Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud pop - but still works!

Hi folks,

Crazy thing happened to me. I bought a Palit 470 gpu. I shut everything down, install the gpu. I had to buy 2 PCIE 6 to 8 pin connectors onto my Antec 1000psu. I turn on the computer, it boots up to the desktop. All of a sudden, the monitor goes black, but not really black like it was off, black, but you can see some light all around the edges, I shut down restart a few times, keeps happening, and sometimes the comp reboots itself, or I have to do a hard shutdown. I'm sitting there wondering what the heck is going on, so I reach over to the PCIE plugs that power the gpu and I sort of wiggle and push on one of the connectors. All of a sudden a loud POP, and the comp shuts down!!! I'm thinking noooooooo! I get up and lean into the case but theres no smell whatsoever, nothing, and no smoke either. I'm thinking the worse has happened, I push the power button on, and the comp started up and has been running ever since. I look at the mobo (EX58-UD3R-SLI) up and down and no blown caps, nor any burn marks, the outer side of the gpu looks normal too. What the heck could have that been, and wasn't there an smell of electrical smoke? Why is this thing working still? Once in a while, the screen goes dark thing happens, so I look in the event viewer and I see a VolSnap error right when the screen goes dark. I haven't opened the psu, nor do I plan too, could it have been from that? I feel as though it wouldn't work if it was the psu. Can anybody shed some light, or has this happened to anyone before?

Thanks!

Re: Loud pop - but still works!

seemslike you didnt fully connect the pci-e cable,and when you wiggled it it made contact and shorted and caused the pc to shut down

whats it doing now? going dark? fully turn off the pc and check all the wires to the gpu and that its slotted in fully
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The comp works fine. The last time the screen went dark was last night, and the event viewer had a VolSnap error right at the time it went dark, that error has something to do with shadow copies though. Everything is slotted in tightly. So you think the loud pop was from the wire only?

Comment

yh i think,i dont understand this shadow copy thing?
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

1000W PSU with no 8 pin connectors, how old is it?

I don't have very good faith in something power related that you need to use an adapter for.

Comment

my thoughts would be that the PSU has blown a capacitor or similar inside and that another part of the circuit has taken over to supply the current especially if it was a multi rail design.

Comment

Working...
            X