Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitched sound from new vga

Hello all,

I got my new GV-N470SO-13I yesterday and have put it right to work with f@h.
    Now the first few workunits all was okay, but this morning when I put it back online there is a high pitched noise coming from, what seems to be the vga, cause it only acts up as soon as I turn on f@h.
    Ive ran Furmark, Kombuster, 3DMArk06/Vantage and games all without any noises or problems, it only happens when I use f@h all of a sudden.
    First thought was coilwhine, but I cant seem to find any on the pcb, only caps and other stuff.
    Also if I change the gpuvoltage, the pitch of the sound changes.

Rest of system:
    MSI P6N SLi platinum, C2D E6750,
    2GB OCZ PC6400 DDRII, 2WD hd's, lg dvd burner,
    Thermaltake thoughpower W0117, 750W +12V-60A
    Antec 900

Help is much appreciated
    Last edited by DaLoona; 12-23-2010, 11:39 AM.

Re: High pitched sound from new vga

Can you test with another PSU to rule out the PSU as part of the cause?

You may need to RMA the card, but I'd check the PSU First.

Also keep in mind that many graphics card do make sounds no matter what under heavy loads.

Comment

Unfortunately I cant test with another psu.
      But before this card I had 2 9800GTX's in this pc running 24/7, with the same psu and it never made that sound and they are bigger users then this card alone I reckon
      The thing that baffles me is that only f@h seems to cause it.
      As said, I ran all sort of even bigger stresses for the gpu than f@h and I couldnt hear a thing from the vga, only the casefans.
      And yes Im aware off high load noises, but I assure you, this isnt a normal one
      Last edited by DaLoona; 12-23-2010, 11:40 AM.

Comment

try disabling cie in the bios(advanced cpu features) and use balanced profile in windows/Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options

it will do the same job as c1e but should get rid of the noise
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Disabling C1E didnt work either unfortunately, but thanks for the tip.
          I'll buy me some super glue tomorrow and glue down all 4 coils on my motherboard and see if that could be the culprit.
          In the meantime if anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to share.

Comment

try eist and c1e or c3,then try with al three disabled see if the noise goes away,if not it could be gpu and psu interfering with each other as in emi leaks,maybe the older gpu was less powerfull or better shielded thats why you didnt hear it before
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You shouldn't glue your motherboard if you think the sound is coming from the card?

Comment

try eist and c1e or c3,then try with al three disabled see if the noise goes away,if not it could be gpu and psu interfering with each other as in emi leaks,maybe the older gpu was less powerfull or better shielded thats why you didnt hear it before
                Tried disabling EIST C1E and lower even voltages of mem and cpu, but problem persists.

You shouldn't glue your motherboard if you think the sound is coming from the card?
                Dont worry, first its an oldy thats gonna be replaced in 5 months and second it doesnt do any harm.
                Its just a drop of glue on the copper coil to secure it to its base, so it doesnt vibrate.

When I left the pc running (it will be folding 24/7 soon) and it gets warms then its a little less, but still there.

I'll put it on a desk and under load and try to find out exactly where its coming from and keep you posted.

So far no complaints though, except for the pitch, about the card.
                It runs nice and cool and is all I hoped for, just need to get that sound sorted.

Thanks for your help sofar and if you or anyone has more ideas, please keep them coming, I'm open for suggestions.

Comment

I know it's ok to do, but it just sounded to me like you said you narrowed it down to the sound coming from the card itself.

Good luck getting this sorted out!

Comment

Havent found it quite yet, but I suspect a coil on the motherboard, underneath the card.
                    Its the point where the power for the vga's come in, so I think because of the high loads the 470 produces it starts to whine.
                    Its getting less and less, so I think it will eventually fade away all together and also, this one is for f@h and is going in another pc in a separate room soon, so no biggie.

Im quite happilly amazed by the card however, didnt think there was much OC headroom, but got it to 850/1700/3720Mhz already and still got some overvolting left
                    The card did rise the my max temp of 85C then under gameload, Furmark made it hit a blistering 96C, so I'll leave it at that, or I must go for H2O/LN2/Dice

Gigabyte....you rock !!!

And thank you all for your input and help here at the forum
                    Last edited by DaLoona; 12-28-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I also have that high pitched noise when I run some programs, don't mind it.

Comment

never had squeal before new card so still going to say psu , but dual 9800gtx is not 470 and read many post of thermaltake not liking some video cards maybe thats one good luck!
                        Last edited by flybye111; 12-29-2010, 05:01 AM.

Comment

read many post of thermaltake not liking some video cards maybe thats one good luck!
                          Thats a good one, need another psu anyways, so might as well order one.
                          Thanks for the info.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X