• Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS3R spins up but no post

GA-EP45-DS3RQ6600 @ 2.93 ghz
    2x2GB Patriot Extreme @ stock
    9800 GTX @ stock
    600W OCZ GameXtreme
    couple HD's, DVD drive, fans and fan controller

I have had the system up for a couple of years without problems.
    Now it just spins up but nothing happens. Fans run and all the phase LEDs are on.

Boot attempts with no luck so far:
    1 No drives
    2 One stick of ram, no drives
    3 one stick of ram in various slots, no drives
    4 Changed GPU to 7800GT, with and without drives
    5 Cleared CMOS (with jumpers for 20 minutes)
    6 Cleared CMOS (removed battery for day and half)

If someone has a suggestion on where to go from here that would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking to try a different PSU.

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R spins up but no post

Tried also different sticks of RAM?
    Try to reseat the power connectors, both 24pin and ATX12V_x4/8. Press the NB heatsink at the center, to make sure it didn't move.
    And then different PSU if you can find one and/or CPU.

Comment

Okay Chike, tried reseating the power connectors to the board and both north and south bridge heat sinks seem solid but had no boot luck.
      I'll try and find some low V ram to see if that will do the trick. If that doesn't work then I'll see if I can get the CPU, GPU and ram tested.

Comment

You have tested 2 GPUs how likely both are dead?
        PSU is the main candidate, I had 2 that failed after 2-3 years, never a CPU.

EDIT: and the board of course. Is it still under warrenty? Check the first 4 digits of the SN, they represent YYMM of manufacture, GB boards has a 3 years warrenty.
        Last edited by Chike; 03-19-2011, 05:06 PM.

Comment

The 7800GT works for sure in my other rig but I haven't tested the 9800 because the PSU in the other rig won't handle it (as well as the Gigabyte MB).
          The Gigabyte rig is about 2 and half years old but I think the RMA shipping cost would be more than just buying a new board. I'll think I'll start with the PSU first then.
          At worst I'll be building a i5/i7 rig ;)

Comment

I'd test with another PSU for sure as soon as you can, and also test that PSU in another system if possible.

Are you in the US? If so it will only cost you about $12 to send in the board for RMA if you have to.

Comment

Good news! Turns out my other rigs PSU could handle the Gigabyte board with the 7800gt installed! Booted up with no problems! This OCZ PSU is a RMA replacement for a 520w Powerstream from about three years ago.
              So I'm looking for a decent PSU now. The SeaSonic M12II 620w seems like the best choice but I'm still looking around.

Another funny thing is I thought I put the cmos battery back in but apparently I spaced and can't find it. I think my 2 1/2 year old son found it and repositioned it to who knows where. Anyone have the battery code handy?

@LSD noticed the site has been updated. any chance of seeing my posts from before the update?

Comment

Ahh, so it was the PSU after all?

Haha, sorry to hear about your CMOS battery! You can run without one, but the clock and your settings will be lost each time you shut down.

You can buy a new one here if you are in the US, this is where I always buy mine because they ship in a timely manner and at decent prices, and the battery prices are cheap too (I always buy sets of 5)
                5x for $2.00 (Or $0.48 each)
                BestByte.net - Discount Computer Hardware & Reliable Service:

They do also carry cheaper ones, but I've never used those as the above ones are good and cheap

$0.39 per Panasonic

$0.29 per

Are you missing posts? I didn't know the site was updated?

Comment

I just picked up one Sony CR2025 for 1.60 Euro. That's about $2.27!!! To add insult to injury my wife just told me she found the battery!!!

Anyway, still undecided about the PSU. Looking at the Seasonic M12II-620W and the Corsair TX650 V2. I have to pull the trigger because I need the rig running. Question is do I go for the Seasonic based on older tech or the Corsair which is made by Seasonic (or CWT?). I still have a bad taste from the other "memory company gone into PSUs". Any thoughts?

@LSD yeah had at least one thread on this motherboard from when I bought it. Can't imagine why I would delete it myself. Anything is possible though ;)

Comment

Ouch, that's highway robbery! And ahh @ your wife finding the battery! At least now you'll have a spare.

I am not familiar with either of those PSU's so I can really help much there, but what I will tell you is that your PSU is the single most important thing in your system so never buy the cheapest or smallest thing you can find.

I'd lean towards the Seasonic probably if it were me.

Hmm, sorry I am really not sure about posts being deleted, but I guess it could have happened and I wasn't aware? Sorry man!

I only see this thread when Googling your name and this site via "pakmanis site:forums.tweaktown.com" So maybe you are thinking of another forum? Or maybe Google got rid of the other thread in it's list already?

Comment

Seasonic makes and supplies power supplies for several "name brand" vendors, including some models from Antec, Corsair, and XFX. All of the Seasonic made models for these vendors are very highly rated by HardwareSecrets, JonnyGuru, PCPER, and HardOCP.

The higher quality fan in the Seasonic brand power supplies are often somewhat quieter than similar made by Seasonic models sold by others. Check out the Antec TP-550/650/750 Truepower New series that are made by Seasonic. My TP-750 has been excellent.
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: GA-EP45-DS3R spins up but no post - RESOLVED

After looking at what people at the Jonnyguru forums were saying (other places as well) I ended up getting the Corsair 650W TX V2. Installed and all is good. The Corsair PSU is much quieter than the OCZ and seems to be working fine. It's only been a week but time will tell though.

Comment

Nice to hear, hopefully it remains running smoothly for you!

Comment

Now this is ancient but Im the OP actually. Old Email got changed and that account got over-looked in the process.

Anyhow, didn't want to start a new thread but have a boot problem again.

The initail screen when booting (the white text) is all jumbled.
                            Booting into bios the text is all screwed up as well. hard to tell what is going on tryed to boot with optimized defaults but still the same.
                            Window 10 will boot but cant change any screen res setting, Vista fails and restarts.
                            Guessing the bios is corrupted.

Question is do I try to clear the CMOS or try to flash the bios?
                            Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Can post pics later.

GA-EP45-DS3R
                            Q6600 @ 2.93 ghz
                            2x2GB Patriot Extreme @ stock
                            9800 GTX @ stock
                            Corsair 650W TX V2
                            couple HD's, DVD drive, fans and fan controller
                            dual boot Vista on Sata/Windows 10 on SSD

Comment

Comment