GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

The quad heatsink is also taller than the duo's so this definately can be a problem.
    AnandTech - The Dark Knight: Intel's Core i7

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax2911 View Post
      Ya like right now there is only one selection that will run in P95. This test produces maximum heat, power consumption and some ram tested (In place large FFTs)this program is on my desktop(separate DL) The one that is in the my documents folder is the one that has the online account. It automatically runs online and DLs its work. I simply wanted to be conservative in testing is all. I was told that the CPU cooler is not cooling all that well maybe due to it being a stock intel cooler. What if by chance I got the Core2 duo cooler on the Quad CPU? Would that cause a cooling problem??
      To chike the whole cooler is aluminum(I know cuz I have a cooler master on my old 8i945P mobo-copper core).
      Well I'm not sure what happened, but you do not have to run online at all with it, and you don't have to have it stuck on one test setting either, default startup test is blend. Download another copy and delete those you have.

As for the coolers, when you just say generic core 2 duo vs quad it's hard to say. As Chike mentioned some of them have a much thicker core than the others, so if you want us to advise you for sure we need to know which exact CPU the cooler you are using came from. And as mentioned, no matter what, if you are having heat issues then CPU cooler origin doesn't matter - order a new better cool as soon as you can. Intel stock coolers are terrible anyway, barely good enough for stock speeds.

Comment

Well I'm not sure what happened, but you do not have to run online at all with it, and you don't have to have it stuck on one test setting either, default startup test is blend. Download another copy and delete those you have.

As for the coolers, when you just say generic core 2 duo vs quad it's hard to say. As Chike mentioned some of them have a much thicker core than the others, so if you want us to advise you for sure we need to know which exact CPU the cooler you are using came from. And as mentioned, no matter what, if you are having heat issues then CPU cooler origin doesn't matter - order a new better cool as soon as you can. Intel stock coolers are terrible anyway, barely good enough for stock speeds.
        Downloaded directly from Mersenne.org v266 zip and deleted old one.
        As far as the coolers besides the stock coolers I have a few others. One is a cooler master for a P4 which may or not be suitable. I also ordered a second Mugen2 way back about a year or so. I tried to replace it some time ago but could not unplug the main elec connection to the mobo. Yes I know there is a clip on the connector FYI it just would not pull out.... So, instead of breaking anything I just stepped back to think and then got busy with other things. Thats how the missing mobo hold downs accident played out. Sure wish things went a little smoother around here Maybe I should be glad I did not break the mobo and have to order another one. Anyway installing the mugen2 (#2) will take about a day or two for me due to my workload. This will be the best solution all things considered.
        Update: Prime95 worked out of the box after DL fresh copy from Mersenne.org Made sure to choose the correct version for XP and 32 bit OS. There is even a DL for linux too and FreeBSD if I choose to run that OS again.

One thing I just learned is the electric bill may be increased if I use this program too much. Will monitor and set time limits for this test session.

Regards
        Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-18-2012, 02:25 PM. Reason: sp and gr
        BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Even with Prime95 total system power won't be over or not much over 200 watts, so it's like 2 light bulbs. If you run prime 24/7 for the mersenne searrch then it may be a concern, not a few days of testing.

