Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any gotcha's with a 980X and a UD9?

Helping a friend with a build.

Personally I have a UD3R and a 920 chugging away at 4.2ghz on air.

I'd think helping him would be straight foward replication of what I learned on my board, but just in case I thought I'd ask.

Re: Any gotcha's with a 980X and a UD9?

Should be just as easy for you since you already know the UD3R, same BIOS and all that so you should be good to go!

980X is a bit different than 930 though, uncore does not need to be 2x memory multi (But can be), it only needs to be 1.5 or above x memory multi.

That's about it, if you are helping him and once you get going, let us know if you run into any issues and we can help.

Comment

thanks LSD,

I really appreciate the work you put in here.

Comment

they pair up vary nicely
        I have had mine as high as 4.8 can run perfectly at 4.5 but will get warm while in game
        I run mine at 3.8 to 4.2
        Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
        Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
        Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
        2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
        6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
        2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
        Ultra X4 1200 Watt
        Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
        Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
        Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
        Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

Anytime!

Let us know how you get along with your build once everything arrives

Comment

So I helped him out the other night.

We got 4.0ghz stable as 30x133 w/ 1.30v
            4.23ghz would bluescreen prime95 w/ 1.35v
            Tempratures were in the 60c range

But the big issue was that he's got this 12gb kit
            Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1333C9LV12GK

pretty randomly the box would boot with 12gb visible but only 8gb available. Sometimes it would boot with all 12gb usable. very strange, never seen that before.

Comment

Missing memory is common on 1156/1366 and can be caused by a few things, uneven or not enough CPU heatsink pressure, Bent CPU Socket pins, or incorrect QPI/Vtt and or Dram voltages (Uncore settings at times too).

If you are sure there are NO bent socket pins, and the heatsink is mounted firmly, then it is most likely QPI/Vtt/Dram voltage issues. These can be easily corrected with some tinkering.

Did you set those yourself, and did you update to the latest BIOS?

Comment

I fixed dram at 1.64, I left QPI and Vtt at auto.

I didn't go to the beta bios, I went wit the last official bios.
                I was helping remotely so I can't vouge for heatsink tightness/pin straightness.

With QPI and VTT are you recomending bumping them slightly or just fixing them at stock?

Comment

both of those are probably it. Dram voltage with 12GB may need to be 1.66-1.68, actual will be less such as 1.64 is actually usually 1.62-1.63.

QPI/Vtt voltage on auto isn't going to work, you will need to tinker with this yourself until you find a working stable amount. First find the amount that gives steady 12GB, then memtest or prime, and if you get BSOD's during OS use or in OS testing that end in 124 you need more QPI/Vtt.

All CPU's are different, so not sure what exactly this one will need for 12GB, and it depends on the uncore and memory timings used as well as overall speeds. You may need to use uncore 2x +1 or +2, and then QPI/Vtt 1.3-1.425+ depending, it really may be something you need to do in person so you can actually test and retest to be sure you find the right amount.

Comment

Working...
                  X