990FX UD3 memory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX UD3 memory question

I have owned the FX UD5 for about six months before it fried the CPU socket. I RMA'd but I am unsure if it will be fixed, in the meantime I ordered a UD3 that I am mostly happy with. However I have had some memory issues that I did not encounter before. I was running a 720BE in the UD5 with a 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 kit. At first I was running it at 1333, but it accepted the 1600 speed as well. I received my FX 8120 recently and tried the mushkin ram in the UD3 with that. It defaulted to DDR3 1333 speed. I was unable to run it at 1600 speed. I also tried a Patriot kit, I was able to run at 1600 speed but it was not stable. How do you do a carriage return btw? Anyway I ordered some approved DDR3 1866 Corsair Vengeance memory. I had a very difficult time, but eventually I was able to get it to 1600 speed, It will not post at 1866 speed, I have set the memory to manual speed and timings, the eoc to 1866 and the voltage to 1.5, 1.6, 1.66V and also Auto voltage. Any help with this would be much appreciated, I have never encountered this much trouble with getting memory to run at its rated speeds, especially with manufacturer approved memory kits. It is making me regret my mobo purchase, and of course the extra money I've been spending on all this memory. I am only using 8 gigs, so I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to run the Corsair memory at its rated speed. please any advice is appreciated and any links would be great too. Thanks, buzznut

Re: 990FX UD3 memory question

I can't really help much with AMD systems yet, as I am just learning it myself. But I can tell you almost all memory kits out there are rated for timings and speed on Intel systems, unless directly AMD specified in the model name or description for the memory.

And it's very common to be unable to use memory at it's rated Intel speeds and timings on AMD, so you may need to use looser timings to get the speeds you want.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly that can better help you with AMD.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Considering its on the motherboard approved list, I can see no reason why it wouldn't be supported at those speeds.

Comment

Anytime, sorry I can't be of more direct help!

Gigabyte probably only tests memory in auto or set speeds (With timings in auto), it's up to the memory makers to specify if certain timings will or will not work per AMD/Intel.

So I'm sure those will work on this board since they are in the QVL, but you may have to use Auto timings until you can figure the timings out yourself. And they may also tweak voltages too, which are not specified in the QVL's, so just because it's compatible does not mean it's going to run xxx speed at xxx timings.

What timings are you trying when you try 1866?

Comment

Originally posted by buzznut View Post
          I am only using 8 gigs, so I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to run the Corsair memory at its rated speed.
          Heh 8GB is like nothing to you, but AMD never meant it to be more than say 4?
          When usuing large memory configurations and/or high speed memory, you will need more memory controller voltage, this goes to Intel and AMD processors.

Try to add CPU NB VID Control, don't go over 1.3v final volage for not I am not sure what the limit is for those CPUs.
          Wouldn't be much of a difference between 1333 and 1600 or even 1866 from what I have read.

Comment

For whatever reason, Bulldozer has a problem running 1866 memory at its rated speed when 16GB is employed. The best one can hope for in that instance is 1600. This is well documented, and AMD is aware of this shortcoming. This is why I chose to go with 8GB. And for bulldozer, 1866 memory does provide the best performance as illustrated by any number of hardware sites across the internet. I understand most Intel enthusiasts run at 1600 speed and don't see much benefit from higher speed but do see benefits from latency. From everything I've read about BD, to get the most of your CPU you should really be running at 1866. My testing shows a significant difference between 1333 and 1600, so I do believe that 1866 would benefit me. In terms of what I've done, I won't repeat the first post but I have run all different timings and have found manually setting the timings works to attain 1600 speed but AUTO settings do not work. I may be able to loosen timings to get 1866 speed but I obviously do not want to loosen them to the point that latency becomes affected more than the benefit of speed. Thanks again for your insight, it is more knowledge I can apply to the problem. I hope that the knowledge I can impart will be helpful to you as well. At any rate, obtaining 1866 speed is not just a useless obsession on my part but would be the ideal speed of memory for my CPU to perform with. I do think I can achieve this, but I'm running out of things to try and could still use some help from AMD people and/or Intel folks. Especially in regards to the Gigabyte 990FX UD3.

Comment

Can you post memory benchmarks, and/or thers, with DDR-1333 vs. DDR-1600?
              And the settings that have been used for them.

Comment

Thanks for the info Buzznut! I knew BD didn't live up to it's intended hype based on what I've read in the community, but I hadn't really paid attention to it much since I'm an Intel user, so I'd never noticed the memory complaints regarding what you mention.

So thanks again for stopping by to offer your knowledge on the subject! Can you give us some linked examples of where you've seen this documented, just for reference, thanks!

Comment

Ok, here's some sources: AMD Bulldozer FX 1866MHz+ ok still can't figure out how to do a return. AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - Can Bulldozer Unearth an AMD Victory? | FX Memory Frequency Scaling and Testing Configurations Bulldozer Overclocking Guide (Performance Scaling Charts, max OCs)LN2 Results coming! Those are just a few

Comment

Hey, haha! Sorry, I just realized you were the OP! When I read that info you added I didn't think it was you, so I was hoping that would help the OP! Guess I need to stop sleeping at the wheel over here

What do you mean figure out a return, or was that in reference to the thread linked before it? Sounds like you are just going to have to stick with 1600Mhz, or go down to 8GB and see if you can get 1866 going that way

Comment

I mean a carriage return. To start a new line of text, instead of running it al together. I still was unable to get my 8GB to run at 1866 speeds, however I was able to change some things using the FSB. I am now running with my memeory at 1800 speed with a 225 Mhz reference clock. Here's my new dump: CPU-Z Validator 3.1. I will continue working over the next couple olf days, but I'm content at 4.4ghz until I get some better fans for my cooler. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Do a return of what?

The fact the memory is on the QVL list does not mean you will stick it and it will work without tweaking around.
                        With timings 9-10-9-27 @ 1866 you should be able to run 8-9-8-24 @ 1660 or 7-8-7-20/21 @ 1420.

What have you tried and what made them finally run at 1600?

Comment

Ahh ok! Just press enter twice for a new line with space between, or once for no space between.

If you are typing via html or BB code, then you need to use

Code:
                          < br > or < p > - with no spaces between the letters and the < >
                          I checked your post though, and you're just typing normally, so all you need to do is press enter once or twice

Comment

Working...
                          X