UD7 rev1.0 Around we go again - i920 OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UD7 rev1.0 Around we go again - i920 OC

my current ship was OEM i.e. non-retail. could be that chips sold to actual OEMs Dell, Gateway etc could be locked..
    GA-X58A-UD7 rev1.0 - F9d // Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz - //vcore:Normal(1.2430v)+DVID+0.07500v//qpi_vtt:1.380v//bclk:200*21(turbo)
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1866 @ 1600 ([email protected])

CPU-Z Results: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2212669

Comment

I don't think that's true, well at least not always, because I have bought 920 and W3520 from people that pulled them out of OEM systems such as Dell and MAC's.

It might be sometime I suppose, but I've never seen or heard of that.

Comment

its been a good number of years since I heard of intel doing anything vendor specific in the retail space
        GA-X58A-UD7 rev1.0 - F9d // Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz - //vcore:Normal(1.2430v)+DVID+0.07500v//qpi_vtt:1.380v//bclk:200*21(turbo)
        6GB Corsair Dominator 1866 @ 1600 ([email protected])

CPU-Z Results: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2212669

Comment

Any changes with this(new CPU or the current)? Again I have been trying and retrying the 20x200 way for 4 GHz, im starting to wish I had a multimeter, for CPU PLL cause something just isn't right with it as its the ONLY setting it responds to and lowering beyond LOW, the bios needs to go lower than 1.3 which the best current setting. I wonder if the CPU is even getting near that when its set with specifically the x20 multi in use, could be bugging and going way lower or higher than set for all I know.. I just want an answer for it I don't care what it is (the usual "well dont use it use 19 or 21" isn't an answer, and im doing that already which is 200 runs of Linpack stable).

Comment

You can get cheap multimeters for under $10 that work perfectly fine, let me know if you need a few links to check some out.

200 straight runs of Linpack is degrading your CPU, so keep that in mind as that might also be what you are experiencing.

Comment

But are they decent quality ones? If I was to get one I would just want it for PLL, VTT(the ONLY thing I dislike about Gigabyte is their lack of volt monitoring at least without bios mods) volts mostly and probably vcore I guess though that one seems more accurate.

Linpack does not "degrade" the CPU no idea where that originated from.. When settings are being run within spec(including temps and the hyped LLC), the whole "more VTT if you want go up to 1.40v or even 1.45v" stuff(same thing with other volts), that degrades the CPU. The x20 multi has been as stated since the day it came out of the box and its still being looked at until I find a reasonable answer, the overclock it has always done 19x211, is still there and fine as ever at the same settings. Never degraded any components I had, though I observed many others(some in real life, and I tried but I was ignored by the owners so..) degrade from things like running past absolute limits. My belief for the x20 multi is core speed + QPI speed vs CPU PLL and that its a BIOS bug (or design bug by Intel that needs a workaround code wise in BIOS), remember the F14e BIOS for the EX58-UD4P that was shoved away under the "JZ Electronic closet" and never released to public? The change log claimed "to fix 20x200".
              Last edited by GiggaByte; 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Ya, cheap ones are perfectly good enough for uses such as this! Do you need to know where to find some? If you are an ebayer you can find cheap ones there, from the US or overseas if you wanted to wait. Many of the cheaper ones from US sellers would be from harbor freight tools and work perfectly fine for these uses.

The basic idea of degrading a CPU with excessive Linpack easily can be compared to running a car at 9,000 RPM's for an extended period of time. Sure you can do it without issue at first, but since it's running well outside the range of normal use (And at full tilt) it will eventually wear the internals down and/or cause permanent damage, often times quicker than you might expect. You are correct though, that has not been proven by anyone, it's just common sense to many (No offense meant at all, that's just how I look at it)

I'm not sure what you are talking about with x20 + QPI Speed vs CPU PLL? I know x20 CPU multi is unstable, or requires more Vcore than odd multi's (causing instability to those unaware), in certain CPU's only, others are fine with it. I've played with one that had no problems with x20 CPU multi, but many of the others I've used just required an excessive amount of Vcore for x20 to be stable (Also similarly applying to other even numbered CPU multi's). That's different from one CPU to the next though, and not really anything to do with the board or BIOS because the CPU I tested that was fine with x20 was on the same board/BIOS that others had issues with even multi's on.

Anyway, this may not even be what you are talking about, sorry if it's not!

Comment

eBay is fine as long as theres some buy it now sellers, I don't do bidding on there.

Comment

Ya, I prefer BIN myself too, hate waiting for bids only to get outbid. I rarely bid unless it's super cheap, and I see it ending soon while it's late at night, or I think I might be able to snipe in a win!!

These are the exact ones I use (CEN-TECH), they work perfectly fine for our needs on motherboards!
                    7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER TESTER METER VOLTAGE NEW | eBay

Some cheaper listed now it looks like, same DMM though. If link does not work, use these search terms, then BIN, US Only >> 7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER
                    7 FUNCTION DIGITAL MULTIMETER | eBay

Comment

Seems good thanks. Just took one, eCheck so it'll be a while..

Comment

Ahh! I hate waiting on eChecks to go through

They are cheap, but they work good, I bought two myself and haven't had any issues with them. Compared to a $250 fluke I brought home from work they measured spot on too, just less digits is all.
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-13-2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Around next Friday I hope for, since for like the first time I didn't buy something coming from Hong Kong.. So far I been able to locate all the exact same measure points on the UD4P as on the UD5 link I left earlier in the thread about voltage regulation review, they ARE the same measure points right? I recently switched to 191x21 for 4 GHz again (actually since BIOS F12 something I think.. where it had odd issues which DON'T happen now) and am eager to see how "stock" that stock VTT is (1.175v), with the uncore at 3.05 GHz (RAM 1528 MHz, 7-7-7-20-86-1T 1.64v) and stable.. bit surprised.. im sure that was part of the earlier OCs I tried (when I built the system, but as I said, was a much older BIOS) and it was failing, but ill take it..! Right now everything stock except vCore which is 1.37500v BIOS 1.312v load LLC off, took 10.25 hrs of linpack. RAM is rated for 1.65v @ 1800 MHz 8-8-8-26-1T.

Comment

Haha, I hate ordering from HK too, but sometimes it's just so cheap you have to!

Measure points are the same on UD5/UD4/UD7, it's the same PCB. Same applies to the Bclk Hard Mod too, same for all models except UD3R 1.6 as the mod is already done at the factory.

Comment

Working...
                            X