A Complicated Problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Complicated Problem...

Hello. and thank you for viewing this thread with the intention of helping someone like me.

Keep in mind this is a long post as I feel like I should tell the entire story in order to finally figure out my problem. I apologize in advance for the length of my post. Atleast I used paragraphs! Also keep in mind that neither Intel Tech Support, Gigabyte Tech Support, Toms Hardware, nor Overclock.net was able to solve this problem. No one is able to figure it out.

Now I decided to upgrade this old rig of mine with a new motherboard, cpu, and RAM. So essentially an entire new machine. I purchased the i7 950 processor, the Gigabyte x58a-ud3r motherboard, and 6GB Mushkin Blackline RAM. I kept my Radeon HD 4850, my OCZ gamextream 850w power supply, my 500GB hard drive, and a DVD drive.

Thus begins my troubles. I powered on the machine with no trouble, and I installed Windows 7. It installed with no trouble, but when I attempted to power it on it would reach the Windows is starting... screen and then it would restart altogether. I tried to use a different power supply and a different hard drive to no avail. My memory passed Memtest three or four times. I tried using a bare bone system with a much more light weight graphics card. This did not work so I thought I narrowed it down to that. I deduced it was a bad motherboard and had it RMA'd and when I received my new one I rebuilt the entire computer over again and it had worked! For a while. The next day I was experiencing the same issues. I decided the hard drive would be the next logical problem.

I ordered a new 1.5TB hard drive and installed windows 7 on it and it would do the exact same thing. I tried using a different Windows 7 install CD, this too had no effect. I decided to RMA my Mushkin RAM this time, along with my motherboard and Hard drive AGAIN in case I was just extremely unlucky. I asked the Toms Hardware Forums, Gigabyte Tech Support, and Intel Tech Support and nobody was able to figure out the issue.

I get all my parts back and assemble my computer for the third time and everything works perfectly! again, that only lasted for about 3 days. On the third day the computer randomly restarted and I would get stuck in a booting loop again. It would reach the windows is starting... screen and then restart, continuing the cycle.

I did my research and found out that my motherboard is known to have some odd compatibility problems with certain RAM modules. So I got my Mushkin Blackline RAM modules refunded and got a triple channel set of A-Data RAM that was off of Gigabyte's approved memory list. This time I knew it could not be a memory compatibility issue.

I received these new modules last Wednesday, replaced them in the computer and everything worked absolutely perfectly. It worked wonderfully for the past several days, I saw some signs that my computer was restarting again, however, as my programs were sometimes gone after I had left for awhile and came back. I confirmed my suspicions when I started using a program to monitor my computer's uptime. I discovered my computer was randomly restarting on me every couple hours or so, though I never saw it for myself. I decided that in case it was a BSOD error I turned off the "automatic restart upon system failure" option in order to see if I was getting such errors. Well the answer was evidently no as my computer continued restarting when I was not looking. Keep in mind that I had not seen my computer restart for myself yet. Until tonight.

I heard my computer turn back on while I was in the kitchen, so I knew that my computer had just restarted. I rushed upstairs, checked my uptime and sure enough, I didn't even have a minute of uptime yet. I decided I would run an HD Tune test to make sure it wasn't a hard drive issue. So I started HD Tune, then came back 5 minutes later to find my computer had restarted. But this time it did not just restart, it was stuck in the same fateful loop I had been seeing the entire time. The only difference is that it made it to the welcome screen this time. I tried restarting it myself, but it would make it to the welcome screen then restart.

I still have not been able to fix this computer. The overvoltage LEDs for the DDR or NB (maybe both, Gigabyte's manual shows them in the exact same place) show 4 lights that are green, orange, green, orange. The LEDs turn off as soon as the computer attempts to boot. I tried a different power supply and the same lights show up. My temperatures seem to be fine, the CPU is at 41 C and my MCH is at about 50 C.

So now this is where I plead you for help. I feel quite helpless for the first time in many many builds. I have never had so many problems with a computer build. Keep in mind I have asked many people, including professionals, if they could help. So far no one has been able to figure this out.

If you have any suspicion AT ALL as to what may be the problem, I would greatly appreciate the assistance. Believe me, I am open to try anything. If you actually read through this entire post you have shown you care a lot more about helping than the average person ever would. So I thank you for that at the very least.

This is what has happened since then (What I have done since posting on Overclock.net)

UPDATE: I plugged my old PSU back in to the computer and turned it on. There was a CHECKSUM error and asked me to boot from CD. I press F1 and continued to boot. The same thing happened when I attempted to boot.

