• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 - Errors running Prime95 or LinX tests

I am building a new PC:
    Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)
    BIOS-Version: F5
    Graphic: Zotac GeForce GTX 470 1280MB DDR5
    CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @2800MHz (default)
    RAM: OCZ3G1333LV4G, 3 sticks of 4GB
    PSU: Corsair HX850W 850W
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB

I am not overclocking, but I did have to manually set the RAM to 1333 and the timings to 9-9-9-20-1T according to the manufacturer.

The rest of the settings in the bios are default.

If I have all three RAM sticks in slots 1,3, 5, I can run Memtest86 overnight without errors.

However, when I boot windows 7 64bit and run Prime95, I get an error almost right away: "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" on multiple threads.

I have tried tweaking the RAM voltages and timings, but I always get this error.

Or I can only get LinX test to run for 5 to 10 minutes before getting an error.

If I install one RAM stick at a time in slot 1, I can run either Prime95 or LinX without any problems. I get no errors with any of the 3 sticks installed by themselves in slot-1.

So, I am pretty sure it's not the RAM or the timings since everything works with one stick.

Do I have a defective motherboard? Can you think of any other reason why I would be getting errors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Darin

P.S. Sorry about the cross post on the Gigabyte Forum, but I wasn't sure if this forum has more readers.

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 - Errors running Prime95 or LinX tests

its probably due to voltages being left on auto, 3 main voltages to set manually are dram,cpu and qpi/vtt......if your at stock clocks then set dram to either 1.5v or 1.66 in bios according to ram,set cpu voltage to normal setting if unstable then set to 1.25v,set qpi/vtt voltage to 1.30000v then test with prime95
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I forgot to say that i already set the DRAM voltage to 1.66 since the RAM spec says 1.65. Do you think it matters if I set it to 1.66 or 1.64? In any case, I get the same errors.

My QPI/vtt I tried at default, 1.15V. I also tried at 1.20, 1.28, and 1.300V. Still the same errors.

The CPU voltage is set to 1.29v.

With my previous settings, I tried one RAM stick at a time in slot 1, then slot 3 , then slot 5. I got no errors on any test.

As per your suggestions, I used your settings:
      CPU Core: 1.25V
      QPI/vtt: 1.300V
      RAM: 1.66V

If I have all three sticks in slot 1,3,5, then I get errors almost immediately after starting the Prime95 test.

With those settings and only one RAM stick, I get no errors.

I feel like I have ruled out bad RAM since Memtest86 has no errors with all sticks installed.

I think I have ruled out a bad RAM socket since I get no errors if I use each socket by itself.

The main issue is with all three sticks at once.

I will try two sticks at a time next.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
      -Darin

Comment

its normal to set 1.66 for 1.65,it will only use 1.648v in windows,you might need more qpi/vtt voltage try from 1.3 to 1.38v,ahhhhhh 3 sticks of 4gb? so 12gb of ram? you will need alot more qpi/vtt with 12gb try with 1.4v for qpi/vtt
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Sorry about being a noob...

I had no idea that QPI/vtt had anything to do with the AMOUNT of RAM I have.

Yes, 12GB total.

I tried setting QPI/vtt to 1.40v, unfortunately sames as before, errors right away and a BSOD once in a while.

Should I keep raising the QPI/vtt until it works?

Is there an upper limit at which point I would damage something?

I get scared when I start using values that are "pink" in the bios. Makes me think I am risking burning something up...

Thanks again for your help,

-Darin

Comment

your safe to go up to 1.5v,personally i wouldnt go higher than 1.45v but its up to you,are you using the latest bios?
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I have tried everything with no luck. Using Easy Tune 6, I found that I had fewer errors with QPI/vtt set to 1.34V than if I had it up at 1.40V. Regardless, by fewer errors I was only able to get Prime95 to run for 6 minutes before getting errors.

There are no settings I can find that will run Prime95 for longer than 6 minutes.

I tried running with just two sticks of RAM last night and Prime95 ran for about 3.5 hours before getting errors, to even with two sticks I am getting errors.

I am thinking I should try different RAM even though Memtest 86 gives me no errors.

I have no idea what else to try.

-Darin

Comment

Do you get BSOD's or just errors?

Try using 1.14-1.24 IOH voltage, and yes with 12GB you may need 1.3-1.5+ QPI/Vtt, even though you see less errors at 1.4 that may not mean above that wont help so be sure to try it out.

Another reason could be this memory just is not fully compatible with this board/BIOS yet, so you may need to try different memory or see if you can get Gigabyte or OCZ to validate this memory for this board

Comment

Thanks for helping.

