GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0 help

I have been using my GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0 with the Fb10 firmware and everything was fine. I saw that Fb12 got released and upgraded to it. Since then I have had 2 problems:

1. With Fb12, the SATA3 controller no longer could be configured as AHCI in BIOS; it only had IDE and RAID. Even when configured as RAID, when I went to configure the RAID array, the BIOS reported the controller was in IDE mode. I even tried configuring as RAID, saving and exiting, then configuring the RAID array, and still had it complain it was in IDE mode. As a result, Windows loaded the IDE driver. I had to back out to Fb10 to get AHCI working again. I am staying with Fb10 for now.

2. This may just be coincidence, I am unsure... The USB 3.0 controller now has a yellow exclamation point through it. This occurs under Device Manager / Universal Serial Bus controllers, and the device is Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit tries to fix it my reinstalling drivers, but says it could not install the driver. The summary window says it has a driver problem. I have uninstalled the device via Device Manager, then uninstalled the drivers from Uninstall or Change a Program, rebooted, then reinstalled, to no avail. I have the newest driver, version
    OS:Windows XP 32bit,Windows XP 64bit,Windows Vista 32bit,Windows Vista 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 7 64bit

Has the bug in #1 been reported to Gigabyte?

Anyone have ideas on how to resolve #2? Do you think my motherboard is flakey?

Thanks!

Re: GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0 help

I just tried the newest non-beta BIOS, FB. It has the same issue as #1 above where the SATA 3.0 controller is configured for RAID, but when I try to configure the array, it claims it is in IDE mode and I need to put it info RAID mode.

Solutions?

Comment

Please send in a report here about that issue, thanks!
      Technical Support - GIGABYTE

Comment

I figured I would provide an update in case any one else has the same problems. When I upgraded to Fb12, I think I may have put the USB 3.0 controller in Native mode. When I downgraded to Fb10, where that settings does not exist, it caused some weirdness, which is why Windows 7 had issues with the driver.

I loaded BIOS FB, the newest non-beta BIOS, keeping my settings. This caused the system to hang during POST, at the Gigabyte splash screen. I reset the settings using the button on the back, which allowed the system to POST. I then changed all my settings back to normal, but left the USB 3.0 setting at the default (which is to use legacy mode, if I recall correctly). When the system booted into Windows 7, USB 3.0 was working again.

Interestingly, FB has the same issue as Fb12 with respect to the SATA 3.0 controller. It lists only 2 modes, IDE and RAID. You will note that AHCI is not listed. From what I have read, RAID mode on many motherboards is also AHCI mode, so I configured the controller to RAID. Again, when I try to configure the RAID array to see the drives, it complains it is in IDE mode.

I am unsure why I get this error. I do not want to actually build a RAID array, I just want AHCI mode. I have an SSD connected to the controller, and it gives a 7.9 Windows Experience Index score in AHCI mode, but only a 5.8 in IDE mode. I tested the system using RAID mode, and got a 7.9 score, so it is definitely in AHCI mode.

I am thinking that perhaps the RAID configuration mode barfs is that it knows the connected drives cannot really be made into an array: I have a small SSD and a 2TB hard drive connected to it. Interestingly, BIOS Fb10 allows me to view the array controller and see both drives.

There is definitely something buggy, even if it is only a bad error report stating the controller is in IDE mode. However, since everything is working, I am not escalating any further.

Comment

I have just the opposite BIOS settings, I think anyway. I am using UD7, older BIOS F7x but I think it has always been this way for me.

I only have BIOS options IDE or AHCI, no RAID. To use RAID I set AHCI then enter the RAID Config page and setup RAID, no issues.

When you updated the BIOS previously, or now, did you also update the Marvell firmware? Current version is 2.1.0.1502, in order to update set Firmware Selection to Auto then reboot and it will update the firmware on the IRQ Screen, you will see progress of the update at the top of the page. Then when you reboot back to the BIOS the setting will be automatically set back to onchip.

I think they just may name things incorrectly/differently between the BIOS versions or between motherboard models? I know RAID works fine for me and always has, and AHCI as well as I have tested both, and I don't have RAID option like you mention you have :)

I can also enter the RAID Config with one drive, two drives, or zero drives connected to the Marvell ports, no problems at all. So it may be a BIOS bug and if so you should report it even if it is not causing you current issues, because it might be for others and if no one reports it they may never know.

Comment

I just tested the latest Final BIOS for UD7, and see the same issue you mentioned!! Only mine is a little different, I have IDE and AHCI in one setting and RAID in another, all for Marvell, but NONE of them allow you to enter the RAID ROM BIOS and I'm presented with the "IDE Mode" error you mentioned. I can however configure a RAID array using the MRU Web based Marvell tools, and even after that I still can't enter the RAID BIOS ROM and am told I am in IDE mode still (With bootable working RAID array already setup)

So it is a BIOS bug, if you need RAID on the Marvell controller I suggest you go back to the latest Beta before these new Final updates, or use the web interface and create an array (I tested and that works fine)
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

dude so you dont set that setting, its the settings above that GSATA 6-7 two options, its above firmware option for marvell, look in the manual, i have the most current bios and i can choose between sata3 ide and ahci, below that for the controller it only allows ide or raid, but i set it to auto and set the one 3-4 options above to ahci.

Comment

I hate to open an old topic but I have an issue as well.

I finally am using a USB 3.0 device (new phone) before I updated to FF6 I had no problem with it detecting my note 3 usb 3.0 phone. However for the last 6 months after updating I can use the USB 3.0 port as USB 2.0 (I think its 2.0 speeds) but nothing is detected as 3.0.

I really could use some advice I have tried revo uninstalling all my 3.0 drivers but have had no luck with using my motherboard with USB 3.0

Does anyone have any ideas, or can direct me maybe to the right drivers to use in case I am using the wrong ones?? I really would appreciate the help:

System:
                X5660 Xeon @ 4.56ghz
                12 GB ram 6 x 2GB
                SLI GPU
                Raid 0 in intel ports for Pro 840
                all other ports used on 3TB WD Red drives

Would love any input, I have a Dell monitor with a USB Hub but even that wont detect USB 3.0.

Please help me if you have any input

Comment

Working...
                X