Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Post - "disappearing SATA drive" on new P67A-UD4-B3 build - UH-OH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Post - "disappearing SATA drive" on new P67A-UD4-B3 build - UH-OH!

New build.

P67A-UD4-B3 + 2500k + 4Gb Ripjaw

My old rig was finally biting the dust, became unstable at any clock/voltage/temp and so far the move had been an easy one. Had a big 2Tb external to help move across my Backblaze backup & have been enjoying the Crucial C300 128Gb SSD I'm using as my boot disc for Win7.

Did some juggling of files on my main "stuff" drive yesterday afternoon. Its a 1.5Tb SATA Seagate drive. Probably ~1yr old. I'd noticed a handful of time the drive wouldn't show up on boot - not in the BIOS or in Windows, figured something had gotten hurt on one of the small partitions I used to boot from. Deleted the old boot partitions, as I wasn't using them, and extended the big partition across the whole drive so I'd have more space for my "stuff" (mp3s, pix, movies, etc.) Wasn't TOO worried as the whole drive was supposed to be backed up to Backblaze. Figured I'd get the data a bit better organized, move it to my big external 2Tb & then format the drive & move everything back over. As of this morning, the drive has become unusable. I can get it to show up in the BIOS + Windows, but trying to read/write from it just hangs the system. Tried a few different tools on UBCD, including SeaTools, which says the drive is bad & can't help the errors.

Not time to panic yet.

Checked my Backblaze account so I could start restoring the data to my 2Tb external drive while I warranty this 1.5Tb - - - UH-OH, missing an 80Gb directory full of personal photos from my Son's first 4 years of life.

Bad news.

Any ideas?

I've been digging around for evidence of a "vanishing drive" issue - hoped to find something driver/board/BIOS/etc. related as the drive had seemed fine until now. I've tried several other SATA cables, moved it around to different ports on the MoBo, 3x different BIOSs, etc.

Re: 1st Post - "disappearing SATA drive" on new P67A-UD4-B3 build - UH-OH!

Have you tried undelete software to try and recover your missing files? Are their any firmware updates for the hdd? And try the latest beta bios for that mb on tweaktown/gigabyte/latest bios page
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: 1st Post - &quot;disappearing SATA drive&quot; on new P67A-UD4-B3 build - UH-OH!

Yup. Currently running F3d. Have also tried F3 & F4. No BIOS updates show as available for the HDD in question (ST31500341AS). . .

Looking more & more like my best option is going to be doing a logic board swap from another ST31500341AS or chucking this one in the freezer. :(

Comment

Re: 1st Post - &quot;disappearing SATA drive&quot; on new P67A-UD4-B3 build - UH-OH!

So it's not the SSD that becomes missing right? Just checking, cause I know when that happens it normally means a RMA is in the future for the drive as I've seen it several times.

Ya, if it is the other drive you may need to try a new PCB. Did you test it on another computer just to be sure too, if not I'd do that before you start looking for PCB's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          So it's not the SSD that becomes missing right? Just checking, cause I know when that happens it normally means a RMA is in the future for the drive as I've seen it several times.

Ya, if it is the other drive you may need to try a new PCB. Did you test it on another computer just to be sure too, if not I'd do that before you start looking for PCB's.
          Correct - not the SSD. I froze it last night - no change there. The drive seems able to spin up, which is the weird part. Was never any violent/nasty mechanical noises. . . Drive shows up, but when I try to copy over the files it calculates the space, then the copy dialog just vanishes w/ no files moved/copied.

New drive on the way from NewEgg, going to try swapping the board. Fingers tightly crossed. :(

Comment

Ahh cool to hear it's not the SSD!

Good luck on the PCB swap!

Comment

Working...
            X