colored one sometime, or was his plans ROG only for this?

MAIN initial post is below, this was a funky topic move, so sorry it appears I've started this thread @ anyone confused or wondering what's going on here
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-05-2012, 01:20 AM.

Re: GA-X79-UD3 Various Issue Discussion

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Thanks man, glad you like it! I could do other colors too if you wanted, just did blue on that one because that's how I like it! As for RAID @ X79-UD3, what benchmark are you using, and drives? Post up some scores somewhere, or PM me, I want to see what you mean as I haven't tried RAID on the RSTe drivers yet on this board. You can use the non-enterprise drivers if you want, if you need a link to these modified for X79 let me know!

Stasio, will he be posting a neutral normal colored one sometime, or was his plans ROG only for this?
    Mem TweakIt is awesome but every time I loaded up that red UI it was like nails across a chalkboard. Hope frank is cool with the blue. I'm using Crystal Disk Mark for bench. I have 2x80 Intel X25-M G2's in R0 and 2X2Tb WD RE4's. I'm using F10 bios with RSTe 3020 drivers and app. Write back enabled. I tried ticking the windows "turn off windows write-cache buffer" in device manager but that had a negative impact. Below are some screens of results. This board is really quirky, it feels very beta. Some of the ram timings you can't adjust, tried ram profiles, expert mode, nothing. The bios UI feels sluggish and sometimes locks up when you first enter it and I have it set to LEGACY ROM, Frustrating. Also HDDErase states the drives are locked by the bios and can't be secure erased, yes I was in IDE mode. Hopefully updates will bring this board in line with Gigabyte's usual quality.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-05-2012, 01:21 AM.
    i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Titanium HD
    EVGA GTX 970
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    Samsung 850 EVO
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Comment

Originally posted by Peakr View Post
      Mem TweakIt is awesome but every time I loaded up that red UI it was like nails across a chalkboard. Hope frank is cool with the blue. I'm using Crystal Disk Mark for bench. I have 2x80 Intel X25-M G2's in R0 and 2X2Tb WD RE4's. I'm using F10 bios with RSTe 3020 drivers and app. Write back enabled. I tried ticking the windows "turn off windows write-cache buffer" in device manager but that had a negative impact. Below are some screens of results. This board is really quirky, it feels very beta. Some of the ram timings you can't adjust, tried ram profiles, expert mode, nothing. The bios UI feels sluggish and sometimes locks up when you first enter it and I have it set to LEGACY ROM, Frustrating. Also HDDErase states the drives are locked by the bios and can't be secure erased, yes I was in IDE mode. Hopefully updates will bring this board in line with Gigabyte's usual quality.
      I agree, I've always disliked red. And ya, I hope he is OK with that too, I never thought about that! Do you think I should pull it, or ask him at least? It's freeware, and I'm not making any money off modifying it or anything like that, so hope he wouldn't get mad or anything. What do you think about that Stasio, will be care or be mad?

Do you want blue and black CDM? If so, check this skin out!
      CrystalDiskMark

As for the BIOS locking on you, when does that happen? Never happens to me, except when I enable Num-lock, then it always freezes for 20 seconds or so. Sorry, I don't use CDM that often, and have never used Intel SSD's, what are your issues with those results, or were you just showing drivers need to improve still? If you meant the drives aren't the best yet, I know, hopefully Intel will get them improved soon!

Secure erase works fine on the board for me (I think, testing a few boards this month so not 100% sure on that. I use HDDErase on C300's, what are you trying to use? When you get that message, usually you can just unplug the drive and hot plug it and then SE, or sometimes if you can enter the sleep command that does it too, depending on what software you are trying to use.

What Ram timings are you trying to adjust that aren't working, I'll check that out for ya! You do know some are tied to others right? I mean, some if you set xx you also have to set xx in relation to the other, like some of these for X58 for example

tRC ........................................ (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
      tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
      tWR ........................................ 5-12 (Odd # values likely will fail)
      tWTP ....................................... (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
      tWL ........................................ (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)

Those may or may not apply to X79, just showing you an example of what I meant about how some are tied to others. Testing HDDErase and C300 for ya right now on X79 again just to be sure, I'll let ya know what I find - you may be right!

