Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x58a ud3r rev1 cold boot problem

hi everyone. my first post

I built my computer roughly 6 months ago and noticed the problem the first time I switched it on. It wouldn't post, lights and fans would go on but that's it. It didn't bother me too much because i just had to push the reset button to make it boot. but it would also get the windows failed to boot message which worried me a bit.

anyway I didn't bother trying to diagnose the problem until i started oc'ing, it would reset my oc settings every time it failed to boot which was getting annoying. I found out that it booted fine when i removed all the sata components, hdd, dvd drive, and esata.

any ideas? btw it doesn't fail to boot everytime. like 80% of the time

ga-x58a-ud3r
    i7 920
    g skill trident 1600 6gb ram
    xfx hd5870 xxx
    cooler master 80+ 650w

Re: x58a ud3r rev1 cold boot problem

have you cleared the cmos fully by removing mb battery for 30mins? plug your os hdd into port 0 and your dvd drive into port 5,make note of any bios settings as clearing cmos will wipe them,also try disableing any floppy drives from the bios and boot order disable drive A also
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

no i haven't, I'll do that tomorrow and let you know the result.

I didn't think it would be bios settings related because i had the problem the first time i turned it on and also just updated the bios the other night which i thought would've cleared all settings

Comment

did you load optimized defaults after flashing bios? and clear dmi pool data before you flashed with q-flash?best to try removing battery for 30mins just to be sure,make sure you update the intel inf drivers too from gigabytes website,if its still doing it after all that you need to fill out a bios template with your settings

Gigabyte BIOS Templates (To Give Us Your Settings)
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          did you load optimized defaults after flashing bios? and clear dmi pool data before you flashed with q-flash?best to try removing battery for 30mins just to be sure,make sure you update the intel inf drivers too from gigabytes website,if its still doing it after all that you need to fill out a bios template with your settings

Gigabyte BIOS Templates (To Give Us Your Settings)

clear dmi pool? i flashed in windows. i got f5. I'll try flash it to the f6b bios first. see if that helps

Comment

i updated to f6, cleared dmi pool and seems to be working a lot better. thanks for your help
            although the problem came back when i enabled sata native mode. maybe i should leave that disabled or see if there's a firmware update for my hdd?

Comment

Nice to see you got this going!

Please do not flash in windows using @BIOS anymore, always flash using Qflash or DOS, here is a guide

Native mode shouldn't affect anything, what issue is it causing you?

What ports do you have your OS drive and CD/DVD drive connected to, color and #?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Nice to see you got this going!

Please do not flash in windows using @BIOS anymore, always flash using Qflash or DOS, here is a guide

Native mode shouldn't affect anything, what issue is it causing you?

What ports do you have your OS drive and CD/DVD drive connected to, color and #?
                yea i flashed with qflash.

getting the same problem. doesnt cold boot. fans and lights go on but thats it.

um they in the intel ports? not the gsata one. os in port 0 and dvd in 5

Comment

Thanks, just checking on your drives is all.

Cold boot issues eh, so you get them with native enabled, but when disabled you don't?

If so that is odd for sure, are you stable 100% otherwise, tested with a few stability apps, once in the OS?

Comment

no i haven't tested it. what kind of apps?

I googled my hdd. wd10ears , apparently it's not a very good hdd.
                    Last edited by z3phyr; 07-21-2010, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Ahh well that is likely the problem, you need to be stable before you wont have cold boot issues.

You need to test with memtest86+, then Prime95 or LinX, ect. You can get all the latest versions of these here

If you are unstable I can help you with your BIOS settings, then once you get a bit more stable you shouldn't have cold boot issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        Ahh well that is likely the problem, you need to be stable before you wont have cold boot issues.

You need to test with memtest86+, then Prime95 or LinX, ect. You can get all the latest versions of these here

If you are unstable I can help you with your BIOS settings, then once you get a bit more stable you shouldn't have cold boot issues.

yeah I've tested with memtest before anything else a few days ago. only ran for one cycle though. I'm impatient. and prime95 i ran for roughly 30mins. all stable. I'll try memtest again since I've oc'ed my machine again.

Comment

Memtest86+ you need to run at least 5-10 passes, and prime95 at least 6-10 hours minimum really, especially since you are having issues.

Then if you pass that without error you will know your settings are not causing it

Comment

you could try testing with another hdd installed instead of the wd?? see if problem goes away...thats if you have a spare hdd to try with
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                              you could try testing with another hdd installed instead of the wd?? see if problem goes away...thats if you have a spare hdd to try with
                              nah pretty sure its not the hdd now. it wouldnt post either when i pulled out the hdd. maybe faulty board?

already ran memtest86. might run prime tomorrow

hmm... what else could it be

i oc'ed using your template btw

Comment

Working...
                              X