No announcement yet.

PC hangs when detecting drives when Vertex 2e connected to Intel Sata sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC hangs when detecting drives when Vertex 2e connected to Intel Sata sockets

Nice to see you got this sorted out!

Now check your alignment to be sure it's proper since you used a cloning program as they do not all keep alignments properly.

Comment

Re: PC hangs when detecting drives when Vertex 2e connected to Intel Sata sockets

Originally posted by jojodancer View Post
      looks like there is still a problem to P55-UD5 if you have the latest firmware 1.11

Technical Discussion do you own a Gigabyte motherboard and have the SMART error with FW1.11...look inside
      I get no errors, and no hanging, works a treat. It was something in the cloning that caused the problem for me.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Nice to see you got this sorted out!

Now check your alignment to be sure it's proper since you used a cloning program as they do not all keep alignments properly.
      Alignments perfect, I used this handy calculator to check. It seems that Acronis 2010 will clone an already aligned W7 partition correctly, although they've just released 2011 and from what I was reading it still does not handle alignment correctly, I think the main problem is when cloning an XP installation. I also used Acronis to clone my W7 media center installation from a hard drive to an SSD and that was also aligned correctly.

PS Hard drive performance in the Windows Performance Index went from 7.1 to 7.4 by just changing to the Intel controller. I've also turned off the Gigabyte Sata ports, which greatly speeds up reboots.
      Last edited by Ronski; 09-13-2010, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I use Drive Snapshot for all my cloning purposes now, it will close to an already aligned partition, and it can backup a system and disregard the alignment which is very helpful when you want to re-image to a partition that is aligned differently.

AS SSD benchmark is a easy to way to see your alignment, in case you didn't know. Select the disk in question and it will show the alignment value and a Green OK if it's fine, or a Red Bad if it's not aligned
        Alex Intelligent Software - Downloads: AS SSD Benchmark

Comment

Thanks for the info on Drive Snapshot.

I was aware of AS SSD, I even have it installed, but alas had forgotten about the useful (and quick) little feature that it checks alignment.

Comment

Ya AS SSD is nice, be sure to update to the latest if you haven't already as the older one doesn't do the alignment check

Comment

Working...
            X