Boot Issue (GA-X58A-UD3R)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Issue (GA-X58A-UD3R)

Last edited by Kijan; 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the CPU I am using.

Re: Boot Issue (GA-X58A-UD3R)

Are you using latest mb bios? Sometimes it normal for a double boot esp if using an early bios,did you set ahci for your ssd? Personally I would disable xmp and manually set ram speed by raising spd system multiplier,then set dram voltage according to your ram and set qpi/vtt voltage to 1.3v. Try disabling floppy drive from boot order and drive A in bios and set hdd delay to 0 it will help with boot up ect
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Okay, few things:

I also disabled the floppy and CD from boot order, forgot about that. HDD Delay is set to 0 already.

Could you tell me how to enable the AHCI mode for the SSD? I tried setting something to AHCI but then the system failed to recognize my DVD-RW drive (LG SATA II)

Current bios version is FD.

Additionally, could you give me a quick explanation (including numbers) on how to set the memory as you described? Just now I checked and the RAM is running at 1066 again.

I'm not a complete n00b but some of these terms aren't familiar to me, sorry if it's annoying! :P

Comment

1066mhz is default mb settings,you need to look for spd system multiplier and set to 8x or 10x or whatever multi untill you see the speed 1600mhz,if you read in the mb manual it will show you with screenshots,for ahci it should work with your dvd drive too if its a SATA dvd drive,mines a lite on model and it works fine,you should see two options at the top and near the bottom on one of the bios pages,set them both to ahci,you should do this before you install win7 though or else you need to boot up in ide mode and do a reg tweak to enable ahci after os installation which I've done and its very simple,it will install the ahci drivers for you without os reinstall,just Google enabling ahci win 7 and the guide should POP up
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Okay I believe I've set this up properly now. I continue to experience the double boot problem but other than that everything is hunky-dory.

I tried enabling the AHCI mode as you described but the system again failed to recognized anything but my C300 SSD. I have a brand new SATA 1TB Seagate 7200 Barracuda drive I just installed, along with a dated SATA Hitachi 80GB Deskstar - neither of those, nor my optical drive, were detected. I reverted to IDE mode (top and bottom selections) and it again recognized them.

It appears that there are separate settings for the SATA 3.0 ports, considering there's an extra option that reads "GSATA6_7 Control Mode" which I changed from IDE to AHCI and things appear to be working properly.

The voltages, which I was unable to change for some reason, read 1.65 for the DRAM, and 1.25 for the QPI. The SPD setting was 12x, 10x was 1333. I figured that 1.25 was close enough to 1.3 to work.

What's the word on the BIOS version? I noticed that "FF" is the one available from Gigabyte so...should I risk flashing the BIOS or what? How much of a risk are we talking about? Will it save my old settings?

Comment

You can try updating the bios with qflash and a usb stick formatted in fat32,enable usb storage or usb legacy devices in bios and just put the bios on the memory stick,and yes I forgot that your using sata3 so what you did was right,the other ones are fine on ide its the ssd you want in ahci as it improves read/write speeds,you can save your bios settings to a profile in the bios f12 I think not sure,press it in the bios,I'm not sure if it keeps it after flashing bios though so I would write down your settings just incase,your rams running at 1600mhz now? You can set qpi/vtt to 1.315v if you can't select 1.3v as you might need more leave it where it is for now though,and set dram voltage to 1.66v which will be 1.648v in Windows
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

You're saying there's no risk associated with updating the BIOS? If there is an issue, is there a way to revert it back to the old version?

Comment

Your mobo has a dual bios so in theory if you try to flash, and it fails or is corrupted you just flick the switch on the board (or is it auto? I'm not sure) and you're good to go again from square 1. Try disabling ALL peripherals (that you don't ABSOLUTELY need) in the bios and see if that works. Hook the C300 up to a SATA2 port and disable the SATA3 controller, any IDE controllers onboard LAN, onboard audio, etc. There should be a page in the bios with all these on it and you should be able to disable them.

Comment

The dual bios doesn't always recover a failed flash,on newer p67 it much improved but on x58 ALWAYS flash in dos with qflash,it's safe,don't flash using @bios as its software/windows based and if your pc crashes ect it will fail,qflash is the way to go and 100% safe

Oh and you can flash back and forth to any bios version you prefer,do if it doesn't improve things or you prefer the older bios just flash back to that version
                  Last edited by wazza300; 03-07-2011, 04:47 AM.
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Okay. I will try updating the BIOS like you said to see if that fixes the issues.

I failed to mention another "problem" I'm having as well (had this issue from the start, not caused by changing settings): The computer will sit at a black screen, prior to the Gigabyte Splash Screen, for about 5 seconds. I don't know what is causing this, I disabled everything I could already and still it just sits there. I also tried changing "INIT Display First" to PCIE_1_16x and then to just PCI and neither fixed it.

I enabled "Quick Boot" as well.

Yet another thing to mention is that I am not receiving a POST beep, even though the computer starts just fine. It posted before but now it doesn't. Is this due to the "Quick Boot" option being enabled?

Comment

Yes it could be because of quick boot,have you updated the bios yet?
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I did update the BIOS to the latest version. I've gone through and disabled everything that needed to be disabled.

So far there is still no resolution to the boot-then-shutdown-and-restart issue. There's also no resolution to the "5-8 second blackout time" before system posts. I cannot fathom what is causing it.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comment

Did you connect a case speaker, for the POST Beep? If you did try connecting it the other way around, if you never connected one you will need to otherwise you will not hear any beeps.

Your bootup sounds normal to me for X58, well the 5 second or so black screen is. You shouldn't see double or triple boots until you are overclocked, so that isn't right and you need to make some BIOS adjustments.

Can you please give us your full exact BIOS settings in a template from my signature, maybe we'll see some things you need to adjust per your hardware.

Comment

I've got a speaker in it. It's connected properly. Quickboot or whatever it's called causes the computer not to give a POST beep.

Setting the ratios and clock settings automatically actually fixed the issue. DRAM is at 1.64v, QPi/vtt at 1.25, CPU (i70 950) at 1.232v.

I set the CPU multiplier to 24 instead of 23 and I ended up with a 200mhz O/C and now it's running fine. Go figure.

Comment

Ahh ok, ya I never use that so I wasn't aware of it causing no beeps. Sorry

Nice to see you got the system running smoothly now!

Comment

Working...
                              X