Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS Advice GA-H57M-USB3

Hello everyone,

My computer seems to be running stable; However, I would like some advice for my BIOS settings. Here is a list of my components.

Motherboard - GA-H57M-USB3
    CPU - i5 760 Quad
    RAM - OCZ3G1600LV4G 2x2GB
    Video - ASUS 8400GS
    PSU - XFX - XXX650W
    Drives - OZC Vertex 2 SSD, x3 Seagate 500Gb, Sony Optiarc CD/DVD

I initially went to the OCZ forum, and I was told 8-8-8-24, tRFC 88, Command Rate 2, but this is for 1600 and I can only get to 1333 with a multiplier value of 10. I have no idea what I should use for QPI Voltage either (1.35?). MY OZC VERTEX 2 SSD doesn't boot consistently. Sometimes I have to turn the computer on and off 4-5 times before the drive even appears in the boot up sequence. I noticed that when it doesn't boot, there is a red LED that lights up on the SSD. When it does boot, there is a green LED.

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. All I need is stable performance cause I use this computer for music production.

Thanks

Re: BIOS Advice GA-H57M-USB3

have u updated to latest bios?

Comment

It came out of the box with version F9. I think that's the latest. Also, I should mention it's rev. 2. I'm starting to think that maybe I should have bought some 1333 RAM with a lower cas. Oh well, too late now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Can you give me the full specs of that memory, or an image of CPU-z SPD tab? Thanks, I can't find it for sale anywhere or on google except in threads with users requesting help or RMA's (At OCZ)

Then I can give you some full settings to try. For now, have you tested each stick one by one with the latest memtest86+? If not please do so now so you can be sure both are in good working order
        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Run 5-10 passes on each stick one at a time.

Sounds like you need to RMA your SSD, that's nothing to do with the board I don't think.

Comment

I was hoping I'd be lucky enough to get some advice from you (Lsdmeasap). Thanks for your time. I ran Memtest on both sticks one at a time and there were no errors. I have also taken a screen shot of the SPD tab. Hopefully this info can not only help me, but others as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPD.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	751164

Comment

Name:	DSC_0077.jpg
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	751165Here is a pic of the RAM and packaging.

Comment

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	751166MemTest pic stick 1.

Comment

Name:	DSC_0076.jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	751167MemTest pic stick 2.

Comment

I am running my RAM @ 1333 8-8-8-24, but it's made for 1600. Is it possible for me to run it @ 7-7-7-?? because I have it @ 1333. Is there a formula to use when setting RAM timing? Also, I have heard that it's generally not a good idea to leave BIOS settings in AUTO. Is this true? Am I missing out on performance? I don't know enough to play around with voltage and timing. I don't want to push my system to dangerous levels, but I don't want to miss out on performance either. How about turbo mode vs extreme mode in the BIOS. In turbo mode the CPU still runs fairly cool. Is extreme mode safe?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Yes normally you can scale timings down, but you will have to set DRAM Voltage to the memoy specs for 1600 and possibly more QPI/Vtt.
                    The formula would be freq2 / freq1 * timing, rounded up in most cases.
                    Try 7-7-7-20 or 7-7-7-21.

Comment

Thanks Chike,

So with your formula, it would be 1333 / 1600 * 8 = 6.665 rounded up to 7. Very cool. Anyone have ideas for QPI/Vtt. or do I just experiment. I know some guys are going as high as 1.35V.

Comment

According to spec 1.4v is absolute max.
                        What do you have it at now? Could be that you won't need more at all.

Comment

Right now I just have it in auto which I think is 1.10. I usually just leave things in auto if I don't know what I'm doing.

Comment

And everything ok with 2 modules installed, memtest86+ and maybe other stress tests?
                            Is there somewhere in the BIOS you can see the value that is set, or check the target value in EasyTune -> Advanced -> Voltage tab, if you have it installed.
                            If it's stable now maybe you don't need any more, if not try 1.155v.

Comment

Thanks Chike,

I'll do some Memtest86 and stress testing with the new values, and if there are problems I'll increase QPI to 1.155V. Not gonna happen today though... busy with family stuff. I'll reply with the results.

Later

Comment

Working...
                              X