Only 3.87 GB usable with GA-H55M-S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 3.87 GB usable with GA-H55M-S2

I am currently using Windows 7 64 BIT operating system. I have 4GB of ram installed but I am not able to fully utilize 4GB of Ram. Windows 7 shows me that only 3.87 GB of ram is usable.

My PC Specs are as follows:

Intel core i3 540
    Mushkin 2x2 GB RAM DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Zotac GTS 450 1GB DDR5
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bt operating system.

Previously, I was using Windows 7 32 bit opearting system and Windows was displaying only about 3.49 GB of ram is usable. I realised this is a limitation of 32 Bit operating system which cannot display more than 4GB(theoretically around 3.5 GB). So i formatted by hard drive and installed fresh copy of Windows 7 64 bit operating system. Still, I am not fully able to utilize my 4GB RAM.

I think H55 based motherboard( frm Gigabyte) coupled with Intel core i3/i5 processor is causing this problem because i have heard that many users are reportedly facing the same problem having the H55 Chipset.

Around 140 MB of ram is hardware reserved in my case. I know that if i lose 140 MB of ram, there won't be any major difference as far as performance is concerned but still if i would have been fully able to utilize my 4GB of RAM, it would have been better.

I think may be there is some kind of bug on H55 based motherboard. Gigabyte motherboards generally have automatic memory remapping feature still many users are facing this problem. I sincerely hope Gigabyte rectifies this error in future BIOS updates. My bios update is F4.

Re: Only 3.87 GB usable with GA-H55M-S2

Is the built in graphics disabled?

Comment

yup

Comment

its a common problem on gigabyte mb's,it reserves 140 mb for onboard graphics,even if its disabled and i dont know whether its a bios issue either,cant say about asus mb's whether they do the same thing

try setting system performance enhance to standard in the bios,see if that has any effect
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, more technical information on this can be found here

And here

Comment

Well...Please find the screenshot of the reply which i received from Gigabyte Technical team ....

Dear Vinod,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, the reason you lack of memory can be related to the processor. Core i3 540 Clarkdale will consume the memory, thay why only 3.87GB is usable. If you try a Lynnfield processor, like Core™ i5-760 2.80GHz, then it won't have this problem.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
            GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" background="http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/pop-bgtitle.jpg">
            Question - 1008750
            </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>From : </td><td>Vinod Kumar Nair </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>11/28/2010 20:33</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>I am not able to utilize full 4GB of RAM with this motherboard in Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit operating system. It says only 3.87gb usable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Model Name : GA-H55M-S2(rev. 1.3)
            --------------------------
            M/B Rev : 1.3
            BIOS Ver : F4
            Serial No. :
            Purchase Dealer :
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : GTS 450
            CPU Brand : Intel Model : Core i3 540 Speed : 3.07
            Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP :
            Memory Brand : Mushkin Type : DDR3
            Memory Size : 4GB Speed :
            Power Supply : 400 W
            </td></tr></tbody></table>
            Last edited by halo12; 11-30-2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Lynnfield CPU also has memory reserved as well, but not as much as Clarkdale, as noted in more technical detail by the Gigabyte support team in the above linked threads.

Comment

Working...
              X