X58A-UD3R won't boot with AHCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58A-UD3R won't boot with AHCI

I updated the bios to FE and as i had set before AHCI i made the change after loading Optimized Defaults but it won't boot until i clear the cmos and select IDE mode.

Now it should not be happening as it was working fine with AHCI before. I can't even boot to the Windows 7 disc because it won't boot any other was but in IDE mode.

Does anyone have a solution?

Re: X58A-UD3R won't boot with AHCI

try this reg tweak,it will re-load the ahci drivers,boot in ide mode and make changes to the registry

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
    After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks but i just tried this and it won't boot or get past the SSD drive if i select AHCI or RAID (just testing) and i have to press the clear cmos button and make sure it's set to IDE mode.

Comment

are u using latest intel rapid storage drivers? you can always flash back to the working bios,it might be an ssd/bios issue idk
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

yes i'm using or trying to but it won't install when set to IDE mode, and i tried a lower bios and it doesn't work getting past the detecting the SSD drive either.

Comment

ok try flashing the same fe bios again and make sure the keep dmi pool data box is unticked before you flash,then once flashed go in bios and load optimized defaults and set ahci mode and then try
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

This didn't work either, it won't go past the SSD drive unless it's set to IDE mode.

Is there anything else i can try?

Comment

whats it sticking at? the detection or does it make it to windows sign at start up then just reboot? you say you cant boot from windows dvd disk? tried windows dvd and f12/boot from dvd drive? then do a start up repair? it something to do with ahci as it wont boot when you select it,maybe corrupted driver?
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

It doesn't get past detecting the SSD on Sata port 0 it stops right as it tries to go past the SSd drive (i did let it sit for a while but it doesn't do anything), i will try to see if it will do a f12 arrangement and let you know. (If it's set to IDE i can do the F12 option, if it's AHCI then no)

I just went into the bios and i can change the last 3 Sata controllers to AHCI but not the standard one, it has to stay set to IDE mode.

If i set it to AHCI and try to boot from the Windows 7 disc it doesn't get past the SSD drive, i tried bios FC/FD and FE and they all do the same thing.

This worked fine before i originally update to FE and now it won't work using AHCI.

Looks like a permanent problem, i have tried everything i can think of, i did install Windows 7 on this SSD drive in AHCI mode so you can see it makes little sense why it won't work or boot now.
                  Last edited by davidmcc; 01-02-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: Provide further info

Comment

Sounds like the SSD may be faulty, can you verify or test it on another PC please?

Windows is already installed correct, and your just using the DVD for testing?

Also, please try clearing the CMOS for several hours. Unplug your PSU from the wall, press and hold the case power button for one minute, then remove the CMOS battery and leave it like that overnight.

Comment

The reinstall went fine (i wasn't planning on reinstalling) see i had the SSD on Sata Port 0, a 1 TB Seagate on Sata Port 1 and another 1 TB Hitachi on Sata Port 3, as soon as i took the Seagate out all was fine with AHCI, i don't know why all of a sudden i had that problem but it seems fine now.

Comment

Nice to see you got it working!

So it's now good with the seagate added back? If not maybe that drive is going bad, and should be tested with seagate's diagnostics tool.

Comment

Well it's ok and the Seagate won't work in other pc's so i RMA'd it.

Comment

Working...
                          X