Once you reply back I'll move all of our discussions about this into a new thread and PM you the link, alright? That way we don't have this mess in Stasio's Driver/Tools thread ya know.

*Edit*

HDDErase tested and working on X79-UD3, video coming as soon as I edit and upload! You have to hot-plug the drive is all!

Kinda dark where I show the hot-plug the drive, but all you do is unplug the power cable of the drive, plug it back in and then select hard drives again and erase away! Sorry for the video quality, it's from a 5mp Sony Cybershot
      X79-UD3-SE-(HDDErase).zip
      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-05-2012, 01:22 AM.

Comment

As for the BIOS locking on you, when does that happen? Never happens to me, except when I enable Num-lock, then it always freezes for 20 seconds or so. Sorry, I don't use CDM that often, and have never used Intel SSD's, what are your issues with those results, or were you just showing drivers need to improve still? If you meant the drives aren't the best yet, I know, hopefully Intel will get them improved soon!

Secure erase works fine on the board for me (I think, testing a few boards this month so not 100% sure on that. I use HDDErase on C300's, what are you trying to use? When you get that message, usually you can just unplug the drive and hot plug it and then SE, or sometimes if you can enter the sleep command that does it too, depending on what software you are trying to use.

What Ram timings are you trying to adjust that aren't working, I'll check that out for ya! You do know some are tied to others right? I mean, some if you set xx you also have to set xx in relation to the other, like some of these for X58 for example
        Wow that black is a nice skin for cdm. What about a matching set for Mem TweakIt, CPU-Z and HWMonitor Pro? No pressure though, lol. Well the bios freezes at two screens. Sometimes it hangs at the black American Megatrends screen and sometimes when I enter the bios it will lock just before the 3D Motherboard appears. I do have numlock on. I like your HDDErase trick, I'll give that a shot. I've labeled the above pics. You can see the performance these Intel's had on my X58 as compared to X79. Intel needs to get on the ball.

As far as ram timings, yes I know some are tied together. I have 4X2Gb of GSkill F3-12800CL6-2GBXH rated at 6-8-6-24 2N. I can't set CL-tRCD-tRP any lower than 7 and the profile for my ram has no effect when enabled, the motherboard puts it's own timings in. This happens even when only 1 stick is used.

I appreciate your effort. I've scoured the web and no one is tweaking these x79 UD3's. I've been able to get some info from people using the UD7 however. I see there is a new beta bios 10c, I'm tempted to give it a shot but stability is number 1 for me.

PS thankyou for that video.
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-05-2012, 01:19 AM.
        i7-3930K
        GA-x79-UD3
        Corsair H100
        4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
        X-Fi Titanium HD
        EVGA GTX 970
        Pioneer BDR-207DBK
        Samsung 850 EVO
        3XWD2002FYPS
        Corsair TX850
        Dell U2412M

Comment

I didn't make that CDM skin, just found it a while back. Not sure I could make them all match or not, maybe close? I'll try sometime when I have some free time, but it'll be a few weeks as I'm really busy right now with a few things.

I leave full screen logo enabled, because I hated that AMIT screen, normally I would disable the full screen logo but it looks better on these boards since the AMI screen shows instead of the actual POST info when full screen logo is disabled. So I've not ever seen any hangs at bootup, at all, or on that screen because I don't use it. Do you have the freeze if you leave full screen logo enabled, please test.

Locking before the motherboard appears means your settings are either unstable and it's freezing Or, you get that blank blue UEFI screen with no board, and then wait 20-30 seconds as it's about to reboot at default settings because the overclock or settings have failed. I believe that later instance is by design, it's trying the failed settings, then applying defaults because they are failing, and it will reboot in a short time and you'll see failed OC with defaults loaded. Those are how I've ran into that, and what happens and why. Are you saying that happens with 100% tested stable settings? If so, what are you testing stability with, and for how long?

