GA-X58A-UD7 has 88/8B error and will not post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD7 has 88/8B error and will not post

So everything is plugged in (both the 24 and 8 pin power, etc) and when I boot up the computer all I get is a 88 (also read as 8B in some other posts I have seen) on the LEDs. The fans spin, the disk drive works, everything is powered except my computer will not post. I just transferred a working CPU and the RAM from another Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 board, so I know they are also compatible and working.

I'm very frustrated, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Just an update. Some other posts on this issue say to check to make sure that both power inputs are plugged in properly. Checked, checked, and triple checked. Everything is plugged in as it should be.

EDIT 2: Just to clarify, I had this exact setup with a previous UD7 board, which worked fine. After I transferred the components to the new UD7, it gives me the error. Post changed to reflect this.
    Last edited by Nostrum; 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM.

Re: GA-X58A-UD7 has 88/8B error and will not post

What CPU/CPU's are you trying to use?

What PSU are you using and have you tried another? Are you sure there is no bent CPU Socket pins?

This may just be b8/B8 meaning incompatible CPU, such as using a 980X CPU on a unsupported BIOS. I made note of this at the end of the X58 post codes listed in my signature, here's a link
    Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

So hopefully it is just this, and if so all you need to do is borrow an older CPU such as 920 so you can flash the BIOS.

If find this is the issue and get a older CPU, please flash with Qflash and disable Keep DMI Data during the update, here is a guide

Comment

Should have clarified:

I had this exact setup on another UD7 board which was damaged when a video card was removed. I had it working perfectly. When my old UD7 broke I bought a new UD7, and just switched out one motherboard for the new one in my case. No components changed.

I'm running a Intel 930 CPU, a Corsair HX1000 PSU, Cosrair dominator RAM, and Nvidia GTX 480 GPU. Like I said, all of this worked in my last board, but for some reason my new UD7 is kaput.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      What CPU/CPU's are you trying to use?

What PSU are you using and have you tried another? Are you sure there is no bent CPU Socket pins?

This may just be b8/B8 meaning incompatible CPU, such as using a 980X CPU on a unsupported BIOS. I made note of this at the end of the X58 post codes listed in my signature, here's a link
      Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

So hopefully it is just this, and if so all you need to do is borrow an older CPU such as 920 so you can flash the BIOS.

If find this is the issue and get a older CPU, please flash with Qflash and disable Keep DMI Data during the update, here is a guide
      http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Comment

Have you tried it out of the case yet to be sure there is no shorts?

Cleared the CMOS for 5-10 minutes yet? That would be my first step, before trying things outside of the case.

It still could be incompatible CPU, 930 is not supported until F5 BIOS, so if your new board shipped with F2-F4 it will not boot with that CPU and you will need to borrow a 920 to flash it

Comment

Have cleared the CMOS several times with no luck. Just tried outside of the case with no luck. Gah!

Shouldn't all new boards ship with F6?

Have you tried it out of the case yet to be sure there is no shorts?

Cleared the CMOS for 5-10 minutes yet? That would be my first step, before trying things outside of the case.

It still could be incompatible CPU, 930 is not supported until F5 BIOS, so if your new board shipped with F2-F4 it will not boot with that CPU and you will need to borrow a 920 to flash it

Comment

No boards might ship with older BIOS, and Rev, 1.0 is being phased out anyway right now, so what you bought would be old stock and could have been sitting there for months and may have any BIOS from F2 to F4

I assume this is the problem, it's the only time I have seen this debug code

Comment

I've heard about rev 2.0 in the past and I've looked online for rev 2.0 to no avail. Where can I get that board?

No boards might ship with older BIOS, and Rev, 1.0 is being phased out anyway right now, so what you bought would be old stock and could have been sitting there for months and may have any BIOS from F2 to F4

I assume this is the problem, it's the only time I have seen this debug code
              Last edited by Nostrum; 07-21-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

It will not be for sale until all shops sell off all the old stock of rev. 1.0. I do believe they all have the boards by now as they shipped out a while ago, they are just holding back to try and sell as many of the rev 1.0 boards they can first.

All you need is a CPU to flash with, no one you can borrow a 920 from?

Comment

Nope, no one to borrow a 920 from, unfortunately. I'd be much happier with the rev 2.0 board anyway, so I would gladly nab one up given the chance. Maybe my Microcenter will sell me one if I call up and ask?

It will not be for sale until all shops sell off all the old stock of rev. 1.0. I do believe they all have the boards by now as they shipped out a while ago, they are just holding back to try and sell as many of the rev 1.0 boards they can first.

All you need is a CPU to flash with, no one you can borrow a 920 from?

Comment

They might sell you one, but they are probably told by the stock manager to say "none in stock yet"

Buy a 920, flash, return same day :)

Comment

I'll give it a shot.

In any case, I just plugged everything back into my second UD7 (the one with the broken PCIE slot) and everything posted fine. At least I have the piece of mind that this is definitely a motherboard problem and not a CPU or RAM issue. At this point, it might be either a broken board or a F5 board. I don't really feel like buying a 920 and flashing when I can just replace the unit, so it's back to the store for me. Ugh.

They might sell you one, but they are probably told by the stock manager to say "none in stock yet"

Buy a 920, flash, return same day :)

Comment

Nice to hear everything is fine otherwise, ya I am 99.9% sure this board needs a BIOS update for your 930.

Sorry you aren't next door I'd stop on by and help you get this flashed!

Comment

You've been amazingly helpful, Lsdmeasap. Thank you so much! This problem was driving me crazy, and it feels great to at least have an answer.

Nice to hear everything is fine otherwise, ya I am 99.9% sure this board needs a BIOS update for your 930.

Sorry you aren't next door I'd stop on by and help you get this flashed!

Comment

you could try taking the mb and cpu along with the latest bios on a usb stick to a local pc store and ask if they would be kind enough to plop in a 920 chip and flash the bios for you,then you would have a working chip/mb
                            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ya that would be a good idea too! Might cost you a few bucks though, but if you live in a medium-large town you should have no problem finding a shop to do it for you or let you do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X