Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faulty "video processing" on motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty "video processing" on motherboard?

Hey guys,

recently bought a GA-890GPA-UD3H for a new build, but it has been giving me issues with any gaming/3D application I run into it.

Here's the thing: I initially bought it to survive without a discrete video card since didn't have the cash to build a full blown PC at the time. I had heard that integrated video was enough to play starcraft 2 with decent quality, so figured it was enough in the meantime.
    Well, i got it, but was unable to play anything at all. The PC worked perfectly everywhere, stable at anything, but when something 3D came up, it would crash/freeze/"display drivers topped responding but recovered correctly", etc. Thought it was faulty integrated video or whatever, and eventually, bought a discrete card. I got a new GTX460.

Well, figured the issues would dissappear since I would stop using the "faulty integrated video" I got, but sadly, it's not the case. I get basically the same issues. Back then, 75% of the times, the PC would freeze completely, 25% it would "recover correctly". The only difference is that it now "recovers correctly" 75% of the time, and freezes the other 25%, but it still does not work properlly. THe only components I have not swapped or changed are the RAM, motherboard and the new video card. RAM is in perfect shape, full week stress testing alongside the CPU (sempron back then, 965BE now), for hours straight without a single issue. video card and motherboard are left. I'm exchanging video card with a friend, and see if I still get the issues with a third video solution, or/and he gets issues with the GTX460.

Guess the question is this: can a motherboard influence on 3D performance like this? Is there something in the motherboard that could be faultyu that breaks GPU performance and reliability?

THanks, sorry for the long story.

EDIT: System specs:

Phenom II 965BE @ 3.4GHz
    2x2GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Black Edition
    this motherboard
    MSI GTX460 HAWK
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Antec 650W TruePower New

temps are in great shape, no issues there.
    Last edited by axy1985; 11-29-2010, 09:05 PM. Reason: Added system info

Re: Faulty "video processing" on motherboard?

Are you using the latest BIOS, Chipset, and Graphics drivers?

Comment

I "gave up on " AMD a long time ago.
      On the gx and drivers part .
      Is the onboard gx disabled with the 460 installed?

The gx drivers that came with the card should be up to date . i find the 260.99 very good,tho there may be a newer one now.
      Nvidia driver installation is much better than it used to be:
      Did you make sure to enable the option that removes all old gx drivers when you installed the new ones?
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Just checked gigabyte site, and theres a new latest BIOS, FF. Will try and see.
        Other than that, yes, latest nvidia VGA drivers and latest ATI SB drivers. Integrated is disabled while having GTX460 there. When installing new drivers, I run DriverCleaner, and then choose the option to fresh install the new nvidia drivers.

Comment

double post: recent FF BIOS claims to fix a Coll'N'Quiet issue... anyone know what issue was that?

Comment

Not sure?

How's things coming along with the new BIOS?

Comment

not sure yet, have had a rough week. i did run into issues with the new BIOS after updating (got stuck at a "writting backup BIOS" stage over and over), but after a day long CMOS clear, it came back to life.
              i've been able to play starcraft 2 without a single issue, which is good, but I still have to test all around.

Comment

Nice to hear you got it working after clearing the CMOS!

So did it eventually update the BIOS or not?

Comment

yes, BIOS is current FF version now. Odd it got stuck in that strange cycle... hope the backup BIOS didn't go wrong with this. i still have to check if the issues were corrected too.

Comment

sorry it took me a long time to check... it still doesn't work. Constantly getting "display driver has stopped responding", even with different video cards. RAM and CPU are just fine, retested for several hours using blends of OCCT, sp2004 and prime.
                    Can a motherboard work well, except when handling video-related requests? how would I describe the problem when/if i end up RMAing the motherboard?

EDIT: i believe it's unlikely that it's the failing picece, but how can I make sure the PSU is out of the question?
                    Last edited by axy1985; 12-27-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

The only thing you can and should do it test another power supply if you can, and I would also for sure test an ATI card too so you can rule out Nvidia drivers as the issue.

Does this happen if you remove the nvidia drivers and use only the Microsoft default ones?

Comment

Working...
                      X