X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g1 assassin 2 memory problem

Hello
    Desperately hoping someone can help!!
    Having trouble with the above board and memory issues. Standard setup board, Intel 3930k processor. gigabyte approved RipshawsZ 4x4gb, Zotac GTX 580, Antec case and 750w power supply. The issue is the board will boot with a single memory stick but if I add any more it will not boot, ie the mb powers up, cpu fan etc but no display. I have tried all the sticks in the same slot and they will all boot the machine is used singularly. Now on the beta bios but none have made any difference.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Re: g1 assassin 2 memory problem

Have you tried to boo with single stick in each of the slots, then each of the modules?

Comment

Yes, please test each slot with a known working stick to be sure all slots are working properly.

I've not tested this yet, but I think you can boot with any slot using a single stick. I'll try tonight and let you know.

make sure there isn't anything in the slots such as small pieces of foam, hair, or dust, ect. Also, look under the board where the slots are and make sure nothing is shorting the slots out.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
        Have you tried to boo with single stick in each of the slots, then each of the modules?
        It will only boot from DDR3-1 slot but will allow XMP or basic on this slot. It fails on all other slots and if XMP is enabled in the BIOS I get an overclocking message when I revert to slot 1.

Comment

Maybe that's the problem, manual says it's recommended to have one module in DDR3_1 but dows not enforce it, further more for 3 channel mode any slots may be populated.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Yes, please test each slot with a known working stick to be sure all slots are working properly.

I've not tested this yet, but I think you can boot with any slot using a single stick. I'll try tonight and let you know.

make sure there isn't anything in the slots such as small pieces of foam, hair, or dust, ect. Also, look under the board where the slots are and make sure nothing is shorting the slots out.
            Nothing in the slots and no shorts that I can identify

Comment

Alright, I will test right now if single stick can boot from any channel (Sorry I didn't check yet, I've been really busy this weekend).

You could have bent pins in your CPU socket, that would cause channels to fail, but before you risk taking a look let me see if you should be able to boot with any channel using a single stick.

I'll reply here in a second if you are reading this right now, rebooting to check this for you NOW.

Comment

Yes, you can boot with a single memory module in any channel on X79, although I do see it messes up the timings on certain channel when you do this, but it only loosens them so that shouldn't stop you from booting.

So, you either have a short somewhere, or a scratched trace on either side of the PCB from the memory slots to the CPU, or you have bent CPU Socket pins or uneven mounting pressure on the heatsink. If you remove the CPU to take images of the socket, please take them in a well lit room with no flash, Macro Mode enabled on the camera, and from a few different angle looking downward onto the socket from the side. Also, do not zoom in too close as the pins will get blurry if you are too close.

Here's an image of my testing results, no problems booting with any channel and a single memory module

*Note * I just realized I had two of those channels on auto memory timings, so that is why they showed up differently than the other two, not because of anything to do with the board or BIOS or the use of a single module.

Just wanted to note this for anyone reading later, I've been using 2x2GB this week and forgot I had the other channels on auto as they were not in use.
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-26-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lsdmeasap;417628]Yes, you can boot with a single memory module in any channel on X79, although I do see it messes up the timings on certain channel when you do this, but it only loosens them so that shouldn't stop you from booting.

So, you either have a short somewhere, or a scratched trace on either side of the PCB from the memory slots to the CPU, or you have bent CPU Socket pins or uneven mounting pressure on the heatsink. If you remove the CPU to take images of the socket, please take them in a well lit room with no flash, Macro Mode enabled on the camera, and from a few different angle looking downward onto the socket from the side. Also, do not zoom in too close as the pins will get blurry if you are too close.

Here's an image of my testing results, no problems booting with any channel and a single memory module

Thank you very much for helping. I have tried the heatsink but to no avail. I will try the other suggestions. Any idea how I can check if there is a short?

Comment

Yes, you can boot with a single memory module in any channel on X79, although I do see it messes up the timings on certain channel when you do this, but it only loosens them so that shouldn't stop you from booting.
                    Do you remember which slot was each image? Because channels and slots are?
                    I wonder if the recommended for optimum performance slot DDR3_1 is one of the slots that mess up timings.

@acbarrow
                    Before uou take everything apart, try setting memory multi, standard timings, and voltage manually and try again.

Comment

Chike, see my above edit, the timings were just because I had those other channels on auto, nothing to do with the test of single module itself.

@ Acbarrow, as Chike mentioned, have you tried setting some settings with the single module and channel you can use, and then save/apply/reboot to windows, then shut down and try to add in a second stick to see if that works?

It may not help though, as I mentioned you should be able to boot with any single stick in any channel, and you already know your stick works in one channel and I assume you tried that same stick in other channels with no luck right?

To check if there is any shorts, remove the motherboard from the motherboard tray, and put it with no tray on a wooden table or cardboard box, and then try to see if it will work or not.

What cooler are you using, and did you attach a backplate or not? Check around the socket front abd back and make sure no metal is touching the board, while you do that also look for scratches on the PCB.

If the out of case test does not help, you'll need to remove your CPU carefully and take some images for us to examine.

Please be very careful so you don't bend pins while trying to check for bent pins!
                      Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-26-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Chike, see my above edit, the timings were just because I had those other channels on auto, nothing to do with the test of single module itself.
                        So the memory multiplier was set maually and timings auto?
                        If the settings would be the same with optimized defaults than it means there's a problem with his other slots.
                        I would have start nudging the seller or GB for an RMA.

Comment

If you were referring to my edit and testing, yes and no. I manually set the memory multi, and channels B and D timings, from using those slots before, then A and C timings were on auto because I hadn't been using those previously.

My comments were only about my testing and result images I showed, nothing about defaults or what he should see. Sorry for the confusion

You can boot with a known working modules in any single slot, with auto timings or manual if you know what works for your kit.

@ Acbarrow
                          Any luck with this yet? Did you test a single modules in all slots yet, so you know which ones are failing for you?

Did you take any pics of your socket yet?

Comment

If you were referring to my edit and testing, yes and no. I manually set the memory multi, and channels B and D timings, from using those slots before, then A and C timings were on auto because I hadn't been using those previously.

My comments were only about my testing and result images I showed, nothing about defaults or what he should see. Sorry for the confusion

You can boot with a known working modules in any single slot, with auto timings or manual if you know what works for your kit.

@ Acbarrow
                            Any luck with this yet? Did you test a single modules in all slots yet, so you know which ones are failing for you?

Did you take any pics of your socket yet?
                            Sorry I have been working away but have made some progress I now have 2 sticks working DDR-1 and DDR-3. Following that I changed the CPU fan but that made no difference. Thank you to everyone that tried to help it was really appreciated. I am just going to stick with 2 for now and will relace the mb at some stage probably with an ASUS as I have used them for my last 3 without any problems.

Comment

you swapped the cpu heatsink? if so then the heatsink could have been too tight hence two slots are now working,try quarter turn to loosen on each screw on the heatsink mounting and see if you can get other two slots working
                              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X