Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cntents of the motherboard install disk are actually necessary for full use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cntents of the motherboard install disk are actually necessary for full use

I am working up to yet another clean install. Reset CMOS, reinstall latest BIOS. Clean Win 7 64 install. My first install on the new machine worked fine. I have not been able to get back there.

I have spent a large amount of time trying to identify what is on the Gigabyte install disk and what parts of that is actually necessary to install for a basic system that makes use of all the facilities of the motherboard and Windows. My last attempt to actually use the disk resulted in a failed install. And everything on it is out of date anyway. There is a whole bunch of stuff on the disk whose purpose and necessity I simply can not understand. One particularly confusing question is which of the available Intel chipset and disk controller packages I need to actually install and in what order.

Some sources (like the MB manual) say I have to provide drivers during install. Other sources (web posts and Intel) say I don't. The names of the installation packages mutate (Intel being a particularly confusing set). I believe some named and separate installs are simply obsolete versions. And how does one actually install each of these files.

I just do not know what I am doing. Is there somewhere that I can find an understandable list of what actually needs to be installed on a GA-P55A-UD7 (minus comments like - well you don't need that if you ....). I want a fully functional install. Everything I paid for. All the motherboard and OS features that actually contribute something to the actual operation. I see massive installs that seem to do nothing but make the pretty lights flash, or use a lot of cpu for little or no reward, or constantly hit the disk drives. Obscure (bordering on spyware) packages (Browser Control Utility). There is just so much crap.

I have spent most of my days for over a month trying to figure this out. I have failed. Utterly and completely. I can't fix the old install and I don't know enough to install the correct drivers and applications from the list on this web site.

I feel like applying the AK-47 override command to the thing. All this from a bad update/deletion.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Re: What cntents of the motherboard install disk are actually necessary for full use

if your using windows 7 you dont need any drivers at all from the mb disk,whether you want to use raid or ahci windows 7 finds all the drivers for you even the lan so you can access the net right after finishing the install,you can then go to gigabytes website and download the newest versions of easytune and lan/audio drivers/inf chipset drivers if you want to,but its not essential,it will run fine with what windows installs

just remember to select ahci or ahci/raid in the bios before you install
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: What cntents of the motherboard install disk are actually necessary for full use

After installing Win 7, which of these should I run from here (http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html) to update what is installed - Intel RST, Matrix, inf, RAID. Others.
      Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
      i7 3770
      Integrated graphics
      Seasonic Platinum 760W
      Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by alternety View Post
        After installing Win 7, which of these should I run from here (http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ity-tools.html) to update what is installed - Intel RST, Matrix, inf, RAID. Others.
        What board do you have exactly? Though from experience, most Intel-based Gigabyte boards all share similar manufacturer parts.

You need:

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager is only needed if you run RAID. Though it was replaced by Intel Rapid Storage Technology which adds better support for TRIM.

If you do not have anything connected to the Gigabyte third-party ports (usually JMicron), just disable it in the BIOS. Will speed up your boot-time a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          if your using windows 7 you dont need any drivers at all from the mb disk
          I'm pretty sure if you want USB3.0 functionality, you'll need to load those manually....they are not built into Windows 7 ;)
          The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

Heat Team IRONMODS

Comment

Ga-p55a-ud7
            Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
            i7 3770
            Integrated graphics
            Seasonic Platinum 760W
            Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

In the JMicron ROM updater there are two files. 36xupd and dos4gw. Can anyone explain what each of these does and which one to use to update the MB JMicron ROM?
              Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
              i7 3770
              Integrated graphics
              Seasonic Platinum 760W
              Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

JMB362 chip:
                1. 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
                2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD
                A JMicron JBM36X R1.17.55 is a RAID driver, where R1.17.55 is the version. Windows 7 probably has those drivers already included in its library. Use Windows Update to see if there is a newer version. Check the device manager to see if you are missing any drivers.

I find most of the time that the motherboard driver disk isn't needed at all.

Comment

J.Micron ROM can't be updated by the end user without hacking a BIOS, it is part of the BIOS so would not be something you would normally update/edit.

No drivers on the disk as "Needed" as mentioned above, they are outdated and you should get any driver you need direct from the source or from your motherboard page.

Solidbladez linked about all you will need, USB 3 driver is on your motherboard page, as would be Marvell SATA 6Gb/s drivers

Comment

Working...
                  X