Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a BIOS setting on new Sandy Bridge build

Hey there.

I'm hoping that someone can help me with this since I can't seem to find a conclusive answer.

I just finish my SB build which includes:

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 mobo
    Intel i5 2500k
    G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb (2x4gb) DD3 1600mhz (PC3-12800) 9-9-9-24, 1.5V

After updating the BIOS with the latest version for my board and loading optimized defaults, I proceeded to enable XMP to make the BIOS use the XMP profile on my RAM which allows it to run at the advertised specs.

Unexpectedly (at least for me), when I switched the XMP setting from the default "Disabled" to "Profile1", a pop-up came up asking me if I wanted to "enhance CPU performance". Since I didn't know what this was I selected the default (which was "Yes") but now I'm a bit scared of what this option meant :S

So my question is: by selecting "Yes" on that pop-up what happened?? Did the BIOS somehow overclocked my CPU? Because I don't want to overclock it (at least for now). Should I select "No" in that pop-up instead?

Can someone plz explain me what this "enhance CPU performance" pop-up options do??

Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Need help with a BIOS setting on new Sandy Bridge build

That enhances (Overclocks) your CPU L3 cache, it's not really an overclock as no voltage tweaks are needed and it does not affect stability.

But if you want to undue it you'll need to clear your CMOS, or load optimized defaults then save/appl/reboot and then get back into the BIOS before windows and set your SATA settings again and any other changes you want to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      That enhances (Overclocks) your CPU L3 cache, it's not really an overclock as no voltage tweaks are needed and it does not affect stability.

But if you want to undue it you'll need to clear your CMOS, or load optimized defaults then save/appl/reboot and then get back into the BIOS before windows and set your SATA settings again and any other changes you want to make.
      Thanks a lot for your answer! :)

One final thing: since the BIOS deliberately asks you if you want to "enhance performance", it doesn't really sound like something "unsafe" to do... so, is it really safe if I answer "yes" on the pop-up (i.e. won't it reduce the life span of my CPU or something)? what is your recommendation?

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks a bunch again for your time!

Comment

Anytime!

Yes, it is safe and will not reduce the CPU lifespan at all, only higher voltages and heat can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Anytime!

Yes, it is safe and will not reduce the CPU lifespan at all, only higher voltages and heat can do that.
          Great, i'll just keep it the way it is now then ("yes" option on the "enchance performance" pop-up).

Thanks a lot again for your help!

Comment

I'd leave it too, it's fine or they wouldn't offer it in an option like that anyway. If it could do any damage they would have the option in the BIOS with enable or disable and a warning about enabling it.

You're good to go! Post back anytime if you need more help with anything!

Comment

Working...
            X