GA-X58A-UD3 rev. 2.0 help - not seeing all memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3 rev. 2.0 help - not seeing all memory

I have a GA-X58A-UD5 rev. 2.0 motherboard, an i7-980X CPU, and G. SKILL F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI memory (CL 7-8-7-24-2N), all brand new. I hooked everything up, and the first time the system came up it recognized only 4GB of the 6GB of RAM. The stock BIOS (FA, I think) was not acting 100% fine - when I went into MB Intelligent Tweaker, then into MIT Current status, the keyboard would stop working.

I then checked the Gigabyte forum and this forum, and see that the RAM issue is not rare. The thread I read recommended I upgrade to the newest BIOS, which I did (Fb10). After installing it, the system would go into an long reboot cycle where it would say it was "Recovering lost DRAM size," which I never saw before with the stock BIOS version. If I let the system keep rebooting for a while, it will eventually boot up, and I was able to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Windows states that there is 6GB of RAM, but only 4GB is usable.

The thread I read talked a lot about using XMP and then setting things manually. Basically, I am not really interested in overclocking the CPU right now, and clocking the RAM at stock is fine as well. I just want the machine to recognize all 6GB of RAM and to be stable. I did swap out the keyboard with a better one, and when I got into MIT again, it stated that the system had rebooted several times due to overclocking, so the values may not be accurate.

Can someone talk me through the settings necessary to get the system reliable, or help me determine if I have a bad motherboard, CPU, or RAM? I am not familiar with overclocking, so bear with me if I ask basic questions.

Thanks!

Re: GA-X58A-UD3 rev. 2.0 help - not seeing all memory

One more thing I forgot to mention... for some reason, I do not seem to be able to reliably get into the BIOS setup (DEL key). With the second keyboard, it has a power LED. The one time I got into the BIOS without problems, I noticed that the LED was lit. However, most of the time the LED is not lit, and no matter how much I pound on the DEL key, it gets ignored.

In addition to the RAM questions above, is there some setting I can configure to make getting into the BIOS setup easier? I did not enable USB keyboard in DOS or anything.

Comment

you need to enable usb keyboard if your using usb,disable it only if your using a ps2 keyboard,what brand/model keyboard is it? as for the ram you might need to tweak qpi/vtt and set ram speed/timings manually without enabling xmp
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        you need to enable usb keyboard if your using usb,disable it only if your using a ps2 keyboard,what brand/model keyboard is it? as for the ram you might need to tweak qpi/vtt and set ram speed/timings manually without enabling xmp
        The settings in the BIOS regarding USB keyboard and mouse have to do with DOS, so I was unsure if I needed to enable it. I am trying to use two keyboards, one is a Microsoft Digital Media Pro, the other a generic Dell with a smart card reader. Neither can reliably get recognized during POST to allow me to hit DEL.

I am not enabling XMP. Can you suggest settings for QPI/VTT and the RAM speed/timings? There are so many settings I do not know where to begin.

Comment

you need to set the dram voltage to whats printed on the module,something like 1.5v or 1.6v or 1.66v,then set the qpi/vtt voltage to around 1.30000v and change the system memory multiplier to give you 1600mhz speed or close to just change spd to manual and then the multiplier to 8x/10x/12x ect to raise the memory speed,then select quick for timings and manually type in 7-8-7-24 going down the first 4 in the timing list
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

