GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 Bios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 Bios?

Is there any beta bios past F6f that will address the memory compatibility and running 1866MHz ram in all 4 slots with FX CPU's?
    My system refuses to run anything over 1600MHz with my FX-8120 when all four slots are populated.

Re: GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0 Bios?

And with 2 slot popuated it does?
    What have you tried to convince it to run 1866 with 4 slots populated?

Comment

If I put DIMM's in slot 1 and 3, 2 and 4 or just single DIMM's in any slot I'm able to run the rated speed of the RAM which is 9-11-9-27 @ 1.65v. Once I manually configure speed + voltage with 2 DIMM's, shut down PC and install other 2 DIMM's sytem will not boot even though it just worked with 2 DIMM's. The memory I'm using is Patriot Xtreme Series 4 x 4Gb 1866MHz PXD38G1866ELK.

Comment

Then it may not be a BIOS issue. I don't know about the FX CPUs but phenom usually need more CPU NB VID conrol.
        Try increasing it a bit. Upper limit for pheno,/athlon CPUs was 1.35v, don't know is it for FX CPUs.

Comment

So I tried your suggestion and I also tried a different set of RAM and nothing worked. The other RAM was ADATA brand and it also won't post at 1866MHz speeds with all slots populated.

Comment

OK so after some trial and error and putting the RAM in my other PC which is a 970A-UD3 Bios version F5h with a Phenom II 960t unlocked I finally got it to work. I used Profile 1 under E.O.C.P. like I did with the 990FX. This gave me timings that were some what different then the 990FX gave me. After the 970 system booted with no issues I then installed them in my 990FXA-UD3, used the new timings from the 970 setup and it works.

Even though I got it to work I still would like a new bios version.

Thanks for the help.
            Last edited by cmac68; 03-29-2012, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cmac68 View Post
              OK so after some trial and error and putting the RAM in my other PC which is a 970A-UD3 Bios version F5h with a Phenom II 960t unlocked I finally got it to work. I used Profile 1 under E.O.C.P. like I did with the 990FX. This gave me timings that were some what different then the 990FX gave me. After the 970 system booted with no issues I then installed them in my 990FXA-UD3, used the new timings from the 970 setup and it works.

Even though I got it to work I still would like a new bios version.

Thanks for the help.
              Hi, I noticed you asked a similar question as I did about a week ago, but did not post your results? I too am running an AMD FX 8150 CPU, on a GA-990 FXA-UD3 (Rev 1.2), only with 16 GB Crcial Ballitix 1866 MHz RAM. Could I be cheeky and ask what settings you finely used, to see if I could get my system to work right.

A little over a week ago I posted the same question to GIGABYTE, about BIOS settings, only to be told by them that it was not a BIOS issue????
              They did however provide a link to an updated BIOS (Version 99FX312.FCi), which although I don't have the link anymore I can provide you with a copy of said BIOS, if you wish? If you need more info please let me know.

Thanks Pete C B
              AMD FX (Bulldozer) 8150 CPU 3.6GHz
              Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Rev 1.2) MOBO
              16GB Crucial Ballistix 1866MHz DDR3 RAM
              2x Gigabyte GTX560 GPU (SLI Setup)
              CoolerMaster Silent Pro 850 Watt PSU
              1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD
              3x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB HDD
              1x L.G. Blu-Ray Writer
              1x Samsung DVD ReWriter
              ThermalTake Level 10 GT Case

Comment

Instead of just raising the Ram to 1866 I actually had to raise the fsb to 233. The memory was then set to x8.00 @ 1864MHz with stock timings and voltage.

I should also note that I'm running a 4.68GHz overclock with 2330MHz on the NB. The HT was left as close to 2600MHz as possible.

Have you tried using E.O.C.P. Profile 1 with your ram?

Comment

Originally posted by cmac68 View Post
                  Instead of just raising the Ram to 1866 I actually had to raise the fsb to 233. The memory was then set to x8.00 @ 1864MHz with stock timings and voltage.

I should also note that I'm running a 4.68GHz overclock with 2330MHz on the NB. The HT was left as close to 2600MHz as possible.

Have you tried using E.O.C.P. Profile 1 with your ram?
                  I'll give that a try and let you know the outcome! I was communicating with a guy named Chike, to sort out my system earlier he sorted out the problem (when I was running Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz RAM), but now I've moved on to 1866 MHz Crucial Ballistix, I did not dare to ask him for more help? As I said to him at the time I was not looking to overclock but just to get the system to recognize the correct settings for the RAM, the reason for moving on is I am putting together another system, and just want to get it right, I'm no expert when it comes to tweaking the BIOS and need as much help as I can get! You see at the moment when I power on the system, it only recognizes the RAM as 1333 MHz and if I tweak the settings to what I think is right then save and exit BIOS, then reboot all I get from my system is 2 long beeps from BIOS and the following message appears:-

The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking,
                  The last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states,
                  current CPU speed: 18.0 x 200 MHz,
                  current memory speed: 1333 MHz,
                  current HT speed: 2600 MHz,
                  press DEL key to enter the BIOS setup
                  or press any rest of keys to continue.

