Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UD9 + oversized CPU coolers + Tall ram heatspreaders is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD9 + oversized CPU coolers + Tall ram heatspreaders is it possible?

I am looking for the highest performance CPU air cooler that I can use with the following build:

LIAN LI PC-P80
    Intel Core i7-980X
    GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD9
    24GB G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II DDR3 2000 (8-9-8-24)
    LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner
    2 Seagate Barracuda XT
    SPARKLE COMPUTER CORP 1250W ATX12V
    2 x SPARKLE SXX4651024D5-NM GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi)

I was going to use a Noctua NH-D14 but I found it that it is too big to work with my RAM. Can I use Megahalems, Venomous X, or Cogage Arrow with my system? Are there other air coolers that I should consider? How far is the distance from the "CPU HIS" to the first memory slot on the UD9 Mobo?

Thanks for any help!

Re: UD9 + oversized CPU coolers + Tall ram heatspreaders is it possible?

megahalems should be ok and its second best to the HUGE noctua,i have two fans in push/pull on my board,i know its different but the cpu and ram slots are in the same place and it clears my ram although if your using 12gb in the blue slots too it will block th first blue ram slot from cpu socket

maybe someone with the same board can advise better but i think youll be fine with the megahalems

i have ocz reaper ram and they have huge heatspreaders on them,they dont cause any problems with my heatsink and two fans attached
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have 6 4GB ram sticks that I want to use so I need all of the DIMMS... So that means no megahalems?

Comment

you can still use a megahalems but it would be a tight fit with the ram module in the first blue slot from cpu socket and two fans,ive looked at mine and it might just clear the fan i cant say with the megahalems cooler though,you could always attach one fan in a pull setup,then the modules wouldnt be affected

look at this review with a megahalems and a ud9 it fouls the first blue ram slot with two fans attached

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Introduction :- Earlier last month a beast was born. That beast was called the Gigabyte X58A UD9. This is the latest and greatest to come from Gigabyte's stable in Taiwan and is the newest addition to the X58A family of motherboards. Gigabyte was founded in 1986 and have been making motherboards for over 2 decades now with revenues crossing the 2.5 Billion US $ mark. From the looks of it, all that experience and manufacturing might has been brought to bear on the Gigabyte X58A UD9. Designed
        Last edited by wazza300; 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM.
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Hmm that is interesting, I will look for a slim push and a fast pull fan. Is it possible to use two different fans on the same fan controller?

The other options that I am playing with is returning the ram and going with Kingston Hyperx, or perhaps looking at the dreaded water options...

I am afraid of water coolers due to dangers (water = conductive = scary in super expensive computer). Plus I am concerned with the required maintenance (don't you have to clean those out every size months) and what about the effects of corrosion in the water block and joints. Are these fears well placed in your opinion? I'm honestly not an expert at this. I'm just looking for a faster and cheaper alternative to the new mac pro. System will be 90% of work 10% for fun.

Thank you for your help... Its very valuable to me.

Comment

How would the Kingston Hyperx Ram compare to the Trident+ if I over-clock it? I read that 2000MHZ ram is better for six core processors then 1600mhz due to bottleneck issues.

Comment

i wouldnt go for any watercoolers like the h50 or coolit domino,there the same performance as a good aircooler and they do break and leak,i had a domino that leaked best go for custom watercooled setup if you wanted to go that way or buy one slim fan and one normal and use those,might need to have them the same rated speed if your using a splitter coming off one fan header or fan controller header if not then you can use them on seperate headers on the fan controller and control the speed to each fan
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by Ineedhelp4realyo View Post
                How would the Kingston Hyperx Ram compare to the Trident+ if I over-clock it? I read that 2000MHZ ram is better for six core processors then 1600mhz due to bottleneck issues.
                i dont know about it bottlenecking but with a hexacore chip it uses a lower uncore freq than the quads meaning you can run a higher ram speed and overclock better,so you will run 2000mhz speed better than you would with a 920/930 or any i7 quad,i dont know if you would manage to hit 12gb and 2000mhz though

best way is to buy a slimline fan for the push side of the heatsink
                Last edited by wazza300; 08-03-2010, 06:35 PM.
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

all i willl say is thats a lot of ram for that speed
                  remember the memory controler are now in the CPU & you can ave 2 intel 980x chip and there is a chance one will run better the the other

i have a 12gb kit of corsair that I was able to get to 1800 it was rated at 1600
                  Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
                  Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
                  Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
                  2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
                  6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
                  2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
                  Ultra X4 1200 Watt
                  Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
                  Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
                  Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
                  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Comment

a picture of the layout of the room... enough room for a Mod mountain case?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is there a way to test the chip to make sure I get a good one? How would I know what numbers I should compare it too?

Originally posted by Judge-dredd View Post
                      all i willl say is thats a lot of ram for that speed
                      remember the memory controler are now in the CPU & you can ave 2 intel 980x chip and there is a chance one will run better the the other

i have a 12gb kit of corsair that I was able to get to 1800 it was rated at 1600

Comment

Only way to know For Sure if you are getting a good chip or not is to buy a used one from a person you trust to tell you how the IMC is, otherwise it's all a crapshoot.

Comment

Working...
                        X