Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte G31M-S2L Bios Overclocking problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte G31M-S2L Bios Overclocking problem.

Hi there i come across this website when looking round the internet, wondered if anybody can help me out with a problem i been having.

I have a custom made Desktop PC with Windows XP Pro SP3, my motherboard is a Gigabyte G31M-S2L with Award Software International BIOs version F9, the latest bios which is not beta.

Processor: Intel Pentium E2200 Dual CPU @ 2.2Ghz
    RAM: 2 GB Memory
    Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31

My problem is simply this, i was running my PC, with one of my processors on 3.2 Ghz, using the MB intelligent tweaker in the BIOs, however just recently its reset itself to 2.2 Ghz and no matter what settings i choose, it will not overclock anymore.

My desktop is used mostly for games with pretty good graphics, so you can imagine how bad it is to lose a full 1 Ghz of processor, i notice at the boot up that it has a CPU ID which loads every time and wont be changed.

Anyone got any ideas why it would suddenly stop letting me overclock? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Gigabyte G31M-S2L Bios Overclocking problem.

Clear the CMOS or reflash the BIOS and then clear the CMOS.

My suggested method to clear the CMOS is in this guide, should fix things right up for you

Ya, CPUID will always be the same, it's the code description string for your CPU instead of it's actual name.

Comment

So if i just reflash the same bios that will work? F9 version is the latest one i get which is a beta, i actually got this updated version about 6 months ago and it was pretty easy to do although i had never flashed a bios before.

Ill have to give that a go because its just annoying being this slow, only problem is ill have to set up my bios settings all over again lol

Also i never cleared the CMOS before, just read that guide and i dont even know what a jumper is... im definitely not a hardware kinda guy, so ill need a bit more explanation on that because i dont want to mess it up :P
      Last edited by kylos; 04-10-2011, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Ok well i just cleaned out my computer, and i noticed that my motherboard fan was not working when i switched it back on, plugged that back in properly and its working now, no idea how long that had been happening.

I noticed the CLEAR_CMOS prongs just under the bulky gigabyte thing on the motherboard, the graphics card is only just beneath that, and i dont see any kind of button to clear the CMOS.

So im pretty stuck there, i dont know what a jumper is, asked my dad about it, he had no idea, the instructions in the guide are a little vague to those people who aint experts at the insides of a computer, although i do know quite a lot about computers i never really messed around with the insides, im much more of a software kind of guy.

So i think im just going to have to reflash the bios, see if that works for me, if it doesnt then ill be stuck because i cant clear the CMOS... thanks for the help.

Comment

Glad to see you caught your fan unplugged before anything was damaged. Was it a case fan or the CPU fan?

Those CMOS pins you mention is how you clear the CMOS. Unplug your power supply from the wall, then press and hold the case power on button for one minute, then take a screwdriver and short the clear CMOS pins for about 20 seconds.

Then plug your power supply back in and start the board and enter the BIOS. Once in the BIOS load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot (F10). Then when it reboots go back into the BIOS and set your SATA/Disk settings, memory voltage, ect anything else you need to set.

A jumper is a small piece of plastic with two holes and metal in the middle, usually you can find these on old IDE hard drives or IDE CD/DVD drives, they look like this
          Jumper (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can't find one you can use a screwdriver as I mentioned above (I use scissors all the time myself actually)

Comment

Ah i sorted this problem out a couple of hours ago, after reflashing the bios the overclocking worked straight away, which im really happy about.

Tried overclocking past what i had before (which was 3.2ghz processor from the original 2.2) and realized it really does not like to go past 3.2ghz and more then 900 memory from the multiplier thing.

My rated FSB is at 1280.0 Mhz, DRAM frequency 426.7 Mhz and my FSB:DRAM is at 3:4.

I think thats pretty good, but i know if i get over 1300 Mhz rated FSB the computer does not like it and becomes unstable.

The overclocking is suitable for me anyways, dont really need to push it anymore then that, unless there is some safe easy way to do so.

Thanks for the tips and stuff, looks like i wont be clearing that CMOS just yet :P

Comment

Nice to hear you got this all sorted out!

Ya, no need to clear the CMOS now since you got it working again!

Comment

Working...
              X