Then everything reverts back to previous settings?
                  1x L.G. Blu-Ray Writer
                  1x Samsung DVD ReWriter

Comment

Originally posted by Fredbare View Post
                    I'll give that a try and let you know the outcome! I was communicating with a guy named Chike, to sort out my system earlier he sorted out the problem (when I was running Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz RAM), but now I've moved on to 1866 MHz Crucial Ballistix, I did not dare to ask him for more help? As I said to him at the time I was not looking to overclock but just to get the system to recognize the correct settings for the RAM, the reason for moving on is I am putting together another system, and just want to get it right, I'm no expert when it comes to tweaking the BIOS and need as much help as I can get! You see at the moment when I power on the system, it only recognizes the RAM as 1333 MHz and if I tweak the settings to what I think is right then save and exit BIOS, then reboot all I get from my system is 2 long beeps from BIOS and the following message appears:-

Well I tried the "profile 1" option (with no effect), and I tried upping the NB a couple of notches (that had no effect either), had to reset the BIOS after that one (incidently, do you know of a program that will read the BIOS from inside Windows, and allow you to print the contents?), so I'm still limited to 1333 MHz, anymore suggestions?
                    1x L.G. Blu-Ray Writer
                    1x Samsung DVD ReWriter

Comment

Originally posted by Fredbare View Post

We are here to help others to the best of our ability so don't be afraid to ask.
                      To help us assist you please put the system specs in your forum signature and also post what you have tried so far.
                      My knowlege in AMD CPUs is theoretical basically, I have not used one since the early 90s os last century :)
                      What are the memory multiplier options? Do you have 9.33 or is 8.00 multiplier is the highest?

EDIT: There is no mention in the manual for 2 long beep code, there is 1 long 1 short for memory error , and 2 short for CMOS settings error.
                      Last edited by Chike; 04-06-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                        We are here to help others to the best of our ability so don't be afraid to ask.
                        To help us assist you please put the system specs in your forum signature and also post what you have tried so far.
                        My knowlege in AMD CPUs is theoretical basically, I have not used one since the early 90s os last century :)
                        What are the memory multiplier options? Do you have 9.33 or is 8.00 multiplier is the highest?

EDIT: There is no mention in the manual for 2 long beep code, there is 1 long 1 short for memory error , and 2 short for CMOS settings error.
                        Hello again Chike, as you may have read in the post (above), I am now having problems with a different set of RAM (16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866MHz), I ran with the 1600MHz (Corsair Vengeance) that you helped me with, but it was always my intention to add faster RAM in my main system, then to install the older parts in a new (backup) system that I am putting together! You will have to forgive me as I am still new at this game, as for adding my system specs in my forum signature??? could you please explain how, to a dork like me? I do have the option in BIOS of setting 9.33 (and higher), but whatever I have tried just fails, the baseline specs for the Crucial RAM are 9-9-9-27 1.5V
                        1x L.G. Blu-Ray Writer
                        1x Samsung DVD ReWriter

Comment

What is it that you have tried?
                          Please attach CPU-Z text report for the new RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                            What is it that you have tried?
                            Please attach CPU-Z text report for the new RAM.

I have set memory clock to 9.33, which give me 1866MHz
                            DDR3 timings to MANUAL
                            1T/2T command timing to 2T
                            CAS# latency to 9
                            RAS to CAS to 9
                            ROW percentage time to 9
                            Min RAS active time to 27
                            DRAM voltage control Started at 1.5V (gradually incremented up in 0.01 steps), until I reach 1.59 (did not want to push it any further)
                            did not touch any other settings as not sure what to alter!

I have looked at my profile (trying to find out how to add a signature file, could not find any help on that)
                            My system is as follows:-
                            AMD FX 8150 3.6 GHz CPU
                            Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Rev. 1.2) MOBO
                            16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866 MHz RAM
                            CoolerMaster 850 WATT Silent Pro PSU
                            Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler
                            2x Gigabyte GTX 560 GPU's setup in an SLI configuration
                            Creative Labs Xi-Fi Platinum Pro sound card
                            1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD
                            3X Western Digital Caviar 2TB SATA HDD
                            1x Samsung SATA DVD ReWriter
                            1x LG SATA Blu-Ray Writer
                            all in a ThermalTake Level 10 GT
                            1x L.G. Blu-Ray Writer
                            1x Samsung DVD ReWriter

Comment

Please jus attach the file, not inline and leave the attachment checked or it is deleted from the server.

Comment

Working...
                              X