Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't change the clock ratio on my Phenom II BE processor

Hi,
    I was referred to this site because I use a Gigabyte board. I have a Phenom II 555 BE in my system and I want to modify the cpu ratio in the BIOS, only when I do this my computer will not load to windows. My board is a GA M55S S3 ver 2 and it has some tweaking options including ratio for the cpu clock but if I change the value from default (or 'Auto') to anything else I have a problem. I don't really know what other info to give you but I was hoping someone could hint me in a direction. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Main.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	756009
    Last edited by coolme; 03-06-2012, 06:34 AM.
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE | Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 | 4GB DDR2 PC5300 | Sapphire Radeon HD5670 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Re: I can't change the clock ratio on my Phenom II BE processor

What BIOS are you using? Please check with CPU-z
    CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

You may need to update the BIOS, if you do that please use Qflash or DOS. Here's the latest BIOSes for that board
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2 - GA-M55S-S3 (rev. 2.0)

This CPU support list says your CPU is not supported until BIOS FJI, which is the latest, so if you are using older that is probably the reason for this issue
    GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM2 - NVIDIA nForce 550 - GA-M55S-S3 (rev. 2.0)

Comment

I checked my BIOS and it is the latest one. I proceeded to overwrite it anyway with Qflash and load the optimized settings. I still can't change the cpu ratio. Is there any other setting in the BIOS that needs to be enabled/disabled? I remember using Easy Tune once and changing the clock multiplier but now when I look at the application that option is grayed out. Thank you for taking the time to help out.
      AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE | Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 | 4GB DDR2 PC5300 | Sapphire Radeon HD5670 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Comment

Show us an image of CPU-z mainboard tab, just want to check to be sure of the BIOS version you are using is for your board revision
        CPU-Z for Windows® x86/x64 is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system : Processor name and number, codename, process, package, cache levels. Mainboard and chipset. Memory type, size, timings, and module specifications (SPD). Real time measurement of each core's internal frequency, memory frequency. CPU-Z is fully supported on Windows® 11. The CPU-Z‘s detection engine is now available for customized use through the CPUID System Information Development Kit, a professional SDK built for the Microsoft Windows & Android.

Did you load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS? If not, do that now and then be sure to set your SATA settings again before going into windows.

You may need to clear the CMOS too and try again, so if nothing else works try that next, and then do the above mentioned optimized default dance :)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Main.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	751970

I cleared the CMOS and applied the optimized default (SATA enabled already) went back to Windows to Easy Tune but no luck. I attached the picture of the mainboard info from cpu-z. I did clear the CMOS but I see there is also an option to erase in completely by removing the battery, should I do that as well?

Comment

Thanks for the image verification, that's the right BIOS for your board too, so it should be working.

Yes, please try an extended clearing of the CMOS. Unplug your PSU or switch it off in the back, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold the case/board power on button for one minute. Then put a jumper on the CMOS pins to short them, and leave it like that for a few minutes. Then remove the jumper, turn the PSU back on, put battery back in, then start the system and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS again set your SATA settings to what you need for windows, and then check the CPU multiplier options and see if it's corrected or not.

If not, try the same method above for an extended period, such as 8-12+ hours or overnight while you sleep and then leave all day while you are at work and try when you get home in the evening.

Comment

I did the first round and removed the battery and everything. I restarted the computer like you said and set the clock ratio at x16, it boots and shows text but when it comes to start Windows I have a blank screen and nothing happens. I have to turn the power off at the PSU to shut the system down. I guess I'll have to try the longer method but I have my doubts it will work, I'm under the impression something else is going on.

Comment

Well I left the battery out and the pins shorted this night and today, and I started the computer with optimized defaults. The CPU ratio still won't work. What is happening here?
                I guess this is the end of my oc story
                btw I have no jumper to clear the CMOS so I put a screw on both pins, that should do the same right?

Comment

Is this a normal CPU? Like not an ES, or OEM CPU from a Dell or HP?

Yes, if you put anything metal on the clear CMOS pins that should work fine, as long as the metal is always touching both pins to make the short.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer. I posted a message after yours but I must have made a mistake.

I have a retail processor I bought with box and cooler. My system is my own build.

I'd really like to oc this processor, I even bought an after market cooler thinking my board would pose no problem.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

No worries about a late reply!

The only thing I can think for you to do is to contact Gigabyte directly, and see if there is any known issues with that CPU and using multipliers with this board. You can contact them here, but you'll have to wait a while to hear back as they are very busy
                      GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Can you set multipliers lower than the stock one? If you are not sure, please test and let us know.

Comment

I used a 12x ratio and started the computer just to see what I always see when I change the ratio from auto, nothing.

I will contact Gigabyte and hear what they have to say.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

Sorry to hear! Yes, please contact them directly and see if they can test with your exact same CPU and fix the issue for you

Comment

I asked Gigabyte about my situation and here is what they wrote:

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Since overclock result depends on your hardware platform and the result is not guaranteed, we suggest you to Load Optimized under BIOS setting and see if system works.

You may also test with other CPU (if possible). If problem remains, please contact your original purchase retailer and see if they can check on your platform to find out the root cause.

That isn't very helpful. I don't have any other cpu and I doubt my retailer will be able to help. Would I have more luck on the Gigabyte forum?

Comment

Wow, they replied that quickly? Respond back and tell them you cannot under-clock by lowering multiplier below stock, that way they can't give you a generic "Overclocking" reply

What Gigabyte forum do you mean? If you mean the UK one, maybe, ask Dark Mantis to PM Runn3r for you, and link them to this thread.

But please do reply to their email to you, and mention you also cannot lower the CPU multiplier, and say you are NOT trying to overclock, that way they have to give you a real reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X