I am going to try to flash the BIOS a second time, though I'm not quite sure if that will do anything. RMA'ing the processor is probably something I will try if this doesn't work. I appreciate all the help everyone has given.

Any more ideas would be very much appreciated, though most of them I have probably already tried.

UPDATE 2: I flashed the BIOS and restored optimized defaults. It FINALLY started up again and I am currently able to get on my desktop. I am still very skeptical as this is not the first time I have reached this point only to fall back in to the same problem. I checked the event viewer and there were two error ID 41's and two error ID 6008's. Does this mean that I will see these errors again in the future? How can i be assured that I will not fall back in to the same problem?

UPDATE 3: My suspicions were correct; the computer restarted on it's own 2 hours after I turned it on. It turned back on, however, and still booted. I noticed a number of errors in my event log:

One that said: Audit events have been dropped by the transport. Event 1101
    Another said: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Event 41
    And the last said: The previous system shutdown at 5:19:50 PM on ‎11/‎9/‎2010 was unexpected. Event 6008

I'm assuming this means that the computer doesn't understand why it is turning off either. Does that make the problem any more clear?

UPDATE 4: I am currently downloading Ubuntu and have changed the RAM timings and speed to suggested settings. The RAM timings doesn't seem to have made any difference.

UPDATE 5: My computer again refuses to boot, this time it stops at the Starting Windows... screen again. I am currently running off Ubuntu using a CD, I have not yet installed the OS, however. If Ubuntu restarts I am stumped.

UPDATE 6: Ubuntu has been running off a CD for the past eight hours without a single restart. I may be wrong here but it seems that this has to mean something about either my hard drive, OS, or sata controllers.

UPDATE 7: Windows has been running for the past 12 hours without any restarts after I changed my board's vdroop to standard. I am hoping this means my problem has finally been solved.

UPDATE 8: Windows started restarting again. Now it won't last 15 minutes before restarting.... 5 page long thread and still no solution. My uptime continues to get shorter and shorter everytime I turn it on.

Re: A Complicated Problem...

are you using ide or ahci for you hard drives? and what voltages are you using? manual or auto? stock or overclocked? using latest drivers for lan?intel inf chipset? seems like a bios setting to me either ram or qpi/vtt or both

are you turning off sleep in windows?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      are you using ide or ahci for you hard drives? and what voltages are you using? manual or auto? stock or overclocked? using latest drivers for lan?intel inf chipset? seems like a bios setting to me either ram or qpi/vtt or both

are you turning off sleep in windows?
      I am using ide for my hard drives. My voltages are all set to Auto. My CPU is set to stock, I changed my RAM to the recommended settings(1600mhz 9-9-9-24 timings). I am fairly sure I have all of the latest drivers.

Sleep is off in windows.

Comment

if your at stock clocks you might be able to set cpu voltage to normal in the cpu voltage list,set dram voltage to ram spec which is usually 1.66v if its rated at 1.65v,or 1.5v,and set qpi/vtt voltage to 1.315000v auto isnt as reliable as manually setting these,try those and see if it improves things
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

if your at stock clocks you might be able to set cpu voltage to normal in the cpu voltage list,set dram voltage to ram spec which is usually 1.66v if its rated at 1.65v,or 1.5v,and set qpi/vtt voltage to 1.315000v auto isnt as reliable as manually setting these,try those and see if it improves things
          Made all of those changes and now it reaches the Welcome screen then restarts.

Comment

try disabling all floppy drives from the bios and drive A even if you dont have them installed,it can some times cause problems with win7,next insert the windows cd and do a start up repair and see if it fixes it
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

None of this worked, however I managed to get in to safe mode. My event log had a bunch of errors from the last 15 minutes however. Most of them saying something along the lines of "The Peer Name Resolution Protocol service terminated with the following error:
              %%-2140993535" and a few critical errors that said "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." which pretty much said the computer shut off without windows knowing why. : P

Comment

i dont know,its very strange with all the rma's for new hardware,the only thing you havnt changed is the cpu,it would cause crashes like that if the imc integrated memory controller was faulty

i cant think of what else it could be,maybe faulty windows disk? idk

what other brands of psu did you try?
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Some no name PSU's, though I don't believe that would really make a difference as I know they are fully functional(for now). And I have used different versions of windows for installation, to no avail.

So the CPU is the only possible solution? How good is Intel with warranties? What do I have to do for an Intel CPU warranty?