I had also hard time disconnecting the 24 pin power cobbector before, but if you persistant enough it wil l come out eventually, just be careful not to break anything or to tear off the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
            Even with Prime95 total system power won't be over or not much over 200 watts, so it's like 2 light bulbs. If you run prime 24/7 for the mersenne searrch then it may be a concern, not a few days of testing.
            I had also hard time disconnecting the 24 pin power connector before, but if you are persistant enough it will come out eventually, just be careful not to break anything or to tear off the wires.
            This will receive some measure of patience from me, to do. As, I said it will take a few days so, I will use my other backup PC until then.
            As far as the overheating problem I am now suspecting a new antivirus program recently installed. They just rewrote the code for this new AV program and there are some complaints in their forum. I am just reviewing some of the complaints, but some are saying NOD32 v5 is causing slowness and conflicts with programs. But mainly, I am taking responsibility for not making sure all of NOD32 scanners are disabled, sorry for any confusion. Searching the internet for more information on this issue. My main worry is, I did not completely disable the AV's scanning while P95 works.
            Also ran P95 with reduced AV settings this afternoon. I found there was a reduction in temps by 2-3 C Or the reduction could be from the really cold temps we have had here. P95 ran for about three hours with reduced temps and I did further disable NOD 32 for this recent test.
            Inside Temps are about 65.3-66.2 F right now from digital thermometer.
            UPDATE Will post a Screenie of the advanced settings in my NOD32 if need be to fully illustrate this issue. I have also seen that I have a section entitled Threat Sense Engine Parameter Setup. This section may detect the behavior of suspected viruses I think, there are several setting there as well. Searching for some information on all these settings that are supposed to protect me.
            OK, enough talk, I will post a thread in the NOD32 forum seeking help. Here is the main link FYI...
            http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Regards
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM. Reason: add info
            BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Nice to see you got prime working for you now without having to use it online!

Hold the clip on the 24 pin, and wiggle from side to side, that often helps them come out easier when they get stuck.

I use V5 Eset Smart Security, no issues here with it slowing down anything, might just be the AV only version? If it's not slowing things down for you then you don't have to worry about it, and it's not going to cause any heat issues either way, so no one should be worrying about it like that.

Comment

Understood, I guess I was just a little worried that there may be another reason for the problem. Guess I will find out if it is the wrong cooler real soon....thanks

Comment

It could be the AV version only, and not affect the Smart Security version, or it could be a conflict with some other software on those affected users computers, it's hard to say?

We use V5 on three computers here and none of them have any issues with it, so it's not the software itself, or at least not the Smart Security version anyway.

Comment

Hmm seems to be working now....New temps after I have installed the other Mugen2 I had on hand. This is a bigger pic so it may be easier to read. Ya I know about the other web hosting sites for Pix but this seems to work for me.
                    As for the Coolers I did put the coolermaster on for a while and got some improvement. However I think my problem was a small Cooler combined with incorrect setting in the BIOS. The setting is for the fan managment and would not adjust speed till CPU temp hit 66C. That temp is where the temp stayed due to all the factors.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Re: GA-EP45-DS3R and Core 2 Quad Q8200

Nice, those temps are much better now!

Are you still having ESET issues? If so, can you link me to your exact thread on their forum, I'd like to see what they are saying in case I see anyone else having issues with it, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          Nice, those temps are much better now!

Are you still having ESET issues? If so, can you link me to your exact thread on their forum, I'd like to see what they are saying in case I see anyone else having issues with it, thanks!
                          Regarding the temps, better still when I have the rear fan pointing the right way I think I cooled down about 2 degrees with it corrected.
                          As far as ESET is concerned, I am awed at all the settings inside this AV, which may be the problem. At first I see HIPS and wonder what it is all about. Then I see something preventing windows from unloading the classes registry file. This is Most likely NOD 32, but I am not sure.
                          Told to minimise applications impact on the OS by Tweak Guides tweaking companion PDF found here-->>TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion I ventured into the NOD 32 interface only to be mystified at all the settings. There is a off switch for up to four hours or the next restart, but is it all really off?
                          Some verified bugs are noted here with external drives-->>NOD 32 5.0.93.0 & 5.0.94.0:PC freezes when USB HD is connected - Wilders Security Forums
                          A problem with Google Chrome which may be fixed I a not sure found here-->>NOD32 Force-Closes Google Chrome - Wilders Security Forums I dont mean to alarm anyone too much because lots of people do not have issues at all.
                          Personally, I think I am protected by a good AV but It seems a bit complicated. I also have yet to really have a big problem with this AV (No external drive tried yet and no google chrome installed).
                          Regards

Comment

Haha, yes, rear fan sucking air out the back of the case is always best

Yes, there are a TON of settings in there, even more in the Smart Security one with firewall, AV, Malware, ect in it. The issue you might be seeing could be due to playing with all of those? Have you tried a full uninstall, reboot and then reinstall, and then not change any of the settings?

