GA-EX58-UD5 Rev 1.0 (F13q) - Memory issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 Rev 1.0 (F13q) - Memory issue

Originally, I had 3 x 2GB Patriot Viper memory modules installed and had them running fine at 1600 but decided a while back to add another identical set to take me to 12GB. I realise this wasn't ideal as the 6 memory modules whilst all the same brand / model are not guarenteed to work together. But at the time there wasn't 3 x 4GB modules as there is now. So I was happy to run all 6 modules at 1066 for the last year and a half.

I now want to run the modules at the original 1600 speed, so I removed a set leaving in just 3 x 2 GB. But when I try to boot with 3 modules in either slots 2, 4 or 6 or 1,3 or 5 I get a C1 board error (Detect memory - Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC). Even if I attempt to boot with 1 module in slots DDR 3_1 or 3_3 or any slot for that matter, it always results in a C1 error.

I have tried every combination possible for the six modules but all result in C1. I have reset the CMOS via the rear button as well as via screwdriver contact on motherboard countless times, but what I can't understand is if I insert all 6 again, it boots first time. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by JumpyJim; 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling errors!
    Chasis Corsair 700D Mobo GA-EX58-UD5 (F13u) CPU i7 920 D0 (Corsair H50-1) RAM Patriot Viper 12GB DDR3 GPU Sapphire 6870 HD PSU Corsair TX 750W Storage OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD / 7 TB HDD / Optiarc AD-5170A DVDRW Display Hanns.G HG281DJ 28in LCD Monitor OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 Rev 1.0 (F13q) - Memory issue

Sounds very odd!

Can you check for me, with all six modules installed, what total amount the BIOS says you have installed. Or you can check in taskmanager, or if you set expert in the memory timings, then look in each channel and see if any of them show NA or -

I am thinking maybe you have a failed channel, which can be caused by bent CPU pins, shorts, incorrect voltages, ect. So we need to check that first, if you find with all 6 installed you have less than 12GB this would be where we'll look next.

It should boot with any single module, or 2-3, in any of the white slots.

Have you tried to clear the CMOS for an extended time, such as an hour or longer? If not that may be worth a shot as well, Unplug the PSU from the wall press and hold your case power on button for one minute, then remove the battery for x amount of time (1 hour or longer, overnight may be best if you want to try it while you sleep)

Love the avatar!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply :)

As you can see, the total available memory is detected correctly. I will attempt your suggestion for an extended CMOS reset / battery removal.

The reason why it's important that my present 3 modules work is that I intend on buying a Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel Kit.
      Chasis Corsair 700D Mobo GA-EX58-UD5 (F13u) CPU i7 920 D0 (Corsair H50-1) RAM Patriot Viper 12GB DDR3 GPU Sapphire 6870 HD PSU Corsair TX 750W Storage OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD / 7 TB HDD / Optiarc AD-5170A DVDRW Display Hanns.G HG281DJ 28in LCD Monitor OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Comment

Ya, that looks correct!

Go ahead and try the extended clear CMOS, if that fails try flashing the BIOS again with Keep DMI pool/data disabled and see if that helps.

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap, that did the trick. Battery removed for an hour, switched on - 6gb detected :)

Have a Happy New Year when it comes!

Comment

Awesome to hear!!

I am not sure why that works, but I know plenty of boards that have been saved from various problems by doing an extended Clear CMOS.

Sometimes an hour is good, other times 24 hours or even longer is what's needed.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Comment

Working...
            X