GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1.0 & i7 920 (D0) Problem. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1.0 & i7 920 (D0) Problem. :(

I have a suggestion that is highly unlikely to solve your horrible situation. But it may be worth a shot...

You say that you have a sound card on a pci slot and a nic on a pcie x1 slot, right? It might be possible then that your ICH is not getting enough Vs. Why don't you test raising the ICH VCORE above 1.1V. You have it on AUTO right now. If this doesn't work, then you might as well return it back to AUTO.

Comment

Also, why don't you enable virtualization, cpu thermal monitor, and bi-directional prochot. This has nothing to do with your situation. but still, I don't know of a reason why you'd not want to activate these features...

Comment

Originally posted by ROSESTEEL View Post
        I have a suggestion that is highly unlikely to solve your horrible situation. But it may be worth a shot...

You say that you have a sound card on a pci slot and a nic on a pcie x1 slot, right? It might be possible then that your ICH is not getting enough Vs. Why don't you test raising the ICH VCORE above 1.1V. You have it on AUTO right now. If this doesn't work, then you might as well return it back to AUTO.
        Also, why don't you enable virtualization, cpu thermal monitor, and bi-directional prochot. This has nothing to do with your situation. but still, I don't know of a reason why you'd not want to activate these features...

I've just tried upping the ICH core at all intervals up to 1.2V but still the same outcome, BIOS resets if I shut down the PC and turn it back on.

I've also enabled virtulization, thermal monitor and be-directional prochot as well.

Thanks.

Comment

I suppose a simple test might be to remove the sound card and see if the nic powers on...

Comment

ah, I see.

You hadn't posted when I wrote the above message. :)

I'm sorry to hear this didn't work. But it was a long shot. ^^;

Comment

Hmm. I had an issue this week in which I was surprised to learn that I needed to increase my IOH Core and QPI PLL above 1.2V. I have set them to 1.26V, in fact. I did this when I realized that my HD 5770 needed more power than I was feeding the PCIE 16. Less than 1.2 did not work.

So perhaps, you may need to increase the ICH even more.

Why don't you go ahead and discount the ICH VCore as the cause of your problem by removing the sound card. And see if you can power on your nic by raising your ICH. If it works, then you probably need more than 1.2 ICH VCore...

Comment

Hmm. I had an issue this week in which I was surprised to learn that I needed to increase my IOH Core and QPI PLL above 1.2V. I have set them to 1.26V, in fact. I did this when I realized that my HD 5770 needed more power than I was feeding the PCIE 16. Less than 1.2 did not work.

So perhaps, you may need to increase the ICH even more.

Why don't you go ahead and discount the ICH VCore as the cause of your problem by removing the sound card. And see if you can power on your nic by raising your ICH. If it works, then you probably need more than 1.2 ICH VCore...
                Just tried this as well but the same result sound card in and out.

Thanks

Comment

You could email gigabyte directly stating your problem with that make/model net card and they might send you a custom bios for you to try,seems to me a bios incompatibility as one card works fine and the other doesn't,did the person you bought the mb from ever get the onboard lan to work?
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1.0 &amp; i7 920 (D0) Problem. :(

What cooler are you using for your cpu?

To be honest, the only time I ever encountered your error message was when I kept screwing up at trying to install my cooler. I kept screwing on my cooler too tightly, causing the tim to be spread away from the center of the chip. The cooler that kept giving me a hard time was the Scythe Mugen II. The chip could run fine without the tim for a while. But over time, memory corruption became inevitable. Still, I was able to run my system fine without the tim coverage for almost a month. It was only when I overclocked that the memory corruption and system failure began.

On my i7 930, I had to install the cooler three times to get it on right. On my i7 950, I still haven't installed it properly. It's at another place which I won't be able to return to for at least another week. And I'm a bit fearful that I may have fried it.

You screw it on too loosely, then the temps go crazy real fast. And when you install it too tightly, the tim gets shoved away. It's tough because it's hard for me to tell if I've screw it on too tightly or not. It's very heavy and it's massive. I miss the old push pins on my p35! Ha!

Anyway, I'm wondering whether you may have the same problem as I did. I realize that I am unusually clumsy at installing coolers. But, who knows... If you think you've installed it on fine, then disregard this comment because I know how tedious the un-installation, cleaning, and re-installation process can be. ^^;

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                      You could email gigabyte directly stating your problem with that make/model net card and they might send you a custom bios for you to try,seems to me a bios incompatibility as one card works fine and the other doesn't,did the person you bought the mb from ever get the onboard lan to work?
                      I'm willing to try anything at this point so I will get onto Gigabyte now.

The person I bought the mb stated that he never had a problem with the LAN ports and that they always worked fine.

Edit: Just contacted Gigabyte, hopefully will receive a reply Monday or Tuesday next week.
                      Last edited by rackers; 02-04-2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

have you checked the BIOS F9 system info for LAN address as I mentioned yet, please do?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          have you checked the BIOS F9 system info for LAN address as I mentioned yet, please do?
                          Hi sorry, I had replied back at post #15 in relation this, after flashing both f12 and f13j then loading optimized defaults when checking the MAC address through pressing F9 both LAN port's show "N/A".

Thanks

Comment

Thank you, I guess I overlooked it, sorry!

So after than, did you then try flashing again making sure to check "Clear DMI Data"? If so, then something is wrong with the onboard LAN Chip, a MAC Address should automatically be assigned.

You may need to RMA the board, or use a USB or PCI LAN if you do not want to RMA. I use USB one and a PCI one sometimes too, both work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              Thank you, I guess I overlooked it, sorry!

So after than, did you then try flashing again making sure to check "Clear DMI Data"? If so, then something is wrong with the onboard LAN Chip, a MAC Address should automatically be assigned.

You may need to RMA the board, or use a USB or PCI LAN if you do not want to RMA. I use USB one and a PCI one sometimes too, both work fine.
                              I did indeed, looks like I'm gonna have to go the root of USB or trying another PCI-Express card unless Gigabyte come up with a magical solution!

Thanks for all your help, at least now I know that the onboard chips are gone!

Comment

USB or PCI/PCIE network card would be easy, there are many cheap ones especially USB.

You could RMA, they would either fix the chip or force flash the BIOS using a tool that would reset the MAC addresses.

Comment

Working...
                                X