Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvell MV91xx SATA driver - storport or miniport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvell MV91xx SATA driver - storport or miniport?

In the Marvell MV91xx driver package there are two folders, storport and miniport. Can someone tell me what the difference is? Google was no help.

Re: Marvell MV91xx SATA driver - storport or miniport?

storport was introduced in Windows 2003 and onwards... far better than XP and 2000's old way of doing things. So my educated guess would be that the storport folder is for newer OS's and Miniport for XP/2000.

From what I know miniport drivers tie to SCSIPort to talk to the disks. Storport allows more direct and efficient communications

There is a load of technical details at: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b/Storport.doc with regards to Storport

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I tested the drivers, installing them via device manager, and used Atto for a benchmark. OS is Windows 7 HP x64 SP1. No real difference, and actually better than the MS driver. At least they don't give a BSOD coming out of sleep like some previous versions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	atto (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	751670

Comment

Well I spoke too quickly, the storport driver gives me an 0x000001E BSOD coming out of sleep. Went back to the miniport driver and it is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisher View Post
          Well I spoke too quickly, the storport driver gives me an 0x000001E BSOD coming out of sleep. Went back to the miniport driver and it is fine.
          You might want to check here about the differences between the miniport and storport drivers:
          Storport Driver

Comment

sorry to necro this but I am now having the same problem with EVGA Dark mobo. Which version of the miniport driver worked for you? When you go to update the driver in dev mgr, specifically which file do you point it to?

Comment

I have been using miniport driver 1.2.0.1028 from station-drivers.com.

Unzip the file and you will see two folders, miniport and storport. There are folders for x86 and amd64 inside the miniport folder, point to the appropriate one for your OS. Newer driver releases don't have the miniport driver, just storport.

Comment

Working...
              X