Since you are having issues, or possibly they are caused by this guide, I'd advise not using any tweak guides for now!

Yes, if you disable Eset it will be off, for however long you disable it, or until you enable it again. Want to test it haha? If so, copy and paste the following into a notepad file on your desktop, then try to save/close it and you'll see if it's disabled or not! Of course, if you have it disabled it will allow it, but if you have it enabled it will not, nor will it open the file if you save it with it disabled, then enable and try to open the file.

Code:
                            X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
                            Thanks for posting the Chrome link for others, I don't use it so no worries here on that! I think you are looking way too much into enabling or disabling system items, and or AV settings, Eset is plug and play for normal desktop use, you should leave all settings at their defaults unless you specifically need to increase protection and know what the setting does you are adding/enabling above and beyond the defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              Haha, yes, rear fan sucking air out the back of the case is always best

Yes, there are a TON of settings in there, even more in the Smart Security one with firewall, AV, Malware, ect in it. The issue you might be seeing could be due to playing with all of those? Have you tried a full uninstall, reboot and then reinstall, and then not change any of the settings?

Since you are having issues, or possibly they are caused by this guide, I'd advise not using any tweak guides for now!

Yes, if you disable Eset it will be off, for however long you disable it, or until you enable it again. Want to test it haha? If so, copy and paste the following into a notepad file on your desktop, then try to save/close it and you'll see if it's disabled or not! Of course, if you have it disabled it will allow it, but if you have it enabled it will not, nor will it open the file if you save it with it disabled, then enable and try to open the file.

Code:
                              X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
                              Thanks for posting the Chrome link for others, I don't use it so no worries here on that! I think you are looking way too much into enabling or disabling system items, and or AV settings, Eset is plug and play for normal desktop use, you should leave all settings at their defaults unless you specifically need to increase protection and know what the setting does you are adding/enabling above and beyond the defaults.
                              I have not tried a uninstall or reinstall of NOD32. Yes, I have changed settings from the default if only to reduce resource usage during testing. I understand that is not good for protecting my system by disabling parts of the whole. I was probably blinded by a desire to optimise you know.
                              The tweaking guide only gives specific advice on certain AV programs(currently its MSE av) In previous editions it was other AVs like AVG antivirus etc. So I did not get specific advice, only general advice. Take sounds and audio devices properties. On the sounds tab we are encouraged (by the TCTG) to either disable all sounds or choose two to three sounds for most events. This minimises the resources used for this function - sound. It is mainly for gamers LOL who want the best performance "in game".
                              I was really into gaming at one time now its only casual entertainment. I do try to safely make windows run more effiently. The last thing I want is a virus landing on my machine anytime soon. :) Thanks
                              UPDATE : Yes, my system was vulnerable LOL part of real time file protection was off all the time I could have got infected. Only after I turened it back on did it catch the test file, lesson learned. Really appreciate that you saved me from an infection. One more thing to add after I enabled protection I was unable to post at all untill I cleared IE 8 Cache, history and cookies. Later.
                              Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-28-2012, 01:04 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Since you have changed things, I'd go ahead and uninstall it, reboot and then install it again and then don't change settings anymore. You really aren't going to affect system performance by disabling anything in it, you're system is fast enough to be able to handle even the worst AV that slows down systems without an issue. So I recommend leaving default settings, they will be fine!

I do know what you mean about the desire to optimize, but you should do that elsewhere, ESET is already optimized as is and is one of the least resource consuming AV's out there.

Nice to see you were able to find and correct having your realtime protection disabled!! Not sure why that would affect your ability to post on the forums though, could be another glitch with IE8? (If you must use IE, please use IE9).

Haha, I'm sure you hear this often, but I suggest Firefox instead of IE, or if you don't like that try Chrome or Opera?

Comment

Working...
                                X