I feel for you I have the same motherboard and bios is only showing 4 gigs and windows shows 6 but only 4 usable. I also have checked all the pins reseated CPU 4 times just to make sure and still no go! I think its the Bios or MB to tell you the truth. I have been running stability test with only 4gbs all day and rock solid but it bugs me that I can't use the full 6gigs when I check my graphic card it shows that 2 gigs as being there and I have no idea how to get it back. I have tried to reinstall windows 7 and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Shauntx View Post
              I feel for you I have the same motherboard and bios is only showing 4 gigs and windows shows 6 but only 4 usable. I also have checked all the pins reseated CPU 4 times just to make sure and still no go! I think its the Bios or MB to tell you the truth. I have been running stability test with only 4gbs all day and rock solid but it bugs me that I can't use the full 6gigs when I check my graphic card it shows that 2 gigs as being there and I have no idea how to get it back. I have tried to reinstall windows 7 and everything.
              what ram are you using? did you lower your qpi freq with the 980x chip? maybe its too high following the normal 2x+1 method,for the 980x chips you can use much lower like 18x
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Advanced CPU Features:
                CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [25x]
                <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; COLOR: #2b65b0; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_3_0>Intel</NOBR>(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Disabled]
                CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
                CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
                C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
                CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Disabled]
                CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
                Virtualization Technology ................... [Disabled]
                Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Disabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
                QPI Link Speed .............................. x44
                Uncore Frequency .......................... x22
                Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Disabled]

Standard Clock Control:
                Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
                BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 168
                PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
                CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
                <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; COLOR: #2b65b0; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_15_0>PCI</NOBR> Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
                CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
                IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                Performance Enhance ...................... [Extreme]
                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [x10]
                DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual - Expert]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:

##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
                CAS Latency Time ...................... 9
                tRCD ....................................... 9
                tRP ......................................... 9
                tRAS ....................................... 24

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
                tRC ........................................Auto
                tRRD ....................................... Auto
                tWTR ...................................... Auto
                tWR ........................................ Auto
                tWTP ....................................... Auto
                tWL ........................................ Auto
                tRFC ....................................... 88
                tRTP ....................................... Auto
                tFAW ...................................... Auto
                Command Rate (CMD) ................ 2T

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
                Round Trip Latency ................... Auto

B2B CAS Delay .......................... Auto

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU

Load Line Calibration ................. [Enabled - Level 1]
                CPU Vcore ............................... 1.28750V
                QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.355
                CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... 1.8

MCH/ICH
                PCIE 1.500v ........................... 1.5
                QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... 1.2
                IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.16
                ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... 1.5
                ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.14

DRAM
                DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.66
                DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO

So far this processor has been the processor from hell lol however I pretty much have accepted that I won't be able to use the full 6gb :( If you see something in here that I can change please let me know and I will change. I did try and lower my uncore to 15-20 same problem.

Comment

Did you try QPI 1.25-1.425? You may just need more or less, or you may need to try Uncore 20 or 21 instead of 22.

Are you 100% sure you do not have any bent CPU Socket pins? If you are not sure please check, and take a few images from different angles and let us check for you.

It could also be the memory, sometimes a RMA replacement set solves this if nothing else does and you do not have any bent CPU socket pins.

Comment

Okay I'm going to take my CPU off again and try and take a picture for ya.

Comment

Be careful, and take images from a few angles under good lighting. Enable Macro on your camera if it has that setting.

What cooler are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by jgranto View Post
                        One more thing I forgot to mention... for some reason, I do not seem to be able to reliably get into the BIOS setup (DEL key). With the second keyboard, it has a power LED. The one time I got into the BIOS without problems, I noticed that the LED was lit. However, most of the time the LED is not lit, and no matter how much I pound on the DEL key, it gets ignored.

In addition to the RAM questions above, is there some setting I can configure to make getting into the BIOS setup easier? I did not enable USB keyboard in DOS or anything.
                        Hey these guys know what they are talking about when they say to check your pins if possible take pictures with a camera and show them because without out the help of admin here I would have thought all my pins were good. Now I can see all my memory 6gb and hopefully get this thing clocked VERY high. Good luck and if you want to share some bios let me know.

Comment

I found the problem - as indicated on other threads, this often happens when there are bent pins on the motherboard. This was my problem - I fixed the pins and the machine booted fine. I will be replacing the motherboard. Hopefully this helps someone else out.

Comment

Sorry to hear you had bent pins!

It's nice to hear you were able to fix them though! So why replace the board now after you fixed it?

Comment

Working...
                            X