Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GTX 580 superoverclock edition noise problems

**SPECS**
    GPU: 2 x Gigabyte GTX 580 superoverclock edition (SLI)
    CPU: i7 2600k (overclocked to 4.5ghz)
    RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb
    PSU: Corsair 1050hx -> replaced now with Silverstone strider 1200w Gold
    HDD: Western Digital Black 2tb
    SSD: Corsair force 3 60gb
    Tower: Coolmaster Haf X
    Hi everyone!
    I am hoping to have some advice for an issue I have with the GPU: Gigabyte GTX 580 Superoverclock edition (GV-N580SO-15I).

I currently have two Gigabyte GTX 580soc installed in my computer. Since day of purchase these GPU's have had the following problem:

In any game application, the GPU's will produce a very audible, fast pace ' electronic clicking/ticking' noise. I have noted when Vysnc is enabled, this particular sound will be produced in every game such as: Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft and even Minecraft. The actual pace of the clicking/ticking noise is greatly quickened and louder depending on how demanding a game is, so in Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2, the noise is much faster and louder. If vysnc is disabled, Witcher 2 will produce a different sound from the GPU's being a high pitch screeching noise instead of clicking rapidly.

I have tested each GPU individually and both produce the same sound. One of the gpu's had a bad fan bearing and was RMA'd / replaced and the new GPU replacement of the same model also produced the exact same sounds. Furthermore, I have tested my previous GPU (gigabyte GTX 275) in this system and found that there was no audible sound outside the case being produced whether or not Vysnc was enabled/disabled. I have also swapped out the Power supply from a Corsair 1050HX to a Silverstone Strider 1200w Gold and once again, the sound was produced by the GPUs. The fans have been tested and manually turned up to full speed, no abnormal sound was produced.

In my searching of this particular problem, I have found different answers being; coil whine, bad capacitor or a loose inductor. I must stress that the aforementioned sounds being produced by all three GPU's of the same model are clearly audible outside the case, even over a Corsair H80 cooling unit.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I have noticed many different users having coil whine problems with their GPU's, but most the time it produces a high pitch squeeling noise. I have only seen this noise being produced in Witcher 2 when Vysnc is disabled and when I run the Windows Experience Index test. It is difficult to describe the sound all three of these GPU's produced, the only way to describe it is being a very rapid clicking/ticking noise, being much faster if the game is more demanding.

Can this damage the GPU in any way? What do you think it may be? I have already had one replaced due to a faulty fan and the replacement also produced the same sound. I am 100% sure that it is the GPU's producing this sound, done the above tests and listened closely to each GPU individually. Lastly, given the fact it is now 3 for 3 of this GPU model producing this sound, should I bother with another RMA? I do not believe it has affected performance, the only abnormal thing I have to report is the need to force vysnc on in all game applications to ensure a smooth game experience and stop the 'stuttering' camera effect; this also applies when SLI is disabled.

Thanks everyone, any help provided will be much appreciated!

Cheers
    Mike.

I have found this user had essentially almost the same sound as my GTX 580 produces and can be viewed here http://www.supload.com/listen?s=l9INfu
    Last edited by mmarasco; 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM.

Re: Gigabyte GTX 580 superoverclock edition noise problems

been seeing alot of this recently,with the new gtx 680's too,youve tested with both psu's in your sig? same result? nevermind spotted your post

tried disabling intel speedstep c1e ect? see if noise stops/reduces,tried with downclocked gpu's? can be vrm noise or psu emi leakage
    Last edited by wazza300; 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      been seeing alot of this recently,with the new gtx 680's too,youve tested with both psu's in your sig? same result? nevermind spotted your post

tried disabling intel speedstep c1e ect? see if noise stops/reduces,tried with downclocked gpu's? can be vrm noise or psu emi leakage

Hi wazza300, thank you for your reply!
      I have dsiabled intel speed step, c1e and any performance reducing options. I have also just tried downclocking the GPU and unfortunately the noise is still present nor has it been altered.

I forgot add in specs I have a Gigabyte g1.Sniper2 Motherboard.

Can vrm noise or psu emi leakage be dangerous to any parts / effect its lifetime? My main concern is if this noise relates to problems that can reduce the overall lifetime to the GPU's.
      I must add, the 'clicking/ticking' noise will be better described as a 'buzzing' noise also.

I have found this user had essentially almost the same sound as my GTX 580 produces and can be viewed here http://www.supload.com/listen?s=l9INfu .

Cheers!
      Mike
      Last edited by mmarasco; 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

no it wont affect any component or reduce its lifespan its just annoying,you could either switch brands of psu or gpu or both,some do it more than others
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          no it wont affect any component or reduce its lifespan its just annoying,you could either switch brands of psu or gpu or both,some do it more than others
          Thanks very much for your help! That does put my mind at ease :D

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X