Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old time builder who feels like a n00b and would like your help (pretty please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old time builder who feels like a n00b and would like your help (pretty please)

Finally after a long 6 year hiatus from gaming, I decided to build a new rig for myself. I'm not a hardcore gamer like I once was and just play as much as I can and as many titles with the free time I have. Although the wife is going to kill me when she hears I bought RIFT today hehe.

Anyway, I would like to share my specs and get some advice on getting the most out of my system. I am no overclock expert, but I do read some articles when I have free time. I would like a slight CPU overclock. I know it's possible because Dark Mantis from the official site recently used the new cooler I got for my CPU and got good results. He used a different chip, but I am sure my system could get a decent overclock since I am using the same CPU cooler. I don't expect the results he got, but I would like to think I could get to 3.5GHz stable.

My specs:

Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower
    Gigabyte EP45-U3DP
    Core2Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz w/ Gigabyte G-Power 2 Pro cooler
    CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
    PNY GTX 460 1GB
    OCZ Fatal1ty 750W ATX12V & EPS12V

The Case:
    I personally have LOVED this case so far. The fact I run it near the cold window helps, but Rosewill really did an outstanding job with the fans (all included) and the system runs very cool and has never gotten hot, let alone something to worry over.

The Mobo:

I have always admired the quality and time GIGABYTE truly offers for years. After my last POS, I decided this round I would go GIGABYTE with any hardware I can get. This board has a great BIOS to mess with I am told and this is a section I would like recommendations of settings to test. Like I said I do not want to see how far I can push it. I simply want a good push or kick in the ass.

I think I read Dark Mantis' Living Review of the Xtreme edition and I hope he will provide insight. He seems quite intelligent.

CPU: Core2DuoE7500 @2.93GHz 3MB Cache

I have read many people who have been able to overclock this CPU, but I made this post hoping someone could check my specs and I may get much better advice. I do NOT want to upgrade processors as I am saving for a build in early 2012 when the new intel boards are out along with LGA2011 before I decide the path to take.

Cooler: GIGABYTE G-Power 2 Pro CPU Cooler

Ahhh my new cooler...today I read Dark Mantis has been playing with this cooler and an i5 and getting amazing cooling that really seemed to surprise him. This is why I think I can and would like to achieve a stable OC for this CPU.

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

The M/B Specs says it takes DDR2 1366+, 1066, 800 and 667. I have read some people were NOT able to fill up all 4 slots and run 4 sticks at a time. Maybe that was fixed? I would like to know if a) 1066 RAM would truly work or b) ways to get the most out of my current RAM

GPU: PNY GTX 460 1GB

Not really interested in OC'ing this. I plan on getting a dual GPU (nvidia) card for this rig and using the GTX 460 on a future microATX build i7 based system JUST for HD video capture and encoding (x264).

Not much to say bout the PSU besides it's great so far!

The rig is very quiet.

If you need me to include more info that's fine. I am a newbie and understand. Just want to tweak this system, which in turn will get my foot in the door to learning more OC skills

Re: Old time builder who feels like a n00b and would like your help (pretty please)

Yes pleas follow steps 1-4 in this post to provide some additional information.

For gaming you'll be fine with 4GB of memory.

What do you aim for? As much as the cooler can take?

Comment

Working...
    X