I do get BSOD's. If I leave the system idle overnight, in the morning it will be BSOD. The Prime95 test is just a lot quicker to check for errors. I can run programs on the PC, but it can take a while for a BSOD. But eventually it always does crash.

I tried changing IOH from 1.14 to 1.24 and most values in between. Still the same problem.

I also tried changing QPI/vtt from 1.15 all the way up to 1.5. Still errors.

I am assuming that setting the values in Easy Tune 6 is a reliable way of changing voltages for testing? If not, then it's going to take a LOT longer to have to reboot every time I change a setting.

I am thinking I am just going to have to try different RAM.

-Darin

Comment

What is the BSOD code when you restart the machine?

The last 4 digits are what matters, it will be shown on the 2-3 line in the window that comes up after a reboot from BSOD

BSOD Error codes and what they mean:
                    0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
                    0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
                    0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage

Yes you can use easytune to test these voltages, it might just be the memory is not compatible is all.

If you get new memory I'd suggest only 6GB, unless you absolutely have to have 12GB for work or something

Comment

Thanks for helping.

Is there a way to get the BSOD codes if I already closed that window? (I forgot to check.) I guess since it crashes so often, I'll be sure to get those codes next time.

I am not using this computer for gaming. I am using it for HD video editing and high res photo editing in Photoshop.

So, from what I have read, 12GB will really make a difference especially when editing 1080p video. (Many video editors have machines with multiple CPU's and 12GB PER CPU!)

However, if it means spending days and days troubleshooting and/or buying returning RAM, etc. then maybe I should just go with 6GB.

One other thought, if I start with 6 now and then add an additional 6GB later, does having 6 DIMMs as opposed to 3 DIMMs make any difference?

Thanks,
                      -Darin

Comment

So I was not able to find 3x4GB sticks of RAM locally. (Well, they had them, but they wanted $500!)

So I bought DDR3 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz C7 CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 instead.

Installed it and loaded the XMP Profile (7. Kept the QPI/vtt at 1.24V instead of the default 1.15V.

So far it's been running Prime95 for 60 minutes without any errors. I know I still need to test longer, but with the 12GB OCZ RAM, I never got past 6 minutes without errors.

I have a good feeling about the new RAM. Now I just have to decide if I want to try 3 more sticks of 2GB to get to 12GB...

-Darin

Comment

Yes, luckily for you I have been crashing my system the past few days alot pushing memory clocks for a review, so I easily found how to find the info for you.

In even viewer, you will find it as shown in this image, in the windows/system log section. Event viewer is in the administrative tools section of the all programs list in the start menu, if you do not have that then right click your taskbar and choose properties, then advanced start menu customize, then scroll to the bottom and select show on start menu for the admin options.

Here is how to sort out everything but the BSOD's

Sorry, auto resize, full image here

12GB via 6 sticks might be easier for you to use and get stable, as many more of those kits would be validated and compatible. I see you edit video and such, but if you really dont need 12GB it isn't going to help, well I mean you would know if you needed it as it wouldn't be a question you would know you need it because you always ran out of memory editing something.

I think you will have much better luck and save some cash too by just picking up another set of what you just bought, glad to hear it's working by the way!
                          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-15-2010, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just for kicks I will check to see the codes.

But for now since everything is working rock solid, I am just going to return the other RAM.

To be honest, I don't know for sure that I need 12GB, but from what I've read, other video editors are talking about 24GB of RAM being ideal, but you can get by with "only" 12GB!

Right now I am editing on a Win XP 32bit system! So even 6GB of RAM will seem like a lot.

However, from what I gather, playing back multiple streams of HD video can require a huge amount of resources. Also many of the effects can also eat up a lot of resources if they are to be played back in real-time. So I think it's the difference between the video stuttering and playing back slow, which is what my system does now.

I'll stick with 6GB for now until I do some testing with some real work. For now I am just excited to finally be able to load software and get this system running!

Thanks for all your help,

-Darin

Comment

Ya check em out, might just be you needed more Vcore or Vtt, and you may be able to still use the other ram if you wanted to try again with more knowledge under your belt.

Well what others need may not be what you need, so that is why I was saying things how I was. If you need it or think you might come close to using 12GB all at once in a few projects then by all means go ahead and use it, I was just trying to save you $$ and hassles if you didn't really need it or use it.

Stuttering and or slow HD playback would also have to do largely with your GFX card and CPU speeds too, not just memory amounts or speeds. You can look in taskmanager at anytime, in the resources/performance tab and see just how much actual memory you are using.

Well enjoy your system for a bit now finally! Once you get into trying the other memory again or deciding on what to do stop back and let us know how things are going or what you are thinking about doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X