Comment

i dont know for intel,i would guess at emailing the place of purchase and ask for an rma ticket,then they would send to intel and send back a replacement,3yr warranty on intel chips

did you try with those settings i gave you but put cpu voltage on auto? and do you see full 6gb of memory in the bios screen?

oh and another thing to try is remove the mb battery and leave it out overnight just to be 100% sure and clear cmos,then put back in and try,try flashing the bios again but make sure that keep dmi pool data is un-ticked before you flash,just incase its corrupted something,and if you boot into windows in safe mode again run checkdsk on your os hard drive to correct any errors
                    Last edited by wazza300; 11-12-2010, 08:05 PM.
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

i dont know for intel,i would guess at emailing the place of purchase and ask for an rma ticket,then they would send to intel and send back a replacement,3yr warranty on intel chips

did you try with those settings i gave you but put cpu voltage on auto? and do you see full 6gb of memory in the bios screen?

oh and another thing to try is remove the mb battery and leave it out overnight just to be 100% sure and clear cmos,then put back in and try,try flashing the bios again but make sure that keep dmi pool data is un-ticked before you flash,just incase its corrupted something,and if you boot into windows in safe mode again run checkdsk on your os hard drive to correct any errors
                      Newegg won't take an RMA a month after purchase. So i guess I will email Intel.

Yes I tried all of the settings you have given me and all 6GB of memory is displayed in the BIOS.

I will try all this also, though I doubt it will make any difference at this point.

And oddly enough the computer has been running perfectly for the past 2 hours???? It seems like the amount of time before the computer restarts changes every single time. I have not made a single change since it was restarting 30 seconds into loading windows and now it has been up for 2 hours!

It makes no sense that my computer's uptime is so inconsistent. If my processor was bad then wouldn't my computer be consistently failing?

And I remember two weeks ago my computer passed 8 hours of a prime95 blend test. Why would it pass this but still be a bad chip?

This computer makes absolutely no sense and I'm losing hope by the day.

Comment

well im only guessing that it might be cpu,i would hold out a little bit first and try more bios settings,could be bios or a driver thats causing it,removing the mb battery wont hurt though and re-flashing with clearing dmi pool data,then re-enter your ram timings and dram/qpi-vtt and cpu voltages manually and see if its improved,are mb and cpu temps ok?

ohh i just thought look in advanced cpu features and disable c1e, test with intel turbo boost disabled aswell,could be the power saving mode thats causing it to crash
                        Last edited by wazza300; 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM.
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

well im only guessing that it might be cpu,i would hold out a little bit first and try more bios settings,could be bios or a driver thats causing it,removing the mb battery wont hurt though and re-flashing with clearing dmi pool data,then re-enter your ram timings and dram/qpi-vtt and cpu voltages manually and see if its improved,are mb and cpu temps ok?

ohh i just thought look in advanced cpu features and disable c1e, test with intel turbo boost disabled aswell,could be the power saving mode thats causing it to crash
                          Should I flash with FC or FB? Tweaktown forums have FC but the Gigabyte website only has BIOS FB.

And if the power saving modes fail shouldn't I return the CPU anyway?

Comment

FC, you are that guy from OCN i sent over here ? lol. Man that is a long post.

Comment

Run the pc for awhile with the mbrd outside of the case.Bench it.
                              Run on optimised defaults.Remove all the windows error reports from the HDD,unless you are going to use them for something.Do the chkdsk thing as above.
                              Could you give an exact rundown of all your system components.
                              Like for example are you using a usb stick for readyboost,are you using the stock cooler,is it seated properly,what sort of temperatures do you get when the pc is running.The dvd is it sata? .What case usb mic+headphone wiring are you using(realtek connection or the hi def).Interface devices usb or ps2+ types? is the usb standard different to your old mbrd,maybe all usb devices are new also?.The new hdd is it/was it running with win 7 and nothing else on it except drivers?,are you using the 500g in conjunction with it cos most of your old apps are on it? .The 4850,did you run a dx check on it after its drivers were installed ,does the problem happen if you leave it running in basic vga etc etc.
                              Have you saved and rebooted with optimised defaults more than once ,ie load settings save settings seems ok restart check settings in bios are optimised firist boot device etc then resave and start again,do ypu use msconfig to cutdown on startup apps loading,
                              etc.
                              ^Lack of paragraphs ,just trying to think of any possibles not covered.
                              Last edited by kick; 11-13-2010, 04:58 AM.
                              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
                              X