Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5870 Graphics Driver Crashing Randomly

Hi again,

I've been having this strange issue that seems to be rather common with the 58xx's. Essentially, the graphics drivers will crash randomly and the screen will display vertical lines (different colour each time) or go black for an instant or upto 30 seconds after which it recovers ("the driver amd... has timed out and has recovered" etc).

I've had this happen only while a) in a game, or b) watching video (GPU accelerated). It's also worth mentioning that I did RMA this GPU previously but they found no fault during the burn test.

My first guess was a bad overclock or the like so I dropped back to normal settings and still happened.

Right now I'm thinking that it's most likely a driver issue but I'm not really sure what the best way to deal with it is so. Heck, one person's thread I read said that it happened to be a single stick of his RAM that was not playing well with ATI so I honestly don't know. Other posts have suggested underclocking the GUP as a fix. ATI drivers are notoriously bad so it's also quite possible it's a issue moving between 2D/3D timings. Maybe it's an issue with the GPU bios (which is the latest, GV-R587UD-1GD F7) since someone said Sapphire's bios update fixed it for them - maybe it's worth trying F6 bios (does anyone have a link)?

Here's some material I've read...

AMD Game Forums - HD 5870 crashing? (stripes) (see post by Xanvast)
    AMD Game Forums - Radeon 5850 crashes fixed (RAM stick)
    AMD Game Forums - Radeon 4870 Graphic lockup crash fix

Any suggestions? Reading the responses isn't reassuring - some people waiting for 5 months for a fix that's yet to come... :(

Thanks.
    Last edited by kalidav; 07-27-2010, 07:34 AM.

Re: 5870 Graphics Driver Crashing Randomly

its the card,nothing else trust me,you can probably stop it happening by creating a profile in ccc,then looking in users/username/appdata/local/ati/ace then open profile with notepad and editing the 2d/3d clocks and voltages,but ive been through all of that with my first 5770 card and nothing whatsoever fixed it so i rma'd insisting on a new card and the replacement card has been fantastic,not one crash on any driver version from 10.4-10.7,i know u have different card but i had same problem only it wouldnt load into a 3d game without it displaying a random colour screen with lines on it

its not your pc's ram or overclock its the memory on the gpu crapping out,i dont get any crashes no matter what overclock i run on the pc

10.7 drivers released
    Last edited by wazza300; 07-27-2010, 07:46 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Alright, I've submitted an RMA request - see what they say. I'm a bit worried that because it happens kinda randomly they might think there's nothing wrong (and Gigabyte did test this along with my motherboard and the said it was okay in the burn test).

Comment

After a while of gaming artifacts started showing up just on the Windows desktop. Took it in this arvo.

Comment

artifacts on screen point to gpu memory
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

use futuremark to test your gpu and put all details at high

Comment

I found something in another forum that helped me with the driver crashing randomly along with some graphics glitches in Bad Company 2. There is a Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable that ATI drivers rely on and gets messed up when installing games and some software. I thought it was a long shot but it worked for me.

Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel and uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148, I am not sure if the version is different for different version of ATI drivers but this is what mine was called.

Then go to the place your ATI driver install extracted to when it installed and find the Install.exe for that Visual C++ Redistributable so you can reinstall it. Mine was in C:\ATI\Support\10-7_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_enu\Packages\Apps\VC8RTx6 4\vcredist_x64

After that reboot and see how it goes, my stuff went from seriously F'ed up to sweet, it seems that when ever and older Visual C++ Redistributable gets installed there is a good chance of F'ing up your ATI drivers. I have heard Crysis can cause it because it uses a C++ 2005, in my case I think it was my Creative Drivers for my X-Fi sound card.

Good Luck.

Comment

I've tried reinstalling drivers numerous times (different versions too) but that never resolved the issues. So far I haven't had any problems with my old 9600GT while I was for the 5870 to be returned on warranty. :)

(edit: including full wipe using driver sweeper)
                Last edited by kalidav; 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM.

Comment

give me your ccc profile

Comment

Originally posted by gasan View Post
                    give me your ccc profile
                    I haven't got that installed at the moment -already sent the card back.

Comment

Working...
                    X