I agree, X58 and P67/Z68 beat out X79 on SSD performance/drivers right now. Hopefully they'll sort it out soon!

I was aware there was a CAS 6 issue, but I didn't actually test it at 1600Mhz, I was testing at higher speeds. I have a few kit with the same IC's (Either PSC or BBSE, both are sold at those timings/speeds), so I'll check that out and get back to you! I reported a CAS 7 issue with TONS of kits, they quickly fixed it too, so if this is another similar issues I'll get a report sent in. CAS is the issue there, not tRCD/tRP You can set CAS 7 and run higher speed if you want, did you know that? Just a suggestion in case this is an issue and we have to wait on a fix. That kit should run 7-8-7 and 7-9-7 up to 1866+

I'm working on a review for the X79-UD3 right now! So soon there will be my review up with plenty of tweaking going on in it! I'm running 4.5Ghz right now, just because it's a good speed middle ground for my CPU and voltages, but I'm running 16GB of memory at 2333Mhz 9-12-11-31!

Glad the video helped ya! That's all you need to do, let it tell you it's locked, then unplug the power on the drive, then plug it back in and choose select hard drive again, then you'll be able to select the unlocked SSD.

Testing CAS 6 @ 1600 right now, I'll test BBSE and PSC! The issue you are seeing might be the BIOS version you are using, the CAS 7 issue I mentioned was in older BIOS F7-F9, but is fixed in F10, so you may just need to update the BIOS if you are using one before F10
          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-05-2012, 01:40 AM.

Comment

OK, testing done and no problems here with 1600Mhz @ 6-8-6-24 using 4x2GB PSC or 2x2GB BBSE

I think either your sticks might have a BIOS incompatibility, or you are using older BIOS, but I bet it's due to the older BIOS as I used to have CAS 7 issues there and I think I might have also tried CAS 6 too.

Anyway, it's fixed now, so update to at least F10 or the new beta you mentioned (I haven't had time to test it yet)

BIOS

Windows

4x2GB

2x2GB

Comment

You can use the non-enterprise drivers if you want, if you need a link to these modified for X79 let me know!
              Hi Lsdmeasap,
              I have the GA-X79-UD5 and would be interested in the modified non-enterprise drivers if you wouldn't mind.

Thank you.
              Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 v1.0 @ F13s
              Intel Xeon E5-2670
              Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled LGA 2011
              64GB (8x8GB) Quad Channel G-Skill Ripjaws Z series DDR3 2133
              EVGA GTX 950 FTW 2GB
              Thermaltake Armor+
              Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
              1 x 2TB WD 2002FAEX SATA
              4 x 2TB WD 20EFRX SATA
              7 x 3TB WD 30EFRX SATA
              Seasonic X-1050 Power Supply
              ASUS RT-AC68U router
              Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
              Windows 8.1 Pro x64
              Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

I'm sorry pbcopter, I was thinking of another driver mod, you do not need modified 10/11.x drivers to run on X79. Just uninstall the enterprise ones, and reboot so you are on MSAHCI, then install the 10/11.x version you want to use.

*Edit* I take that back, only 11.5 drivers install without being modified! Sorry about that, I'll ask Stasio to link you to the latest Non-Alpha ones that are modified as I'm not sure exactly which link I need to give you.

@ Peakr, did you update the BIOS and have any luck with CAS 6 yet?
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-05-2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

@ Peakr, did you update the BIOS and have any luck with CAS 6 yet?
                  I was already on bios 10. I haven't done any overclocking yet. Played with the ram a little, got it up to 2133. I'll have more time to play with it this weekend and report in. Have you tried bios 10c yet Lsdmeasap? Do you have an idea what was fixed? Thx.
                  i7-3930K
                  GA-x79-UD3
                  Corsair H100
                  4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
                  X-Fi Titanium HD
                  EVGA GTX 970
                  Pioneer BDR-207DBK
                  Samsung 850 EVO
                  3XWD2002FYPS
                  Corsair TX850
                  Dell U2412M

Comment