Gigabyte EX58 UD5 slowdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte EX58 UD5 slowdown

I have a Gigabyte EX58 UD5 and i7 920 D0 chip. Also 12GB of Corsair 1600 memory. I have had this machine running BCLK 166, multiplyer 21, 1.1875 Vcore, 3.5Ghz, Memory 1333, Timings 8-8-8-24. I am running Windows 7 64bit on it. I also run VM's on VMWare Server on this host machine. The machine has run great for months, temps under 100% load never exceeding 75 degrees. The machine runs constantly as some of the VM's are servers, and it also is a gaming machine with a ATI 4870 graphics card.

About a month ago I sat down at the machine and found it internet exploer and windows explorer to be unresponsive. Task manager was even locked up. The system seemed to be alive though, it would briefly refresh windows before hanging again. Strangely, I could remote desktop into the VMware clients running on the machine and they were running fine, so the problem seemed to be with the interface and the host OS graphics subsystem. Indeed there was a telling event log in Diagnostics - Performance saying there was a slowdown detected in the Windows desktop subsystem.

I thought that maybe my ATI 4870 was at fault, so I purchased a new Nvidia 460 to ensure change of hardware and graphics drivers to rule out that possibility too. To my surprise this did not resolve the problem. The system will run fine for a few hours or maybe even a few days, but always ends up back in this almost hung state, but with the VM's still running perfectly.

I re-installed windows 7 and ran without any additional drivers or security software, but the problem still happens. So the strange thing is the system seems to be throttling terribly, but the CPU temp is way down, 50's, and the GPU too. I can play modern games like DIRT2 for hours without any problems, but give it enough time sitting idly at windows desktop and it will enter this slowed state.

I changed my 2 boot drives to run off the ICH10 controller in RAID0, I used to use the Gigabyte RAID controller, but that was considerably slower. I have my 2 data drives in RAID1 also off ICH10.

So in brief my symptom is a slowdown, apparent hanging of the windows 7 system, but full and quick performance on the vmware clients. This setup has also not been changed so I don't understand why I am now getting all these problems, this system ran reliably like this before.

Any idea's

Re: Gigabyte EX58 UD5 slowdown

you need to disable eist,c1e c3/c5/c7 states in advanced cpu features in the bios,then go into windows/power saving options and select high performance and see if it makes a difference

the blue intel ports are the best regarding raid performance
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

RAID0 on the gigabyte RAID gave me read throughput of about 100MB/s wheras the intel port RAID0 gives 170 or so with the same drives.

I will try those power state settings when I get home, it could be going into one of them when left idle and then failing to return to normal, leaving the performance in a hole. holding thumbs!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice Wazza300. I have made the BIOS changes you suggested and the computer has run stably for a few days now. I hope this thread will be useful to people who end up with similair problems to the ones I was having.

Comment

you might also be able to enable eist,c1e and c3/c5/c7 states and just select high performance profile in windows,you will need to test,if it doesnt work then go back to first method

glad you fixed it though
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X