GA-X58A-UD3R Memory problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R Memory problem

Hi everyone, need a bit of help with a new build I put together. I have the GA-X58A-UD3R with the Intel I7 950. At 1st I had 6 GB of Patriot memory, Viper2 Sector 7 series, and the system would not work with all 3 sticks. I couldn't even install Windows until I removed 2 of the sticks. With 1 stick in DDR3_1, the system runs fine. Once I add the sticks to DDR3__3 and DDR3_5 it the system will not boot into windows, it just restarts or just hangs at post.
    So I decided to return the Patriot ram and try Corsair XMS3, basically the same problems as above, only 1 stick will work. I tried upping the voltage, changing memory timings with no luck, so at this point Im pretty much stuck. So any ideas will be appreciated!!

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R Memory problem

With one stick installed, try clearing CMOS then load optimized defaults. If the memory has an xmp profile, enable it. Then shut it down and install the other two sticks and see if it works.

Comment

are you using the latest bios? you might have a bent cpu pin,it will cause memory to fail or not work,if bios update doesnt fix it then carefully inspect the cpu socket for any even slightly bent cpu socket pins,be carefull when checking not to bend any

flash with q-flash aswell not @bios

when you say upping the voltage what voltages did you adjust?
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Im using the latest bios off the Gigabyte site, FC. Im starting to think that bent pins may be the problem, although I will try the posters suggestion of loading the xmp profile.
        Edit: The voltages I adjusted were QPI and the memory voltage
        Last edited by kilroy2963; 11-26-2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

try xmp or manually setting ram speed/timings and set dram voltage to 1.5v and qpi/vtt voltage to 1.31500v
          set uncore freq to twice what the memory multiplier is then add one to it,so for example 8x mem multi will be 17x uncore freq and so on
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I took the mainboard out and took the heatsink off to take a close look at the socket, and sure enough there was a bent pin. I straightened it out, reseated the heatsink and it booted right up with 6GB, no issues since. I ran Prime95 for 1/2 a hour, and the memory tester that is in windows 7, and everything looks good. Thanks!

Comment

im glad you managed to fix it,i dont like the plastic socket cover they use sometimes its hard to remove but atleast you managed to fix it
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Great that you could fix it. I have the exact same board but have 2 G.SKILL 4GB RAM modules. The BIOS would sometimes see both but mark the second as disabled or sometimes the machine would not even POST. When I remove one module the machine works fine. I swapped the RAM modules and they both work so I know the RAM is fine.

I then saw this post, removed the CPU and looked carefully and noticed one damaged pin on the socket. I mean instead of metal I saw a black blotch there. I have sent the board back for another.

But here is my question: Since the CPU fits into the socket just one way (you cant even get it to the socket at an angle or wrong position) then is this always a manufacturing defect? I ask this because I want to be sure its not me lol

I have built machines before and never had such a problem. But in the past (Pentium world) when you placed the CPU on the socket you needed to push it in and you could feel the pins go into the socket. With the I7 I did not feel that. I placed the CPU into the socket, it felt like a snug fit, I gently pushed down a but felt nothing. So then I clamped it down with the lever. Now at this point it felt a little tight (the lowering of the lever was not as resistance free as when there is no CPU in there). Did I do this wrong?

Thanks.

Comment

the pins are in the mb inside the cpu socket,their very tiny and easily damaged,sometimes removing the protective plastic socket cover can damage a few pins,its normal for the clamp to be stiff and tight as it applies pressure to the cpu,gigabyte are good when it comes to repairing damaged pins,some other manufacturers will flat refuse to repair
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

wazza,

Thanks. I just watched a few videos too. I doubt the damage was caused by me. I was extremely careful. My only doubt was the fact that the lever offered some resistance.

But then I did get thinking that since there is no way you can put the CPU in the wrong way, if the CPU and pins do not align then either the CPU has a flaw in its shape or the socket. Assuming the builder handles the MOBO, the socket, and the CPU with care I dont see how one can cause damage.

You raise a good point about removing the socket proective cover with care. The instruction manual also very clearly states that

Anyway. I will inspect the new MOBO before I install the CPU this time. May save me some time and grief in diagnosing and shipping etc.

Thanks.

Comment

I hate how secure the covers are as well, the P55 cover design feels a little safer to me at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X